tanknet.org

Right now does flooding really do anything besides draining your hp?... Basically not in any way different than fire?

I'm pretty sure you're slowed down quite a bit while actively flooding.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a question. Could a 6" shell/round from Cleveland really hurt a New Mexico?

IRL yes if it hit the swichboard, as they used electric engines if memory serves

I have a question. Could a 6" shell/round from Cleveland really hurt a New Mexico?

IRL yes if it hit the swichboard, as they used electric engines if memory serves

How likely is that?

I would think that most hits would be an annoyance.

Given that the NM was built to all or nothing principles and the switch board was below the armor deck, behind the side armor and the torpedo protection system if the Cleavland was sitting 50 yards from the NM it might to that but IMHO the game is built to be fun and ballanced so cruisers are more powerfull than they were in real life against BB scale protection.

I enjoy the game but to do that as I sign in I have to turn 40+ years of self education on naval subjects off.

Given that the NM was built to all or nothing principles and the switch board was below the armor deck, behind the side armor and the torpedo protection system if the Cleavland was sitting 50 yards from the NM it might to that but IMHO the game is built to be fun and ballanced so cruisers are more powerfull than they were in real life against BB scale protection.

I enjoy the game but to do that as I sign in I have to turn 40+ years of self education on naval subjects off.

I guess I can understand that to a point. But it would be nice if my New Mexico armor was a little more effective against 6" guns. IMO all armor is less effective then it should be.

Thanks for the replies all.

The armor is working fine on the NM, actually. The problem is you're being hit with HE which given current mechanics completely ignores armor, as do fires, which are the big killer.

• 4 weeks later...

Turns out there's more to fire than we originally thought.

Was pointed to this post on the forums:

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/36262-%D1%81urrent-ingame-he-and-fire-damage-on-bbs/

and elsewhere apparently the formula for fire is this:

(Ammo fire chance + pyro) * (ship fire multiplier * (1 - (mod + perk)))

So... we can finally start to figure out if perks and mods are worth it.

Let's take a Des Moines firing on a Yamato. Des Moines has 14% chance of fire from its 203s. Yamato apparently has a 0.5 for ship multiplier. So, without perks and mods the Des Moines actually has only a 7% chance per shell hit to light the Yamato on fire. If you give the Des Moines Demolition Expert (+3% fire chance) and give the Yamato Fire Prevention (-7%) and Damage Control System Mod 1 (-5%) the Des Moines now has a 7.48% chance. [isn't there another high tier mod that reduces fire chance?] If you ignore the fire reduction perks and mods on the Yamato but leave the Des Moines with Demolition Expert the Des Moines has an 8.5% chance per shell hit.

In short the best thing to do to lower fire chance? Move to higher tiers.

Edit: Some figures were off.

Edited by Skywalkre

I still follow if I'm in a cruizer I'll load AP v. my size and lower and HE bigger than me.

In my crusiers and DD's I have become an HE spammer. HE seems to do enough damage for Destroyers and Crusiers. Of course for the big boys (That is where BB comes from right :P ) HE is the way to go.

Now I disagree* that HE would be as effective in real life as it is in game, but it is game.

I spam AP in my BB's. I never bother with HE.

There is another reason I spam HE, but it is a little embrassing. In the heat of battle I forget about switching ammo. I have the same problem in WOT. I sit there in my little tank trying to kill something with my gun that I can't hurt unless my tank can fall on it. At least in WoWS my HE will eventually hurt what it hits.

* - I disagree based on opinion not any facts or knowledge of explosive things.

• 4 weeks later...

Secondaries are still worthless.

Jumped in a training room in my fully upgraded Myogi (the Langley grind was so bad it pushed me to go back to the Myogi). I have the rank 1 captain skill that increases reload speed for secondaries. The Myogi is far better than the Wyoming at tier 4 when it comes to secondaries. It has 3x120 and 8x152 per side compared to just 3x127 on the Wyoming. So... you would THINK it would obliterate a same tier DD at point blank range...

Parked the Myogi from 1.7-1.9km away from a stock Isokaze (9k hps). Turned on secondaries. The times to kill all 3 were 0:54, 1:26, and 2:37! :blink:

They might as well not be on your ship for as little good that they do...

Edited by Skywalkre

Yeah. The secondaries seem to be worthless. I hope there's a function where you can use them in sync with the main battery to blast targets that are within range of the secondaries.

It's muscle memory to me so I forget the button but I know it's the same command you use when you want to focus an air group.

You can only have on target prioritized regardless of side. All it does is tell your guns to always fire on that target if it's in range, even if something else is closer (remember that targeting an air group actually kills it faster... the reasons why I'm not sure of). Keep in mind that accuracy of these secondaries, while bad across the board, gets progressively worse at range.

Went back to see if there was a bug with focused secondary fire. The one ship in the three above that was killed in under one minute was the one I didn't focus guns on. Additional testing showed nothing... kill rates are all OVER the place for the Myogi.

Something else to keep in mind is just how bad even the main guns are on the Myogi. I had a few minutes left in the training room and not enough time to move to the next DD and time how long it took to kill. Instead I simply fired HE at it. I got off 32 main gun rounds and hit... all of 4 from a distance of under 5km! I took off all of 6k dmg from a 9k hp pool ship and half of that was from a fire I set on my first hit.

BBs are fine... once you get to high tiers. Low tier ones are borderline unplayable. RNG is just too prominent.

I'd be ok with it having much better accuracy. I'll take a BB with one gun if it actually goes where I want it to every shot over what we have now.

Regarding BB accuracy I've started a project that will take a while. Some discussion over on wotlabs gave me the idea to test BB accuracy vs a fixed target (a NC in this case) at various ranges so we can finally see and compare accuracy of various ships. I have just a Wyoming and Myogi in my current harbor and so far they're about even (very, very early in recording tests). Not a good thing when the Myogi has half the guns...

Unfortunately just had a game where I had no choice but to challenge a cap where an enemy DD was at in my Myogi. I simply had no chance against him. The joy of rock-papers-scissor design... :glare:

Tier 3/4 BBs have serious problems with DDs. They have horrific dispersion at close range and their secondaries are short ranged and wildly inaccurate. Adding this to slow turret traverse and long loading times for the main guns and unsupported low tier BBs are easy kills for a DD, especially if the DD is Japanese and equal or higher tier.