Open Beta

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't bother looking up ranges, likely it will piss you off. The ranges used in game are based on WG's evaluation of the maximum visibility range from the main optical range finder of the ship. They calculate this by the height of the range finder above either the deck or the waterline, not sure which. Also due to map size and game balance the maximum elevation, hence range, of higher tier BBs is limited which cuts down the max range of the gun.

Harold you were right. Looking it up did piss me off. Because the Omaha's range is slightly better then the South Carolina's (Turreted guns only). What idiot designed the guns for this battleship?

To be honest I was surprised that other guns >6" had similar ranges to Omaha's.

I recently had a oh sh*t moment in my Arkansas. I came around an island and saw a almost full health Omaha at a little over 7km from me. There was smoke so I hadn't realized he was there. I fired everything at him in a sort of panic. Nine of the twelve shells hit. The Omaha exploded. I was shocked it sunk and didn't do much for a few seconds.

Of course I immediatly celebrated by eating as many torpedos as possible from destroyers. They gave me serious heart burn.

WG announced that it WoWS is officially in Open Beta. Populations are higher and low tier matches are full of targets. I feel bad about how easy it is to get torpedo hits right now with my Clemson.

Harold you were right. Looking it up did piss me off. Because the Omaha's range is slightly better then the South Carolina's (Turreted guns only). What idiot designed the guns for this battleship?

Do not forget that the battle lines at the times of first dreadnoughts were supposed to fight close enough that even the fixed BB torpedoes will get a shot ;) IIRC predreadnought engagement distances were as little as 5000 yards, dreadnought era some 10k yards or so... Before the rangefinders and other tools of long range gunnery caught up. Heck, even superdreadnoughts had range quite curtailed and most got upgrades interwar to prolong the range significantly by increasing max. elevation. Here you compare first US dreadnought with post-WWI "modern" scout cruiser built with WWI lessons (including prolonged engagement distances) in mind ;)

Do not forget that the battle lines at the times of first dreadnoughts were supposed to fight close enough that even the fixed BB torpedoes will get a shot ;) IIRC predreadnought engagement distances were as little as 5000 yards, dreadnought era some 10k yards or so... Before the rangefinders and other tools of long range gunnery caught up. Heck, even superdreadnoughts had range quite curtailed and most got upgrades interwar to prolong the range significantly by increasing max. elevation. Here you compare first US dreadnought with post-WWI "modern" scout cruiser built with WWI lessons (including prolonged engagement distances) in mind ;)

Marek don't try to interrupt my whine that bigger guns should shoot farther then smaller guns with historical facts and apples to oranges stuff. :closedeyes:

WG announced that it WoWS is officially in Open Beta. Populations are higher and low tier matches are full of targets. I feel bad about how easy it is to get torpedo hits right now with my Clemson.

Still no unified accounts. Didn't they say that was coming in OB? So... is shared premium time the extent now of unified accounts or is this just more 'typical WG' execution?

Edit: Went back and read the patch notes. It's called a unified premium account and they only mention premium time in the notes but that phrase 'unified premium account' was used years ago with WoWp and included gold and free XP. So, in short, no bloody clue what's going on. :glare:

Edit 2: Further google-fu seems to indicate it's only supposed to be premium time shared now with real unified accounts coming at 'launch'. Unfortunately, throughout the last few years, the phrase 'unified account' and 'unified premium account' seem to have become intermixed in official announcements, hence the confusion. :glare:

Edited by Skywalkre

HE still king at beginner tiers. Will be interesting to see if it will even be worth it to fire AP in BBs*.

*Which will only be the IJN BBs. I was hoping to avoid both lines low tier BBs but sadly, without real unified accounts, I'll have to go through one of them to get to a CV line and right now the IJN one still sounds as OP as ever. Need to get down to it and abuse... err, enjoy the good times while they last. :glare:

Edited by Skywalkre

Fires are fucking ridiculous even at low tiers. A St Louis player with a brain is the Atlanta of low tiers. :angry2:

I find that the Tenryu is either feast or famine. If anyone you are playing knows how to aim, you die in one or two volleys thanks to a citadel that I swear extends a couple feet beyond the the bow and stern. If you run into a gang that can't shoot straight you can rake in the xp and credits.

The Tenryu is rubbish. If anything coughs at you you lose half your modules, especially the rudder, propulsion, or both. The St Louis, given the current shitty meta which is HE/fire spam, wipes the floor with the Tenryu.

First game in Kawachi.

Player GGO_HappyWaffles is on my team and in a DD. Kills a friendly about 1m into the game (when his torps are loaded). A minute later I get the torp warning message... from behind me... on the opposite side of where any enemy is.

It's him.

Fucker is firing on his team all game and openly admitting it in chat.

Go to the report function afterwards and my only options are 'plays poorly', 'misbehaves in chat', and 'bot'.

/facepalm

I continue to find that the only to way enjoy any of there games, Tanks, Planes or Ships, is to turn my 45 years of college and self teaching in history OFF as I sign in otherwise I get nothing but frustrated. The only thing the Tanks, Planes and Ships and parts have in relationship to history is the names and images. The statistics are entirely based on game balance and nothing else.

That is of course IMHO and recognize YMMV.

I find that the Tenryu is either feast or famine. If anyone you are playing knows how to aim, you die in one or two volleys thanks to a citadel that I swear extends a couple feet beyond the the bow and stern. If you run into a gang that can't shoot straight you can rake in the xp and credits.

The Tenryu is rubbish. If anything coughs at you you lose half your modules, especially the rudder, propulsion, or both. The St Louis, given the current shitty meta which is HE/fire spam, wipes the floor with the Tenryu.

In my St Louis I try to engage the enemy BB on the opposite side of our BB that is engaging it. They will always focus on the BB and would have to rotate their turrets to wipe me out, meanwhile I bleed them dry in no time.

I love how in my Kawachi my biggest fear isn't a DD or another BB but a St Louis. He just has to hold down the fire button while spamming HE (aiming? what's that?!) while my shots, actually lined up, go everywhere but where I want them to. I've had post-battle reports with 2 hits out of 28 shots, 22 out of 100, and 16 out of 68.

Just... shit... design. Period.

What I don't get is one turret fires 2 perfectly pair shots which if they hit do a lot of damage and the other turret fires 2 shots that barely going the same direction and land far apart. It almost seems that firing broadside reduces accuracy as opposed to turret by turret?

I am the king of straddle shots

I distinctly remember two full broadsides last night that went everywhere around my target (in front, to the left and right, inbetween masts/turrets/towers and to the far side) with not a single hit. It was like I was in the Matrix for ships and firing at Neo. :glare:

Right now I'm averaging 24k dmg per battle in my tier 3 BB while my tier 2 CL grind finished at 45k dmg per battle... :blink: (A big reason for the difference is a 52% hit rate in the latter with guns I don't have to aim and just a 23% hit rate in the former with guns that I have to hit in the right spot to do dmg.)

Edited by Skywalkre

Skywalkre your mistake is you are aiming for the enemy ship. Aim any where else and you got them. :D

I'm half tempted to run down that training room mod again and load up a scenario where I aim center mass waterline on a ship and compare the number of hits to aiming at its front most and rear most points. I'm going to bet the differences in hit % will be rather small. :glare:

I was going to compliment the OB launch on at least one thing: low tier spread games.

Then I moved up to the Myogi. Two straight games, stock, against carriers in a ship with no AA. Even better, my last game featured one carrier, on the enemy team, that was tier 7...

Anyone see something wrong with that?

Don't worry, still a beta... even though this has been an issue for months with MM... but they'll notice it sometime... maybe... :glare:

Just had a battle with my S. Carolina where I hit 43 out of 116 shells fired. Doesn't seem that bad. Of course it was a good game for me even if I blew it at the end.

I'm actually going to try and get in closer. I never once saw 'Close Quarters Expert' awarded in CB. I've now seen it 3 times today (myself being one of them).

Just killed 4 ships in mine, earned over 3,000 XP and 127,000 credits. Seems like my screenshots are not saving to the folder since OB?