Because, America

Mr King

52 minutes ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

The Union very badly beat up the Confederates, but took horrific casualties doing it. Its probably about as appropriate as naming a Royal Navy Warship 'HMS Jutland'.

Wouldn't be the only US ship to bring with it the name of a bloody battle. Amphibious Assualt Ships have a bunch.. USS Tarawa, USS Peleliu, USS Saipan, USS Bataan, USS Iwo Jima.

Edited by JasonJ

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

The Union very badly beat up the Confederates, but took horrific casualties doing it. Its probably about as appropriate as naming a Royal Navy Warship 'HMS Jutland'.

I was under the impression that one of the casualties of Antietam was the ANV's myth of invincibility in the field. A turning point of sorts for the Union.

Well perhaps, although considering the commander of the Confederate Army remained in post, and the commander of the Union Army was relieved, its clutching at straws a bit. The aim was to destroy the ANV, and the Union clearly failed in that end.  They didnt succeed at Gettysburg either, but it was clear the losses were such the Confederates were on the ropes.

A USS Antietam is kind of like a USS Tet...

45 minutes ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

Yes, but they actually took terrain. You can say 'This side undoubtedly won the battle, despite the cost'. So it would make sense to have a USS Gettysburg, certainly a USS Normandy. But not perhaps a USS Bull Run.

Come on dude.. USS Bataan, in that battle they lost, and it was followed by the Bataan Death March. 

Its certainly a Battle that Japan won. But you have to be careful assuming every defeat is not worthy of commemoration. Japan defeated the US Marines on Wake Island, but there is still a squadron in the USMC called the 'Wake Island Avengers'. Not because they won, but because of how they lost and because they refused to let it get them down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMFA-211

3 minutes ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

Its certainly a Battle that Japan won. But you have to be careful assuming every defeat is not worthy of commemoration. Japan defeated the US Marines on Wake Island, but there is still a squadron in the USMC called the 'Wake Island Avengers'. Not because they won, but because of how they lost and because they refused to let it get them down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VMFA-211

I didn't say it wasn't worth commemorating.

43 minutes ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

Well perhaps, although considering the commander of the Confederate Army remained in post, and the commander of the Union Army was relieved, its clutching at straws a bit. The aim was to destroy the ANV, and the Union clearly failed in that end.  They didnt succeed at Gettysburg either, but it was clear the losses were such the Confederates were on the ropes.

It is a bit of a reach, as Lee and the ANV were able to recover and resume offensive operations the next year. 

Relieving McClellan may have been a victory for the North, however :D

17 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

There's a Ticonderoga Class cruiser named USS Hue City. USS Peleliu was originally to be named Khe Sahn.  There have also been two USS Bataan.

Edited by R011

On 5/28/2021 at 5:17 PM, Ssnake said:

Maybe universities and colleges should concentrate on academic excellence anyway, and leave sports to dedicated sports schools or have professional teams pay for the generation of new talent. Right now NFL and baseball teams simply use college sports as a free talent pool, financed by taxpayer money and inflating student tuition fees.

I agree.

6 hours ago, R011 said:

There's a Ticonderoga Class cruiser named USS Hue City. USS Peleliu was originally to be named Khe Sahn.  There have also been two USS Bataan.

There's also  LSD 52 USS Pearl Harbor 

I think I know what he may have been trying to say, but oh boy was he inept about it.

And his original premise is incorrect anyway - if there was an analogous relationship between the Holocaust and (say) the treatment of Palestinians, then Gaza would be an Israeli beach settlement with a very high nitrogen and phosphorous content soil. And if there were any excuse needed (there isn't) for an aggressive defensive stance, recent attempts by other state actors to exterminate your entire people is it.

On 6/1/2021 at 12:00 PM, Stuart Galbraith said:

!!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle-class_destroyer

HMS Jutland (originally ordered as Malplaquet, but name changed after launching)

2 hours ago, DB said:

I think I know what he may have been trying to say, but oh boy was he inept about it.

And his original premise is incorrect anyway - if there was an analogous relationship between the Holocaust and (say) the treatment of Palestinians, then Gaza would be an Israeli beach settlement with a very high nitrogen and phosphorous content soil. And if there were any excuse needed (there isn't) for an aggressive defensive stance, recent attempts by other state actors to exterminate your entire people is it.

You are likely right.  But if only the tolerant and inclusive crowd were as generous as you are... They are far too quick to resort to the torches and pitchforks.

Edited by Mikel2

4 hours ago, DB said:

Anti-Israel rhetoric is reaching a deafening point. One of BLM's founders once said in a speech that Israel should not exist. Anti-Jewish violence in the US and Europe is growing.

One could connect those two dots with a hypothesis that what America's left wing wants is to take away Jews' right-of-return last resort, so that they are stuck enduring whatever street violence America's left wing wants to inflict.

I'm pretty judgemental, but it always pays to try to get inside the head of someone you disagree with, for a variety of reasons. This is especially true when I disagree with the opinions of people I have known and respected for decades, particularly when they are friends. it's only a moment's thought to extend that consideration to others, but my patience is limited for people with an extended track record.

A recent example was the "BLM" woman who was shot in the head as collateral damage in London a week or two ago. Her political position is understandable, given a little thought to her background, the social environment in which she lives and the temperature of the political debate, but her message is confused rather than malicious, and she doesn't seem to be mainly motivated by the power and celebrity the publicity gave her.

in contrast, I have no time for the professional outrage crowd. In the US this would have been Jesse Jackson, or Al Sharpton and their clones. On the flip side, I have no time for race-baiting types like the UK's "Tommy Robinson" - their actions solve no problems, serving only to feed his ego and stir up more trouble.

So what does this mean? I guess it means that if I'm inconsiderate of some opinion presented on this Grate Sight, then I've given up on the person with that opinion. Or maybe I'm simply baiting them for the lols, how can you tell?

On 6/1/2021 at 7:42 AM, JasonJ said:

Come on dude.. USS Bataan, in that battle they lost, and it was followed by the Bataan Death March. 

Read a book or something!