Because The United Kingdom?

Mr King

8 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

Its interesting that it was perceived that early. When Henry VIII was liquidating the Monestaries, the arguement was the Church had amassed riches and was in moral decline. When clearly they had already developed a foot fetish some centuries earlier.

Its always about the Benjamins, or actually the social posturing thereof. The Haves must differentiate from the Have-Nots by any means necessary, even idiotic footwear.

As for the Church, the reason I am American is that one of my ancestors was the second son of a gentile family in Cardiff and didn't want to become an Anglican priest. A medieval practice still going on in the late 1800s.

Jewelry and clothing have been used for display purposes forever, I assume to display wealth going back to Uruk if not before.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk

Colchester: Stalin should stay!

RESIDENTS living in Stalin Road, Colchester, have overwhelmingly stated they do not wish to change the name of their road.

Debate has raged over in the County Standard over whether the name of the road should be changed from that of the Russian dictator.

Colchester MP Bob Russell decided to carry out a poll to gauge the feelings of the residents at the centre of the discussion.

He found only four households said they wanted to change the name which was given to the road when the estate was built in 1948.

A total of 74 households were contacted of which 30 responded.

Those who wanted to change the name totalled just four while those who said they did not want to change it totalled 26.

Mr Russell said: "Every few years someone says the road name should be changed because Stalin was a mass killer, which is true.

"But these roads are named after the Allied War Leaders. A recent letter in the Essex County Standard challenged me to get the name changed, so I thought the best thing to do was to ask residents - and their overwhelming verdict is they do not want to change the name of their road.

"I respect their decision, and hope that this is now the end of the matter."

For more on this and other stories, see this week's Essex County Standard

3 hours ago, BansheeOne said:

Changing the name would be a rather communist thing to do, too. Most streets named for Stalin in the East Bloc didn't survive much past the 50s. 😁 

Eh, most Hitler Squares and Göring Alleys in West Germany didn't last much longer than 1946 either.

Meanwhile the Queen is making headlines, and showing some practicality.  When there was not a knife available to cut her 'Birthday' cake she borrowed an officer's sword....

I wonder if that sword has ever been used in anger?

I have no problem with the queen slicing a cake with a saber. If I was in her place I'd do it too. It's just that the story that someone forgot to bring the knife and she was the only creative person around to come up with an idea simply isn't true.

9 hours ago, Ssnake said:

Eh, most Hitler Squares and Göring Alleys in West Germany didn't last much longer than 1946 either.

Indeed, but then Berlin's Stalinallee was renamed Karl-Marx-Allee in 1961, and retains that name to this day. Changing Adolf-Hitler-Platz to Horst-Wessel-Platz wouldn't have cut it either, even if you disregard the fact that the regime giving the original name (often to places previously named Juden/Jüden- for the medieval Jewish quasi-ghetto) was destroyed in a genocidal war it started. ;)

59 minutes ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

She just wanted to give it the cold steel. She was probably thinking of Megan.

Or of stopping Harry from having any more offspring.

57 minutes ago, Ssnake said:

I have no problem with the queen slicing a cake with a saber. If I was in her place I'd do it too. It's just that the story that someone forgot to bring the knife and she was the only creative person around to come up with an idea simply isn't true.

Just because it isn't a fact doesn't mean that we cannot enjoy it for what it is.

It may have even been scripted, but that is fine.

31 minutes ago, BansheeOne said:

Indeed, but then Berlin's Stalinallee was renamed Karl-Marx-Allee in 1961, and retains that name to this day.

Curse the recalcitrant populace of Chemnitz, rejecting an innocent and accomplished philosopher's name in 1991. ;)

17 minutes ago, DougRichards said:

Just because it isn't a fact doesn't mean that we cannot enjoy it for what it is.

It may have even been scripted, but that is fine.

It the nature of the British monarchy to ascribe to it greater perscipacity and powers than it has.

When I was training to be a Journalist, the running joke was 'Why let the truth get in the way of a good story'. 😁

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

5 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

She just wanted to give it the cold steel. She was probably thinking of Megan.

Probably thinking "Henry VIII was onto something..."

She will have to practice he r swing.

This is almost certainly fiction, but as it's kinda what I imagine a Carry on film about the G7 would be like, so it must be shared.

https://www.thesun.co.uk

BORIS Johnson teased Emmanuel Macron in front of other world leaders about France’s dire record winning battles against the British Navy, The Sun can reveal.

The cheeky gag came as the final day of the G7 in sweltering Cornwall exploded into a row about Brexit and the pair traded bruising diplomatic blows.

At the final session of the seaside summit, Mr Johnson joked to his fellow world leaders that he was a “little heavy headed” after some of them had stayed the night before.

Mr Macron had bought some expensive red wine as a gift for Joe Biden, but leaders ended up tucking into it after the US President - nicknamed Sleepy Joe - headed to bed early.

And BoJo blamed the strength of the wine for his sore head, saying the grog “was as old as when the French last won a naval battle.”

The dig came as Britain and France ramped up their war of words about Brexit, with Mr Macron telling Boris calm down and “come back to reason”.

In a cutting end of summit dig at the PM, the French President denied British claims he said Northern Ireland is not a proper part of the UK.

Earlier livid Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab hit the airwaves to slam the “offensive” comments, saying: “We have serially seen senior EU figures talk about Northern Ireland as if it was some kind of different country to the UK.

'WE NEED A BIT OF RESPECT'

“It is not only offensive, it has real world effects on the communities in Northern Ireland, creates great concern, great consternation.

Mr Raab added: “Could you imagine if we talked about Catalonia, the Flemish part of Belgium, one of the lander in Germany, northern Italy, Corsica in France as different countries?

"We need a bit of respect here.”

But Mr Macron hit back accusing the Brits of nearly wrecking the summit by stoking animosity with their briefings about EU threats to ban sausages being exported from the mainland to Northern Ireland.

The cosy leaders summit in sunny Cornwall was dented by the furious row over the Brexit deal and what it means for chilled meats.

The EU is refusing to relax rules so that tasty British bangers and burgers can be stocked in Ulster.

As tensions mount, Britain is threatening to rip up parts of Brexit divorce terms and carry on stocking the great British banger in shops in NI despite the EU’s sausage ban, which kicks in at the end of June.

But Brussels has threatened a trade war if this happens.

Raising the issue with Mr Macron in talks on Saturday, Mr Johnson asked the French leader: “How would you like it if the French courts stopped you from moving Toulouse sausages to Paris?”

His French counterpart is said to have replied: “That is not a good comparison because Toulouse and Paris are in the same country.”

The pint-sized President said the EU is “respectful of British sovereignty” - but warned Britain must “respect” the Brexit deal and all the customs checks it carries with it.

Asked about the sausage wars at the end of the summit in Cornwall, Mr Macron said: “On that particular subject matter we all need to stay very calm”.

image.png.19c5d1b11904072cfa0a2082ceeb21d2.png

23 minutes ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

She will have to practice he r swing.

The nice thing about beheading is that 25% success is still success.

On 6/14/2021 at 10:58 AM, Stuart Galbraith said:

It the nature of the British monarchy to ascribe to it greater perscipacity and powers than it has.

So that is where Communists took that bit from.