Because The United Kingdom?

Mr King

26 minutes ago, DB said:

It's traditional to use quotation marks around, you know, quotations. given that Americans apparently can't tell the difference between Australian and (southern) English accents in much the same way that British people can't easily tell the difference between Canadians and US Americans, it's not unreasonable to quote what was said rather than making the leap.

All of that is obvious, so I can only assume that someone here wants to start an argument, as is usual here, but Ivanhoe isn't what I'd call one of the usual suspects, so I am a little disappointed.

Meanwhile, two teenagers have been arrested in the UK in relation to this incident, but at this point nobody is saying what they're supposed to have done.

Surely you mean two "teenagers" as you're quoting what someone else called them and one should be consistent. 

Hostages was exactly what the people were who were being held at gunpoint to coerce authorities to release an imprisoner terrorist (or should that be "terrorist").  The implication of putting that word in quotes is that there was some doubt as to their status i.e. "so-called hostages".

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...like I tried to tell a guy selling produce on the local market, a sign with ["Fresh" Produce] is not conveying the message that he probably intends to.

3 hours ago, R011 said:

Surely you mean two "teenagers" as you're quoting what someone else called them and one should be consistent. 

Hostages was exactly what the people were who were being held at gunpoint to coerce authorities to release an imprisoner terrorist (or should that be "terrorist").  The implication of putting that word in quotes is that there was some doubt as to their status i.e. "so-called hostages".

I was concerned with the second quoted item about the English accent, not about the obviously absurd use of quotation marks around the word hostages. I could have made that distinction clear, but didn't.

The bit about the accent is I would guess hearsay from an eyewitness (or would that be "earwitness"?), whereas the arrest of two teenagers is an official police statement. I think on a scale of whether to use quote marks or not, one falls clearly on one side and the other, well, on the other, but headlines are weird things and shouldn't be considered to contain the whole, or even some of, the story in many cases.

2 minutes ago, DB said:

I was concerned with the second quoted item about the English accent, not about the obviously absurd use of quotation marks around the word hostages. I could have made that distinction clear, but didn't.

The bit about the accent is I would guess hearsay from an eyewitness (or would that be "earwitness"?), whereas the arrest of two teenagers is an official police statement. I think on a scale of whether to use quote marks or not, one falls clearly on one side and the other, well, on the other, but headlines are weird things and shouldn't be considered to contain the whole, or even some of, the story in many cases.

It may have been unconfirmed at the time the paper wrote it, but it has been confirmed he's a British citizen from Blackburn, Lancs.

The rush to publish online should mean that writers use care. instead, they seem to speculate too much, or put out something so bland it might as well not have been published at all.

They're also often rubbish about showing how they've corrected "breaking news" landing pages.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10409927/FBI-finally-admits-Texas-synagogue-siege-anti-Semitic-terror-attack.html

The FBI has finally admitted the Texas synagogue siege was an anti-Semitic terror attack after initially claiming it was not directly targeting Jews.

Malik Faisal Akram, from Blackburn in the UK, held four people hostage, including a rabbi, for ten hours at the Congregation Beth Israel synagogue in Colleyville, Texas, Saturday night.

Speaking Saturday after the attack, which ended with the death of Akram in a hail of bullets, FBI Special Agent Matt DeSarno said: 'We do believe from our engaging with this subject that he was singularly focused on one issue, and it was not specifically related to the Jewish community. But we're continuing to work to find motive.'

In a statement late Sunday night, the FBI backtracked and admitted the attack was 'a terrorism-related matter, in which the Jewish community was targeted'.

Hours earlier, President Joe Biden told reporters 'it was an act of terror'.

2 hours ago, DB said:

It's because the terrorists has connections to a religion that cannot be mentioned. So they seize on anything to push that fact out of the mind of the easily mislead. 

Edited by rmgill

19 hours ago, Ssnake said:

...like I tried to tell a guy selling produce on the local market, a sign with ["Fresh" Produce] is not conveying the message that he probably intends to.

Years ago there was some thing in the shop with this on the label:

"Imitation Cheese Product"

in quotes exactly as written here.

I have no idea what it was. I am still curious but fearful of the answer.

33 minutes ago, Coldsteel said:

Years ago there was some thing in the shop with this on the label:

in quotes exactly as written here.

I have no idea what it was. I am still curious but fearful of the answer.

Probably some sort of processed cheese with less actual cheese than usual.

See also Isoamyl acetate. Otherwise known as artificial banana flavor. Also useful as a solvent for lacquers among other things. 

Edited by rmgill

On 1/17/2022 at 9:41 AM, Ivanhoe said:

The FBI has finally admitted the Texas synagogue siege was an anti-Semitic terror attack after initially claiming it was not directly targeting Jews.

Speaking Saturday after the attack, which ended with the death of Akram in a hail of bullets, FBI Special Agent Matt DeSarno said: 'We do believe from our engaging with this subject that he was singularly focused on one issue, and it was not specifically related to the Jewish community. But we're continuing to work to find motive.'

And now you know....the rest of the story.

Which does raise a question, what compelled the FBI to invade the synagogue in a hail of bullets if all the hostages were already safe?  To eliminate the need for an investigation and trial?

Edited by DKTanker

3 hours ago, DKTanker said:

And now you know....the rest of the story.

Which does raise a question, what compelled the FBI to invade the synagogue in a hail of bullets if all the hostages were already safe?  To eliminate the need for an investigation and trial?

Yeah, another manufactured crisis, with some radical shitlib "hostages" who suffer no real injury and some convenient radical durka durka who never should have been within 5000miles of the US who gets smoked leaving no troublesome questions.  

It's all bullshit.  S/F....Ken M

Politicians and Regulatory agencies  continues to advance Totalitarianism  in West:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/environment/2022/01/18/heat-conservatories-climate-change-building-rules-put-threat/

First stones cast against people in glass houses, as regulations state window size must be limited to ensure homes are not too hot

14 hours ago, Ssnake said:

I would think that would simply be labeled:

Imitation Cheese Product

this was very definitely labeled:

either way I'm not buying it.

19 hours ago, lucklucky said:

Politicians and Regulatory agencies  continues to advance Totalitarianism  in West:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/environment/2022/01/18/heat-conservatories-climate-change-building-rules-put-threat/

Meanwhile they are approving new building on flood plains. Go figure.

Following up on UK Totalitarianism and increasing size of Political Economy.

They say people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones - but one green campaigner seems to have missed the memo.

Angela Terry, an environmental scientist, appeared on Good Morning Britain to talk about new restrictions on conservatories - speaking from her own conservatory.

Earlier this week The Telegraph revealed that conservatories were expected to become a "premium product" as new building regulations limit window size or required designers to carry out heat modelling which can cost thousands of pounds.

The measures, enforced from June, are designed to stop British homes from becoming overheated as the climate warms.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/01/20/people-glass-houses-scientist-gives-interview-environmental/

Edited by lucklucky