tanknet.org

Rooftop Antiaircraft Battery

A car in every garage, a vulcan air defense system on every roof!

There are 40 rooftop AA batteries in seoul, equipped with vulcan and mistral manpads. Of course location of these batteries is classified, but AFAIK number of them are even installed on some of the highest residential buildings.

Edited by M48A5K

Man that has to suck in inclement weather. Sitting on top of a windy skyscraper in an open topped piece of equipment in the freezing rain / sleet / snow / lightning.

While the residents down below are having a party with hot drunk girls dancing in skimpy clothes....

Man that has to suck in inclement weather. Sitting on top of a windy skyscraper in an open topped piece of equipment in the freezing rain / sleet / snow / lightning.

While the residents down below are having a party with hot drunk girls dancing in skimpy clothes....

That's would be the worst part. Your freezing your balls off on the roof, while a floor below you some lucky bastard is giving it the old heave ho with the misses in a toasty apartment.

Do the batteries have directional cues for intruding aircraft vectors when the balloon goes up?

Not sure about that. Almost everything related to these batteries is classified, so information on them is very scarce. Even taking photographs of them are prohibited. But according to some sources, their role is not only limited to shooting down enemies but also monitoring airliners, and anything above Seoul goes off the designated course without permission is counted as enemy. I've heard that guys up there carry on drills twice a day, so I guess they might have ones.

Edited by M48A5K

Of course location of these batteries is classified.

Therefore the most effective building camouflage paint in post #2.

I think I know where the building in image 2 and 3 is...

The resolution of the Google Maps data set is interestingly low res.

That's the one. IFC Seoul.

Even East London had its own AAA during the Olympics:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18816421

No nice hi-res pictures though!

All the best

Andreas

Cool. Didn't know that.

Edited by M48A5K

I stayed in the Conrad, which is one of the two smaller towers. Good to know I was well protected! Not so good to know it was a prime target.

All the best

Andreas

evacuating the VIP's in case of attack?

It is regulated by building code that helipads must be fitted on every building with over 11 floors and floor space of 10,000 square meters. Of course some are built for evacuating VIPs, but most are for MEDEVACs or air ambulance transfers.

Edited by M48A5K
  • 10 months later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.