Because, Russia

X-Files

"Jack Vosmerkin"

"An American" (or "The American"?? my russian is not that great)

A musical comedy based on some Russian novel, 3 parts. Seems to be available on youtube.

Edited by Fritz

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Jack Vosmerkin"

A musical comedy based on some Russian novel, 3 parts. Seems to be available on youtube.

This 1985 film is about Russian migrant to US (fled during Rus Civil war) who, when learned that now peasants in Russia can get arable land for free, come back to his native village Russian with idea of planting tobacco and producing cigarettes (somewhere in late 1920th, early "collectivization" years).

"Jack Vosmerkin"

This 1985 film is about Russian migrant to US (fled during Rus Civil war) who, when learned that now peasants in Russia can get arable land for free, come back to his native village Russian with idea of planting tobacco and producing cigarettes (somewhere in late 1920th, early "collectivization" years).

You should check this period piece out, it will make everyone on both sides roll their eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klZV_76rXhA

Thought this was a cool video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9dZT0RHFgg

TV production fail – shooting hostage taking scene near guarded object. Luckily soldier was not armed.

Idiotic. They should have told the relevant authorities, & got it cleared. Do that here without clearing it with the police, even somewhere not guarded, & you could find armed police all over you.

I am into a game called Farming Simulator. The developers are releasing a DLC pack this month that is based in Eastern Europe / Russia. So I have been poking around of YouTube looking up videos of the farm machinery brands I am not familiar with, in action. Came across this interesting channel, at least to me, of a Russian guy working on what looks like a farm co-op. I can not understand a word being spoken, but it is a neat insight into life in rural Russia. It is pretty amusing that rural folks in Russia have a fondness for camouflage clothing as much as their American cousins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u925Ki0npzg

Surplus military clothing is cheap and durable. And I guess the first set is left over from their own conscript service. And later replaced with another set of surplus. Sometimes I feel the production of the old stonegray-olive Bundeswehr parkas is kept up by sales to farmers and anti-atomic protestors. :D

my late father-in-law worked on Belarus like the one at 1.05

besides, some of them have weird accent, is it russia? or belarus or ukraine?

Bd I assumed it was Russia because all of his videos have a red hammer and sickle.

"Cost of liberal reforms"

Population of RSFSR\Russia in the same borders (without Crimea etc)

Green area - immigration into Russia

Red area - death rate increase

Blue area - decrease of birth

1933 - famine (the same known as "Golodomor" in Ukraine)

Edited by Roman Alymov

Is it cost of liberal reforms or cost of combination of gathering too much internal debt, losing territory and inept direction? Just sayin', as my country also had to go through liberal reforms, they were quite extensive and while we had slight dip in late 1990s, it was mostly caused by lower birth rate as people started to explore other options than "get married at 20, get settled by state in your new place, live so-so ever after".

Here is the overall population of Bohemia for ages:

1024px-Obyvatelstvo_%C4%8Ceska_1785-2013

Here is the detail of the dip after establishment of Czech Republic:

Czech_Republic_demo.png

It is pretty amusing that rural folks in Russia have a fondness for camouflage clothing as much as their American cousins.

In many ways Russians and Americans are a lot more alike than both would like to admit.