Health Quackery Roundup

Ivanhoe

• Replies 593
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my case, eat less, eat slow, eat more balanced diet, and exercise more, would be more applicable to me I guess than doing any specific diet that advocates or avoids eating something more or less.

Guest Jason L

In my case, eat less, eat slow, eat more balanced diet, and exercise more, would be more applicable to me I guess than doing any specific diet that advocates or avoids eating something more or less.

How about that mountain bike? ;)

Thanks for posting the video, it helps make it easier for the layman to understand the sugar insulin et al dynamic and especially that not all carbs are bad. I mean damn, my doc has been trying to convince that one can only thrive on the Euell Gibbon's diet. Meat, doc says I can eat all the meat I can catch and butcher with my bare hands. Yes, he's a bit of a fanatic but he means well.

It also helped explain the inter-connection of hypertension, CVD, and type 2 diabetes, though I wished he'd spent just a bit more time there.

How about that mountain bike? ;)

I blame World of Warships and RC tanks.... :P hehehe

words I never thought to see on TankNet:

"fecal transplant"

At some future I&I, if you see Stargrunt gloving up, run like the wind. He may not be planning to stop at the transverse turn.

Thanks for posting the video, it helps make it easier for the layman to understand the sugar insulin et al dynamic and especially that not all carbs are bad. I mean damn, my doc has been trying to convince that one can only thrive on the Euell Gibbon's diet. Meat, doc says I can eat all the meat I can catch and butcher with my bare hands. Yes, he's a bit of a fanatic but he means well.

It also helped explain the inter-connection of hypertension, CVD, and type 2 diabetes, though I wished he'd spent just a bit more time there.

You could search forever on how all three are linked. One thing for sure, DM just wrecks everything. From compromising the immune system to making blood clots easier to form (in your arteries, for instance), Seeing enough patients with it has put the fear of gawd in me to go more low-carb.

words I never thought to see on TankNet:

"fecal transplant"

At some future I&I, if you see Stargrunt gloving up, run like the wind. He may not be planning to stop at the transverse turn.

Well, if you work so hard to get past the sigmoid colon, might as well follow through.

I ask patients "do you have 30 minutes to spare?"

And more from Dr. Lustig. He's starting a research consortium to finally answer calories vs type of nutrients in dieting. He's on the latter, but he's willing to be wrong. In the end, yeah, output vs input but we are not furnaces and anything that can make that uphill climb less steeper, the better. Personally, I just think we need to look at interventions in combination with lifestyle changes. Once you reach a certain amount of body fat, it's like trying to bring fiscal reform to Chicago versus Podunk County Arkansas. You cut calories, you starve and have less energy. Hunger makes you pissed and unfocused, and your back to where you started.

Phen phen was praised in the medical community, but the lawsuits killed that one. Contrave, the drug I'm taking, should be in the water.

One HUGE issue I have is the cultural role of food. I'm really tired of how out of hand the portion control has gotten in this country. Sometimes I wonder if it's a type of pica secondary to nutritionally-weak foods, but for every other nutrient including iron. One thing I hate is the fag shaming that goes with any man who wants to eat a salad or similar. We seem to forget gorillas and bulls don't eat meat. I don't get why "real men" can clean a plate. Show me a dude that can go all day on a handful of rice, and I'll call him one tough SOB.

We should start a 'Stargrunt6's Health Vids' thread. That '23 and 1/2 hours" one was another great one.

It struck a chord, too, because I know a lot of gamers personally who simply don't get any exercise at all, are obese, and spend all their time at a desk (work + gaming). One's a good friend I've had since childhood. Broaching the subject has always been... tricky.

Edited by Skywalkre

We should start a 'Stargrunt6's Health Vids' thread. That '23 and 1/2 hours" one was another great one.

It struck a chord, too, because I know a lot of gamers personally who simply don't get any exercise at all, are obese, and spend all their time at a desk (work + gaming). One's a good friend I've had since childhood. Broaching the subject has always been... tricky.

I'd be more than happy,, plus throw in some research articles.

A friend of a friend used to be obese and worked at a mall's food court. He just quit eating lunch and would go to the arcade and played DDR. Got down to fighting trim. Although I'm in the camp that believes resistance training can be cardio, I won't deny the effects of daily aerobic exercise. As soon as I get bigger digs, I'm getting a rowing machine.

One HUGE issue I have is the cultural role of food. I'm really tired of how out of hand the portion control has gotten in this country. Sometimes I wonder if it's a type of pica secondary to nutritionally-weak foods, but for every other nutrient including iron.

Man, I heard of pica decades ago and at the time didn't grasp how such a thing could be. Until I went low-carb for a few months, and my craving for animal fat became something that would frighten a prison psychiatrist. I went from boneless skinless chicken breast for dinner to bone-in skin-on chicken thighs, and there was no doubt I was craving the fat.

On occasion the last few years I have strongly craved salad. Don't know what nutrient singular or plural was involved, but I kinda assumed my innards were telling my brain to go get some X, stat.

Ya know, there is the theory that much of our hunger sensation is our body looking for water*, not nutrients. From a Dawkinsian perspective, makes some sense.

* Yes, I know folks are now disputing the "8 x 8" water thing, for very good reason. But like salt, our bodies evolved to crave that which is scarce. Maybe water on the African veldt was scarce, and our bodies learned to make us eat excess so that the small intestine could top up the electrolytic tank.

Guest Jason L

Nonsense. "Essential" body fat is ~5% for men, the lowest I've ever, ever been was 8-9% (and that only lasted a season), but that was measured via BIA, so the error bar was pretty big no matter how carefully done. But I felt fucking invulnerable. I'm sitting at around 17% right now and was even dipping into the dreaded 20% range ~6 mo ago and it feels like garbage.

I don't think <10% is sustainable with the amount of time I can actually devote to training these days, but I'd be pretty happy with a solid 10-12%.

Edited by Jason L

Man, I heard of pica decades ago and at the time didn't grasp how such a thing could be. Until I went low-carb for a few months, and my craving for animal fat became something that would frighten a prison psychiatrist. I went from boneless skinless chicken breast for dinner to bone-in skin-on chicken thighs, and there was no doubt I was craving the fat.

In high school we had a teacher that taught latin and ate chalk constantly, she'd run her fingers down the chalk rail and lick her fingers. She was on the older side, the story was that she tutored one of the Caesers when she was younger. In any case it was quite obvious to us that her body was craving calcium and this was the easiest way to get it.

It amazes me that the body can just want ONE particular thing and steer your behavior toward it.

Salt comes to mind.

Same here. Somedays, I want carbs. Others, the thought of steak would make me gag, but I could eat my weight in fruits.