The Middle East War

https://eurasiantimes.com/morocco-wants-f-35-fighters-algeria-that-plans-to-russian-su-57-jets/

Morocco is said to have requested Israel to persuade the United States to allow the sale of its cutting-edge multirole fighter F-35, potentially in response to Algeria’s planned procurement of Su-57 stealth fighters. 

Tensions between Morocco and Algeria have increased since the latter unilaterally snapped diplomatic ties, sparking a regional arms race.

In addition, Algeria revived its relations with Russia, leveraging Moscow’s intention to re-establish itself in Africa. Morocco, on the other hand, is banking on its deeper ties with Israel and the US to procure weapons as a deterrent against any Algerian maneuvers. 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, TrustMe said:

Were will all the money come from to buy these F35's. Morocco has ordered more F16's. Apache gunships and M1A2 tanks. Who will pay for it all?

Phosphate ore, for instance. Many application, including manufacturing of Coca Cola, and other soft drinks. Morocco has the largest world reserves of the stuff, Western Sahara included.

16 hours ago, TrustMe said:

Were will all the money come from to buy these F35's. Morocco has ordered more F16's. Apache gunships and M1A2 tanks. Who will pay for it all?

Morocco

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news-detail/morocco-increases-defence-budget-with-more-procurement-expected#:~:text=Janes analysis of the Moroccan,increasing by 7.77% to MAD37.

Moroccan GDP has increased over the last 20 years

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.MKTP.CD?locations=MA

But that money doesn't go into improved conditions for the locals:

https://www.numbeo.com/quality-of-life/country_result.jsp?country=Morocco

• 2 weeks later...

Now...this is something:

https://en.abna24.com/news//israeli-emirati-moves-to-establish-military-runway-in-yemens-socotra-launched_1214587.html

Israeli-Emirati moves to establish military runway in Yemen's Socotra launched

Edited by Sardaukar
Typo

An airbase in Socotra that can service IAF and navy assets would be a great boost, but there are many more ways to be creative, and the UAE has plenty of reasons to invest in that airbase regardless.

The Mayun airbase is far too close to Yemen to be considered a safe option.

• 2 weeks later...

JERUSALEM — An Israeli firm’s subsidiary in the United Arab Emirates has signed a $53 million deal to supply direct infrared countermeasures and airborne electronic warfare systems for A330 tanker aircraft. This is the first public deal for the recently established Elbit Systems Emirates Limited.

Elbit Systems, which announced Jan. 3 that it will work on the UAE Air Force’s Airbus-made Multi-Role Tanker Transport fleet, said the project will take five years.

“Under the contract, Elbit Systems Emirates will deliver a multi-turret configuration of the J-MUSIC Self-Protection System together with the Company’s Infra-Red-based Passive Airborne Warning System, providing high levels of protection and redundancy,” the company said, using the product name for its direct infrared countermeasures system, which is already used on 25 types of aircraft.

https://www.defensenews.com/industry/2022/01/07/israeli-subsidiary-inks-first-public-deal-with-uae-for-work-on-a330-aircraft/

1 hour ago, TrustMe said:

Are they not worried about a possible Israeli cyber attack with this new equipment?

Israel doesn't actually have its companies, especially private ones, do such things.

It has dedicated bodies belonging to the military and intelligence apparatus for this, but they don't get involved in Israeli companies' products.

59 minutes ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

Israel doesn't actually have its companies, especially private ones, do such things.

It has dedicated bodies belonging to the military and intelligence apparatus for this, but they don't get involved in Israeli companies' products.

I'm sorry my post was not clear.

I meant that having a Israeli EW system on an Arab aircraft could mean that Israeli would know the inner workings of that EW system and develop counter measures for it.

3 hours ago, R011 said:

I think it's another indication that the Emirates, and others, have accepted Israel's existence and realized they have the same enemy.

They have known that for some time. They just could not admit such until recently.

Israel tells Washington that it will not curtail its relations with Russia,

Israel caught between rock and hard place on Russia - analysis (msn.com)

“The US would like to see, perhaps, some moral support, maybe an expression of concern and support for Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity; but I don’t see Israel – or the Gulf countries – threatening Russia with sanctions,” he continues. “Each of the Middle East countries has complex relations with Russia, and will not want to jeopardize them, especially as Russia has not invaded Ukraine.”

2 hours ago, glenn239 said:

Israel tells Washington that it will not curtail its relations with Russia,

Israel caught between rock and hard place on Russia - analysis (msn.com)

“The US would like to see, perhaps, some moral support, maybe an expression of concern and support for Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity; but I don’t see Israel – or the Gulf countries – threatening Russia with sanctions,” he continues. “Each of the Middle East countries has complex relations with Russia, and will not want to jeopardize them, especially as Russia has not invaded Ukraine.”

It is not in the US's interest for Israel to do so.

Israel and Russia are in a silent agreement that Russia will stay out of the Israeli conflict with Iran and its proxies (Syria, Hezbollah etc), and avoid selling advanced arms to them, and Israel in return will not interfere in Russian policy in Syria and avoid selling advanced arms to Ukraine or other countries of particular interest to Russia.

Israel's trade with Russia is already minimal, and it must maintain certain ties to safeguard tourism to Russia due to demographics. The gain, of having Iran spend its own money on tech, and slowing its progress, is of far greater effect for the US than a bit of lost trade for Russia.

17 hours ago, TrustMe said:

I'm sorry my post was not clear.

I meant that having a Israeli EW system on an Arab aircraft could mean that Israeli would know the inner workings of that EW system and develop counter measures for it.

That's why in NATO for example, every country has a large share of foreign-made equipment.

52 minutes ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

That's why in NATO for example, every country has a large share of foreign-made equipment.

I see were your coming from, but every nation keeps certain systems home made (and thus relatively secure) for the reason I stated. For example communications equipment on the Israeli F15A/B/C/D/I 's were made in Israeli not US for just this reason.

4 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

It is not in the US's interest for Israel to do so.

Israel and Russia are in a silent agreement that Russia will stay out of the Israeli conflict with Iran and its proxies (Syria, Hezbollah etc), and avoid selling advanced arms to them, and Israel in return will not interfere in Russian policy in Syria and avoid selling advanced arms to Ukraine or other countries of particular interest to Russia.

I think the Israelis have made a good, common sense, decision.  I don't think Washington should have ever asked Jerusalem to compromise Israeli security for Biden's stupidity in Ukraine.

21 minutes ago, glenn239 said:

I think the Israelis have made a good, common sense, decision.  I don't think Washington should have ever asked Jerusalem to compromise Israeli security for Biden's stupidity in Ukraine.

Our relations are not of demands. Plenty of requests were fulfilled, and plenty denied. It's a good thing they understand when Israel declines.