The Middle East War

27 minutes ago, glenn239 said:

So if Iron Dome goes down for a couple hours, you're saying that Israel calls one of its time outs and play stops?  Huh, I didn't know that.  I thought that if Iron Dome goes down that Gaza can pile on the maximum rate of fire to take advantage of it.

I guess this happens times 1000.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, glenn239 said:

Yes, if there is one thing Israelis are all thinking in Tel Aviv today as they shelter from the rain, it's how much success they are having with Gaza these days.

Out of curiousity, where did you get the idea that Erdogan and his drone units are a hollow threat?   Not saying Turkey is going to fight, but did you not see what happened to the air defenses in Armenia?

Israel is doing quite well considering it's probably received several thousand rockets by now. But I was of course specifically referring to drones in that post. Israel isn't Azerbajan; TB-2s aren't going to be a viable recce or strike platform. And Harop is an Israeli product.

Edited by Josh

Drones are not going to be used Turkey-style against Israel.

Israel has pioneered that method, and has in storage immense amounts of loitering munitions itself, like Harpy and Harop (Harop is for SEAD/DEAD), so it knows very well how to also deal with that threat.

Existing defenses like Iron Dome and David's Sling were tested against drones of many different sizes, including very low RCS targets, cruise missiles, and fixed wing aircraft.

Today one drone of the type some guys here are talking about, was downed by an Iron Dome battery.

So if someone's going to make a sweeping strike against Israel's air defenses, it's going to take a lot more than what Turkey has in use. And Hamas and Hezbollah have so far been very unsuccessful in their attempts.

53 minutes ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

So if someone's going to make a sweeping strike against Israel's air defenses, it's going to take a lot more than what Turkey has in use. And Hamas and Hezbollah have so far been very unsuccessful in their attempts.

I see reports of fighting today too.  Any idea how long it's going to go on for?

8 hours ago, RETAC21 said:

The point is not wining against Israel but winning the hearts and minds of their brethen and being seen as doing "something". For Hamas the whole exercise is propaganda, it can't be thought of in military terms.

Whole war has 'Wag the dog' written all over it. Bibi needs a win to propel himself for yet another round of elections, Hamas needs to show they are 'needed' against 'Israeli aggression' and for them even few Israeli dead is a 'success'.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they agreed on it behind the scenes...

14 minutes ago, Detonable said:

What kind of bombs were used to take down the Hamas headquarters building?  Lots of red and black smoke. We’re they thermostatic or heavily aluminized?

That’s probably secondary explosions from the stuff stored there I think.

5 hours ago, Yama said:

Whole war has 'Wag the dog' written all over it. Bibi needs a win to propel himself for yet another round of elections, Hamas needs to show they are 'needed' against 'Israeli aggression' and for them even few Israeli dead is a 'success'.

Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they agreed on it behind the scenes...

Considerate of both sides to wait for Washington to restore welfare payments to the Palestinians last month before kickoff. Almost as if they planned it that way.

3 hours ago, Detonable said:

What kind of bombs were used to take down the Hamas headquarters building?  Lots of red and black smoke. We’re they thermostatic or heavily aluminized?

Stuff probably already there before. It almost seems like an implosion.

Someone took a photograph, and it seemed to be a standard bomb, maybe a mk82, with a GPS kit fixed on it.

I dont think they would keep explosives in one of their HQ buildings. I think its a reflection on how shoddily built many of these structures are.

Is this kind of internal strife something new? I don't remember it from previous Israeli-Palestinian flare-ups.

Date 13.05.2021

Israel: Violent street clashes break out between Jews, Arabs

Jewish and Arab Israelis have fought each other in cities across the country amid the latest flare-up of a decades-old conflict.

Violence broke out in cities across Israel between Jewish and Arab Israelis overnight and into Thursday.

The confrontations came amid the latest flare-up of a long-running conflict between Israelis and Palestinians. Rockets fired into Israel and Israeli airstrikes in Gaza have led to the deaths of at least seven Israelis and 65 Palestinians.

What happened in Israel?

Police said they had responded to violent incidents in several towns. They confirmed 374 arrests shortly past midnight.

The mixed Jewish-Arab city of Lod, around 15 kilometers (9.3 miles) south of Tel Aviv, appeared to be the epicenter of the unrest.

Additional security forces were deployed to try and stop Jewish and Arab mobs battling in the city. Israeli police said two people were shot and wounded there, including one Arab resident. A Jewish Israeli was stabbed.

In the city, a synagogue and other Jewish property were torched.

In the northern port city of Acre on Wednesday, a Jewish motorist was reportedly beaten by Arab residents.

In the Tel Aviv suburb of Bat Yam, Jewish youths reportedly ransacked stores. Israeli television aired footage of a group of Israeli far-right nationalists beating a man unconscious who they believed to be Arab, in the same suburb.

Tel Aviv's Ichilov Hospital said the man was in a serious but stable condition.

An Arab man was also beaten by a mob in Haifa.

[...]

https://www.dw.com/en/israel-violent-street-clashes-break-out-between-jews-arabs/a-57517636

Of the lighter note, more justbosnianthings(TM):

zHio3Ms.jpg

"Since there are no more existential problems in Bosnia, everything works as it is supposed to, citizens are happy, there is enough vaccines, let's talk a bit about Israel and Palestine..."

And people lived peacefully in Yugoslavia until they decided they no longer want it. History is a history, now is now.