Jump to content

Because The United Kingdom?


Mr King
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Ivanhoe said:

I had Harrow bookmarked on Hulu. I got partway through the 1st episode and lost interest, probably not due to the story itself but personal factors.

Very interesting seed for a story line, I'll give them that.

 

I am almost enjoying season 13 of Dr Who, there have been a few interesting lines dropped in like when the Doctor enqires:

"What's the flux?"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the Rolls Royce electric plane - it's a technology demonstrator. It shows that RR and it's aviation partner can package a high power, light weight electric power train into a specific form factor to achieve a specific target. it doesn't have to show any kind of specific utility beyond that. it establishes RR as a player in the small electric powered aviation market, and I understand that RR is targeting the "air taxi" market that it thinks has a chance of succeeding.

I note that the Wright Flyer does not demonstrate anything beyond "we have an air vehicle that is heavier than air and can carry one man". it is itself a technology demonstrator. The specifics of the first flight are of minimal to no relevance, because the aircraft flew, was controllable and was obviously not a glider. Cavilling about the details of that first flight is like complaining that Orville wasn't fat enough to be a typical 21st century air passenger.

Unfortunately, the moment Stuart touch-types his way into a topic using everything but his brain, everyone else goes mad. instead of ignoring the nonsense, it all becomes another piranha-pool feeding frenzy and yet more opportunities for Stuart to roll his forehead over that keyboard.

For my part, I'm keen to acknowledge the achievement, as a demonstrator and a bit of nice PR. The plane is cool, I think pointless chasing after records is cool too. A bit like landing on the moon and then not following up on it for 50 years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, DB said:

On the Rolls Royce electric plane - it's a technology demonstrator. It shows that RR and it's aviation partner can package a high power, light weight electric power train into a specific form factor to achieve a specific target. it doesn't have to show any kind of specific utility beyond that. it establishes RR as a player in the small electric powered aviation market, and I understand that RR is targeting the "air taxi" market that it thinks has a chance of succeeding.

I note that the Wright Flyer does not demonstrate anything beyond "we have an air vehicle that is heavier than air and can carry one man". it is itself a technology demonstrator. The specifics of the first flight are of minimal to no relevance, because the aircraft flew, was controllable and was obviously not a glider. Cavilling about the details of that first flight is like complaining that Orville wasn't fat enough to be a typical 21st century air passenger.

Unfortunately, the moment Stuart touch-types his way into a topic using everything but his brain, everyone else goes mad. instead of ignoring the nonsense, it all becomes another piranha-pool feeding frenzy and yet more opportunities for Stuart to roll his forehead over that keyboard.

For my part, I'm keen to acknowledge the achievement, as a demonstrator and a bit of nice PR. The plane is cool, I think pointless chasing after records is cool too. A bit like landing on the moon and then not following up on it for 50 years.

Some brilliant sentences.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, DB said:

On the Rolls Royce electric plane - it's a technology demonstrator. It shows that RR and it's aviation partner can package a high power, light weight electric power train into a specific form factor to achieve a specific target. it doesn't have to show any kind of specific utility beyond that. it establishes RR as a player in the small electric powered aviation market, and I understand that RR is targeting the "air taxi" market that it thinks has a chance of succeeding.

I note that the Wright Flyer does not demonstrate anything beyond "we have an air vehicle that is heavier than air and can carry one man". it is itself a technology demonstrator. The specifics of the first flight are of minimal to no relevance, because the aircraft flew, was controllable and was obviously not a glider. Cavilling about the details of that first flight is like complaining that Orville wasn't fat enough to be a typical 21st century air passenger.

Unfortunately, the moment Stuart touch-types his way into a topic using everything but his brain, everyone else goes mad. instead of ignoring the nonsense, it all becomes another piranha-pool feeding frenzy and yet more opportunities for Stuart to roll his forehead over that keyboard.

For my part, I'm keen to acknowledge the achievement, as a demonstrator and a bit of nice PR. The plane is cool, I think pointless chasing after records is cool too. A bit like landing on the moon and then not following up on it for 50 years.

And the moment YOU forcibly insert yourself into a discussion, you can be guaranteed a journey into priggishness.

Note, I posted a single twitter post showing the aircraft, this not being a particularly unreasonable act by Tanknet standards, and all of you have gone off on one on your own personal hobby horse. Tim against any form of unconventional energy, Bojan because he loathes anything with a British flag on it in principle,  you taking a pop at me because its your own personal hobby horse.

You know what, post your own bloody content, you pompous ass.

 

Edited by Stuart Galbraith
Link to comment
Share on other sites

An electric aircraft is certainly an interesting thing.  It may lead to bigger and better things or it may not, but it was worth doing and worth hearing about.  Obviously, it's not going to replace turboprops and turbofans tomorrow, or even piston engined small planes.  It might never, or it might find a niche.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stuart, by my own observation, Bojan dislikes hyperbole and perpetuation of long-held but incorrect historical "facts". If you believe that his dislike applies only to things British, then you need to ponder who it is that sources most of the British information that he takes issue with on this forum. Most other posters manage to present facts when they're trying to, and except in direct politics, most are willing to entertain the possibility that their facts may be disputable. You often claim to have that flexibility, but it only ever appears when you've been backed into the Internet's equivalent of coffin corner by your stubbornness.

Finally, in terms of usefulness of content, I personally find that the least useful posts on this forum are, in no particular order:

- Posts where people cut and past a news article without critical comment, or context. This is usually topped off by using formatting that is invisible to those who use the forum's default dark theme.

- Posts that comprise an embedded twitter comment with no critical comment or context.

- Posts that comprise an embedded youtube video with no critical comment or context.

There is a common theme to these bullets - the lack of added value is both lazy and intellectually sterile.

Your mileage may vary, of course, along with the number of excess apostrophes and/or "m"s.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, DougRichards said:

I am almost enjoying season 13 of Dr Who, there have been a few interesting lines dropped in like when the Doctor enqires:
 

Can't stand new Who. One of the great things about a long running series is the long history/depth/sophistication of the story line. New Who retcons EVERYTHING. 

The writers should be condemned to wasteful isolation and suffering on the plains of Skaro with Michael Grade. 

Edited by rmgill
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, rmgill said:

Can't stand new Who. One of the great things about a long running series is the long history/depth/sophistication of the story line. New Who retcons EVERYTHING. 

The writers should be condemned to wasteful isolation and suffering on the plains of Skaro with Michael Grade. 

I would not be as kind. I would dress them up as children and use them in a reboot of Jim will fix it there probably enough 70s stars to take Jimmy Saviles place. They have done to the franchise as Jimmy Savile did to his contests and it still keeps within the BBC. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, DB said:

Unfortunately, the moment X touch-types his way into a topic using everything but his brain, everyone else goes mad. instead of ignoring the nonsense, it all becomes another piranha-pool feeding frenzy and yet more opportunities for X to roll his forehead over that keyboard.

How to enter Tank-net lore? 

Mando Way This Is The Way GIF - Mando Way This Is The Way Mandalorian -  Descubre & Comparte GIFs

:D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Wobbly Head said:

I would not be as kind. I would dress them up as children and use them in a reboot of Jim will fix it there probably enough 70s stars to take Jimmy Saviles place. They have done to the franchise as Jimmy Savile did to his contests and it still keeps within the BBC. 

For those people not in the know. It turns out that Jimmy Saviles was sexually abusing children throughout his life which included when he did Jim'll Fix It.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Stuart? 😛

 

Quote

Bomb squad race to A&E after patient arrives with WW2 artillery shell stuck up his bottom

THE bomb squad raced to an A&E after a patient arrived with an artillery shell stuck up his behind.

Army explosives experts were scrambled after medics feared the anti-tank round could be about to explode.

The unnamed patient told doctors he “slipped and fell” on the 17cm by 6cm armour-piercing projectile taken from his private arsenal of military collectables.

It was later identified as being a World War Two 57mm shell that were typically fired from six-pounder anti-tank guns.

469f39e9-4dab-4087-9775-9ab9b827de94.jpg

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/16923295/bomb-squad-hospital-bottom-shell/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Must be one of you furriners. A good honest British soddomite wouldnt settle for less than a 17 Pounder.

When I worked for the vacuum company, there was a story that a man once rang up asking for help having stuck the handle of a DCO1 Vacuum cleaner up his bottom which he was unable to retrieve. I think they advised him the emergency services were probably better equipped, but they could mail him a replacement if they wished.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

Must be one of you furriners. A good honest British soddomite wouldnt settle for less than a 17 Pounder.

...

Morbid curiosity: With or without brass cartridge?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...