Because The United Kingdom?

Mr King

Well, ive an odd view on drama. I think insisting on it having to be a particular race, whether Asian, White, Black, is racist. I think the theatre is flexible enough to accomodate anyone playing anyone, if the drama is engrossing enough. For example, when Shakespere first staged his plays, ALL the women parts had to be played by fella's. Nobody thought anything of it. It was only when Charles II got on the throne, I believe he mandated that women were allowed to play womens parts. Im sure that was a step forward, yet clearly it didnt hinder the theatre any that they were not allowed in those parts and it was essentially drag parts.

When BBC were staging Richard III, one of the female parts, the Queen Margaret, Queen of Henry VI, was played by a black actress, Sophie Okonedo. Yes, historically it was historically inaccurate, but she played it well which is the only point that matters.  I think you have to look at the truth of how they are playing the part than just get hung up on a race, which frankly goes in either direction. There is no reason a white man shouldnt play Martin Luther King or Malcolm X. In fact I think if someone did, and turned the entire race of the participants on its head, it might actually make for an interesting perspective for the audience.

Ive never seen Hamilton. It looks to me facile reducing epic history to musical soundbites, but then I like Les Miserables, which is pretty much the same thing, so Ive no place to judge.

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The stage is such an artificial environment that alternative casting and settings can work well.  Film tends to require more realism or it risks breaking the willing suspension of disbelief.

As for the current distaste for White, cisgendered, able bodied actors playing roles that aren't supposed to be White, cisgendered, able bodied, besides ensuring non White etc. actors get work, there's a reaction against things like John Wayne and Mickey Rooney playing Asians.

41 minutes ago, R011 said:

The stage is such an artificial environment that alternative casting and settings can work well.  Film tends to require more realism or it risks breaking the willing suspension of disbelief.

As for the current distaste for White, cisgendered, able bodied actors playing roles that aren't supposed to be White, cisgendered, able bodied, besides ensuring non White etc. actors get work, there's a reaction against things like John Wayne and Mickey Rooney playing Asians.

Yeah, I think there is much truth in that.

I guess the difference is, because its Shakespeare,you know full well its about the ideas, not really about the accuracy. Henry V and Henry IV play fast and loose with details to make a point anyway. When you have by contrast a TV drama or Film about Churchill, they really have to go all in and make sure whomeever it is really does look like Churchill. And everyone will pick the details apart because quite often they know it from other places.

Similarly I dont think a Black Hitler would win many adherents. Well, other than with Idi Amin perhaps...

5 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

There is no reason a white man shouldnt play Martin Luther King or Malcolm X.

What about the use of makeup in such a case?

4 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

Similarly I dont think a Black Hitler would win many adherents.

I still have to find that Bollywood rendition of the Untergang.

A Bollywood version of 'Springtime for Hitler' would be an absolute scream...

16 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

What about the use of makeup in such a case?

Dont see the need for blackface. Why should a black man have to  pretend to be white either? If they can play the part, I dont see why there is any need for face painting to come into it. Unless they are playing Pennywise the clown of course.

I guess the point is, everyone should be able to play anyone they want when they damn well please, and we should start cutting the political bullshit out of drama that makes it an issue. Which seems to be present on both sides of the argument.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

1 hour ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

A Bollywood version of 'Springtime for Hitler' would be an absolute scream...

Dont see the need for blackface. Why should a black man have to  pretend to be white either? If they can play the part, I dont see why there is any need for face painting to come into it. Unless they are playing Pennywise the clown of course.

I guess the point is, everyone should be able to play anyone they want when they damn well please, and we should start cutting the political bullshit out of drama that makes it an issue. Which seems to be present on both sides of the argument.

Sure Brec Bassinger  should be able to play as Shakespeares Othello I'm sure it will be popular as long as they keep the costumes tight enough and add some love scenes.

11 hours ago, R011 said:

Well, in those cases, they tried to adjust their makeup to be as apparently that race as reasonably possible. 

john-wayne-mongolia-kLOH--620x349@abc.jp

It makes sense that a given role might work for a given actor based on the skills of that actor. But the push by the left is not about the skill of the actor, it's about their diversity check mark set. 

Conversely the current Woke view is that we need more diversity in acting but we also must have folks that have all the right check boxes for a role. Thus  a translator for poetry in Portuguese needs to be a Gay, lesbian black woman. 

Edited by rmgill

Are we sure that we are not experiencing some kind of delayed April Fools' Day, or another onset of Mad Cow Disease?

I quote:

https://www.smh.com.au/world/europe/ruler-britannia-uk-plans-return-of-imperial-weights-and-measures-20210918-p58ssb.html

London: The British government said it was taking steps to return to its traditional system of imperial weights and measures, allowing shops and market stalls to sell fruits and vegetables labelled in pounds and ounces alone, rather than in the metric system’s grams and kilograms, a move it hailed as an example of the country’s new post-Brexit freedoms.

The plans, which David Frost, the minister overseeing Brexit, announced this week, were cheered by Brexit supporters, many of whom had argued that the switch to the metric system over the decades was a sign of unwelcome European Union interference in daily life in Britain.

While the EU currently requires members to use only the metric system, it had allowed Britain, when it was a member, to label its produce in imperial units alongside metric units. There were also exceptions for traffic signs and beer.

As part of its exit from the EU, the British government is now reviewing thousands of EU rules that it retained and determining whether they best serve the national interest. Those rules include the EU ban on sales in imperial units, which the British government said it would legislate changes to “in due course”.

Since Britain formally split from the EU on January 1, after nearly 50 years of membership, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has touted his vision of a “Global Britain” that would flourish without being shackled by rules imposed by the 27-member bloc.

British officials have pointed to developments, such as changing the colour of British passports from the EU’s burgundy to Britain’s traditional blue, which was dropped in 1988, as bold and triumphant symbols of the country’s new freedom.

But critics, including the 48 per cent of voters who did not support Britain’s exit, have said such advances seem small and not very helpful at a time when employers are struggling to fill thousands of jobs, vacant in part because of the exodus of EU immigrants since the vote to leave the bloc.

Among the concerns about the country’s fragile economic recovery are a variety of new time-consuming and confusing procedures that have made importing and exporting goods to and from the EU more difficult, shortages at British supermarkets and a rift over unresolved trade rules for Northern Ireland.

Nevertheless, Frost, the Brexit minister, said that the move toward the imperial system would be part of the broader changes Britain was making to “capitalise on new Brexit freedoms”.

“Overbearing regulations were often conceived and agreed in Brussels with little consideration of the UK national interest,” he said in announcing the intention to introduce legislation to change the rules. “We now have the opportunity to do things differently and ensure that Brexit freedoms are used to help businesses and citizens get on and succeed.”

Tony Bennett, a member of Active Resistance to Metrication, a small group that has for years been pushing for England to return to its old weights and measurements, said he was celebrating the development.

Bennett, 74, estimates that he and his group have placed stickers over about 4,000 signs in public parks and roads that use the metric system in England over the past two decades. Among the signs his group changed this month was a road sign in South Shropshire. They changed the units from metres to feet.

Bennett said the campaign to leave the EU and the campaign to revert to imperial measurements had to do with preserving what he saw as the gradual erosion of British culture and tradition.

“The system of weights and measures is integral to our daily life and also to our written culture, our language,” he said, citing expressions such as “an inch is as good as a mile,” and “inching forward.”

Since at least medieval times, the English have used their set of own measurements, including inches, feet, stones, miles and acres, many of which are still used in the United States. But for decades, the British government had been pushing people to use the metric system, used in most of the world and developed during the French Revolution.

Supporters of the metric system say its use is necessary for companies to compete globally, since so many countries use it. Britain began its switch to the metric system in 1965, eight years before it joined the EU. Others said there were more pressing issues on which to focus, including cuts to public services.

A poll of British adults by YouGov in 2015 found that younger people tended to favour the metric system, with more than 60 per cent of those ages 18-39 saying they would measure short distances in metres, compared with less than 12 per of those older than 60.

The New York Times

It will never happen. Ok, it might be desired as an equal form of measurement as metric, but industry will do its own thing. They have to sell to Europe and the wider world, not appease obscure desires from right wing politicians.

25 years ago I was employed by a company to throw out any pipe fittings or tooling they had which was in imperial. That ship has sailed, long ago.

Your loss. :)

I am well used to both systems since I have discovered early on that underneath a lot of things there is other system from the one you expect poking on, and if you do not know both you are loosing a lot of flexibility if you want to do any sort of wood or metalwork. Or typography. Or... practically anything.

Plus military history is much more interesting if you know obscure measurements- do you know why bore diameter of Stokes mortar (and as a consequence all foolowing 81mm mortars) was 81.40-81.41mm? Because he has made a prototype from a French high pressure steam pipe that was 3 Paris inches, or 81.21mm, then fixed irregularities on the lathe to the final diameter by taking off 1/128" of the "imperial" inch... So a very common "metric" caliber of the weapon was decided by the two "non-standard" units of measurements, one of which was abandoned for more than 100 years at that point.

That is a reason why it (and following British weapon) were called 3" mortar, and not a fairy tale that bomb was undersized to 76.2mm.

Edited by bojan

My father was a welder, had been from the 1960's, and he was fully wedded to Metric. He couldnt see any reason to go back, and neither can I. We have  a hybrid system, we use feet and miles and pints. Since most people wont be using anything else, so whats the point?

They will want to go back to shillings next.

If you are just using it for a job it does not matter which one you use. You can do metric stuff on inch machinery and vise-versa. However if you want to understand how something came to those exact dimensions... well, you better be able to use every one there is or was.

Edited by bojan

2 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

My father was a welder, had been from the 1960's, and he was fully wedded to Metric. He couldnt see any reason to go back, and neither can I. We have  a hybrid system, we use feet and miles and pints. Since most people wont be using anything else, so whats the point?

So long as people don't mind buying buying milk in 33.8 ounce cartons, it doesn't much matter.