Because The United Kingdom?

Mr King

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The proposal is probably a backlash from what I believe to be the deliberate suppression of the old system by politicians/snivelling servants back in the day. The original requirement was for the metric system to be the clearest measurement system on packaging - i.e. it could not be hidden in small print compared to any other measurement system. It was never necessary to eliminate the old system at all.

in fact, the only place where the UK didn't forbid old units was in liquid measure, where pints were still used (and gallons for fuel for years, although that was eventually crushed too.)

You can still see that milk cartons are typically (multiples of) one pint and marked with 568ml clearly alongside/underneath the imperial measure.

Old fools trying to reverse time back to "the good old days" are idiots, however, and forcing measures back to the old way only would be stupid.

Well even the 'mile' was originally a metric measurement, from the Latin for one thousand.  A Roman mile being one thousand legionary double paces, each half pace being thirty inches, giving a mile of 6000 single paces or 5000 feet each of 12 inches, or 60,000 inches.

So Europeans have been imposing some form of metric on parts of the British Isles for at least the 1978 years.

On 9/18/2021 at 4:58 PM, DougRichards said:

Well even the 'mile' was originally a metric measurement, from the Latin for one thousand.  A Roman mile being one thousand legionary double paces, each half pace being thirty inches, giving a mile of 6000 single paces or 5000 feet each of 12 inches, or 60,000 inches.

So Europeans have been imposing some form of metric on parts of the British Isles for at least the 1978 years.

The mile is inherently Imperial, Roman to be exact.

9 hours ago, Ivanhoe said:

The mile is inherently Imperial, Roman to be exact.

1978 years since the Roman invasion and occupation of the south of the British Isles... 

which happens to remind me

As Christ came into the world in around 6BC, and was crucified and resurrected 33 years later (ie 27AD or 27 CE,) we are rapidly approaching two millennium since that event....

If a Roman Mile was 1000 double paces, then perhaps a true millennium is actually 1000 double years? 

What should we expect in six years time?

Edited by DougRichards
comment

4 hours ago, DougRichards said:

What should we expect in six years time?

Covid 27s

• Operating ambient temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
  • Operating altitude: tested up to 10,000 feet (3000 m)
  • Standby: Up to 16 days
  • Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
  • Rated IP67 (maximum depth of 1 meter up to 30 minutes) under IEC standard 60529
  • Brominated flame retardant‑free
  • Burst mode
  • Video geotagging
  • Retina Flash
  • LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40, 41)
  • Assisted GPS, GLONASS, Galileo, and QZSS
  • Built-in stereo speaker
  • Built-in microphone
  • Lightning conductor
  • Size and weight vary by configuration and manufacturing process.
  • Made in China

1 hour ago, Coldsteel said:

Fine. Develop your own viral standard then. See if I care!

The nice thing about viral standards is that there are so many to choose from.

On 9/18/2021 at 3:55 PM, DB said:

The proposal is probably a backlash from what I believe to be the deliberate suppression of the old system by politicians/snivelling servants back in the day. The original requirement was for the metric system to be the clearest measurement system on packaging - i.e. it could not be hidden in small print compared to any other measurement system. It was never necessary to eliminate the old system at all.

Then why were folks from the government going around and imposing fines for this? I seem to recall one story of a butcher Shop getting fined for having a scale off to the side that was not being used but as it was in Pounds, it was a violation. 

Because the British Government takes law very seriously. Whereas most other European nations seem to take EU directives as a guide to be ignored as required, we took it seriously. In fact, I gather the EU was horrified at people being taken to court over measurements, something they did not intend when they created the EU directive.

On 9/18/2021 at 11:15 AM, sunday said:

If they are thinking that will be enough to put some kind of human being* in the Moon...

*Man is such an insensitive word.

What about all the otherkin???!?

The UK enacted laws that reached further than the European requirement. As I think I mentioned, I believe that this was to deliberately suppress the old measures for whatever reason.

8 minutes ago, DB said:

The UK enacted laws that reached further than the European requirement. As I think I mentioned, I believe that this was to deliberately suppress the old measures for whatever reason.

One of those Sir Humphreys in a power trip, probably. I think the question of imperial measures was one of the most flagrant cases of bureaucracy overreach with the excuse of European standards.

Edited by sunday

'Loch Ness Monster' caught on drone footage by wild camper

A wild camper was shocked to catch the ‘ Loch Ness Monster ’ on his 4k drone footage.

Richard Mavor couldn’t believe the video he had taken after eagle eyed viewers spotted a mysterious creature in the water.

The 54-year-old pilot was filming footage for his Youtube channel, Richard Outdoors, when he accidentally caught the figure swimming on the banks of the loch in August.