Because, America

Mr King

19 minutes ago, LT Ducky said:

An observation in the ‘dumbing down’ of America.

Went to a Home Depot store yesterday (for those of you unfamiliar with Home Depot, it’s a ‘big box’ store for building supplies, everything from lumber to paint to kitchen and bathroom fixtures).

As I approached the ‘contractor’s entrance’ I encountered a slow-moving forklift following a store employee waving a red flag……..

Yep, store policy, all moving forklifts must be preceded by an employee waving a red flag.

Previously people would have been able to hear the forklift, or it would have just been necessary to have some sort of sound producer to warn them to get out of the way (a loud beeper comes to mind).  Now with so many people with apples in their ears you need a visuals warning also.  And if someone with a hearing disability got hit then the Home Depot store would also be sued.

It is compounded by people gazing at their phones anyway, so you really need a human with a flag to get those people out of the way also.

Smart phones make dumb people.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, LT Ducky said:

Went to a Home Depot store yesterday (for those of you unfamiliar with Home Depot, it’s a ‘big box’ store for building supplies, everything from lumber to paint to kitchen and bathroom fixtures).

As I approached the ‘contractor’s entrance’ I encountered a slow-moving forklift following a store employee waving a red flag……..

Yep, store policy, all moving forklifts must be preceded by an employee waving a red flag.

We'll be watering plants with gatorade soon.

59 minutes ago, DougRichards said:

Previously people would have been able to hear the forklift, or it would have just been necessary to have some sort of sound producer to warn them to get out of the way (a loud beeper comes to mind).  Now with so many people with apples in their ears you need a visuals warning also.  And if someone with a hearing disability got hit then the Home Depot store would also be sued.

It is compounded by people gazing at their phones anyway, so you really need a human with a flag to get those people out of the way also.

Wouldn't hazard light work? it is what is here. 

12 minutes ago, lucklucky said:

Wouldn't hazard light work? it is what is here. 

Would only take one corporate lawyer or Safety Executive to ask what about deaf and blind customers to turn having a human in the warning loop into a requirement.

Edited by Harold Jones

Just a couple of weeks ago we had a pedestrian traffic death where an otherwise intelligent woman, but focused on her phone and with apples in her ears tried crossing against a 'don't walk' traffic light and was killed by a delivery truck that was just going about its business and obeying the traffic signals.  

In effect, smart phones have turned many otherwise able people into both hearing and vision impaired.

10 hours ago, LT Ducky said:

Man-Carying-A-Red-Flag-In-Front-Of-Vehic

And we are back to first principles. :)

15 hours ago, LT Ducky said:

This is because mouth breathing customers (and employees) who have the self awareness of a gnat will walk in front of the forklift and even step up under the forks while the equipment is being worked. 

On 10/25/2021 at 4:59 PM, DougRichards said:

Considering how many oblivious, arrogant, or outright stupid people I've seen at Home Depot who still don't react to the large piece of equipment moving towards them I have a feeling the guy with the flag is a good idea.

But Home Depot will never match up with Australian Bunnings, which is a similar concept, except that Bunnings also hosts what we call sausage sizzles, where small charity and community groups can use a space or two in their carpark, at low cost, for a cheap and cheerful barbecue, just sausages and fried onion on bread rolls, for a couple of dollars. 

Some schools have also adopted this idea on election days (our elections are sensibly held on Saturdays), and schools are often used as voting places.  A sausage sizzle will be set up in the playground, with some nice choices.  Profits going toward the school.  These little feeds are commonly known as 'democracy sausages'.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sausage_sizzle

2 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

Forklift Crocodile. Its the only way to be sure. Means the guy with the red flag has to wear a flameproof suit, but so be it.

No, the only way to be sure is to nuke from orbit.

It is known.

--

Soren

I had this argument about just that very issue with a Couple of Canadians years ago. They were left leaning types from Toronto, so go figure. Anyhow, their point was that it was entirely reasonable as it was a persons right to vote and if someone else helped out the mentally ill or otherwise incapable person like someone in a nursing home to vote for the right people, it was something furthering their rights and needs. They were also in great support for felons IN prison voting. 

Inversion of righteousness.   It should be moderately difficult to be a citizen, have to weed out the weak.  Weeding out the wicked requires other metrics.

The mentally ill and other incompetents having their vote used by their handlers is long practice in IL.  I have witnessed it in nursing homes my former SIL worked at.  No, there's no one to complain to with any reasonable hope of redress...you have to make your own justice here in IL.  S/F....Ken M