Because, America

Mr King

I'd be interested in survey data on immigrants and their background.

Just anecdotal but my great-grandmother, never learned to speak English. My Grandfather, spoke English with no accent, but also spoke some Italian. My father never learned any Italian.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quote Murph:

" I see this with Hispanics:

Immigrants: Mostly Spanish and little if any English

1st Generation: Pretty much 50/50 Spanish/English

2nd Generation: Shifting to mostly English, can understand Spanish, and speak a little

3rd Generation: Spanish? What is Spanish? Oh, yeah that is what my Abuelito/Abuelita speak. "

Italians, German, French, Swedes, Danes, Poles

Immigrants: Spoke native language with countrymen, learned English fast, spoke English with Americans and other immigrants, always discernable as immigrants by accent.

1st Generation: pure English and some understanding of parent language. Done.

Edited by Martin M

I think also factor is that for example nigerian dirt poor farmers simply cannot afford emigrate. Which selects a smaller group out of the whole population.

That's a great point. I imagine if you looked at stats for illegal aliens of Central and South American heritage that they'd likely fall near the bottom of the wealth spectrum. There's also the point that many in that group aren't immigrants nor is immigration their goal. They're simply here for the work, which if it dries up like back in '08 they go home, and many send large amounts of their income back home (speaking of which I'm surprised I don't see more cries of all the tax money that's simply leaving this country because of this practice).

The immigrant from Nigeria who goes through the hassle to get here legally isn't looking to leave nor are they looking to send their earnings elsewhere (though I've heard immigrants from Somalia, for example, apparently do send their money back home... I seem to recall an article detailing all the money making its way to terrorist groups in the Horn of Africa from this practice).

Quote Murph:

2nd Generation: Shifting to mostly English, can understand Spanish, and speak a little

3rd Generation: Spanish? What is Spanish? Oh, yeah that is what my Abuelito/Abuelita speak. "

Immigrants: Spoke native language with countrymen, learned English fast, spoke English with Americans and other immigrants, always discernable as immigrants by accent.

Are you talking modern times? Historically this wasn't the case at all for those groups. Many moved here and effectively moved into enclaves of just their countrymen where their native languages were the norm. It wasn't until the World Wars that many of these immigrants finally ditched their native tongues (out of a combination of fear and proving their loyalty to America). My mom still has hymnals and Bibles printed entirely in German from around the end of the 19th Century that her family used in American synods out in rural Nebraska. Hell, back when I visited my hometown in rural Wisconsin in the 80s and 90s you'd see more Norwegian flags than American.

Edited by Skywalkre

"Carol Christine Fair (born 1968) is an American political scientist. She is currently an associate professor in the Security Studies Program within the Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University. Her work is primarily focused on counter-terrorism and South Asian topics".

43049785_2382515158431137_60959843031229

Yes, modern times.

Quote Murph:

Are you talking modern times? Historically this wasn't the case at all for those groups. Many moved here and effectively moved into enclaves of just their countrymen where their native languages were the norm. It wasn't until the World Wars that many of these immigrants finally ditched their native tongues (out of a combination of fear and proving their loyalty to America). My mom still has hymnals and Bibles printed entirely in German from around the end of the 19th Century that her family used in American synods out in rural Nebraska. Hell, back when I visited my hometown in rural Wisconsin in the 80s and 90s you'd see more Norwegian flags than American.

My mom's family followed the pattern.

My great grandparents on her side immigrated to Canada from Hungary they spoke only Hungarian.

Her parents were young children when the family came over and they learned English* but spoke with an accent.

She understood Hungarian but always replied in English.

My generation doesn't have a single word of Hungarian. We have some Hungarian recipes that have been handed down, but we don't call them by their Hungarian names and they have been adapted to what's available in North America. In fact my youngest brother was kind of surprised to find out that mom's side of the family was Hungarian.

*I remember my grandfather telling his brother at a family reunion to speak English because nobody speaks that stuff (Hungarian) any more.

The Washington Redskins finally drop offensive name:

Dan Snyder, owner of the NFL Redskins, has announced that the team is dropping "Washington" from the team name, and it will henceforth be simply known as, "The Redskins."

It was reported that he finds the word "Washington" imparts a negative image of poor leadership, mismanagement, corruption, cheating, lying, and graft, and is not a fitting role model for young fans of football.

Dan Snyder, owner of the NFL Redskins, has announced that the team is dropping "Washington" from the team name, and it will henceforth be simply known as, "The Redskins."

It was reported that he finds the word "Washington" imparts a negative image of poor leadership, mismanagement, corruption, cheating, lying, and graft, and is not a fitting role model for young fans of football.

I am ever so glad I did not have coffee in my mouth when I read this :D

Well, poor leadership and mismanagement is actually fitting for Snyder and his team, the rest of the adjectives do not.

As a one-time Redskins fan, how does one fire the owner?

OMFG, this is the funniest thing ever...

Typical American Academic. Not out of the mainstream for academics in this country. Very representative of what is going on in modern Universities.

"Carol Christine Fair (born 1968) is an American political scientist. She is currently an associate professor in the Security Studies Program within the Edmund A. Walsh School of Foreign Service at Georgetown University. Her work is primarily focused on counter-terrorism and South Asian topics".

Typical American Academic. Not out of the mainstream for academics in this country. Very representative of what is going on in modern Universities.

How many American Academics have you met?

I've worked in collaboration with Ivy League biomedical graduate programs for 18 years, been on an admission board for one state school and been an adjunct at two universities. He's not wrong. . .

I've worked in collaboration with Ivy League biomedical graduate programs for 18 years, been on an admission board for one state school and been an adjunct at two universities. He's not wrong. . .

Biomedical. The folks pointing out these issues are in the hard sciences. They were surprised by the expansion of the grievance studies issues to the harder sciences. Sure they're not infesting them now, but they're knocking at the door. They've gotten all through the soft sciences and the liberal arts are utterly rotten.

Wait til biomedical people are harangued out of the field for pointing out scientifically documented differences in women and men.

Wait til biomedical people are harangued out of the field for pointing out scientifically documented differences in women and men.

That is already starting to happen on the fringes by the gender creationists.

After all "Feminist Astronomy" is much more logical? The NY Post covers the Sokal II affair, and how OUTRAGED academics really are over this (hint, outraged that the papers were not true) https://nypost.com/2018/10/08/an-academic-hoax-to-expose-a-massive-academic-scam/

Turn off the tax-payer spigot to these institutions of dumber learning.

I like it. Or sue them for violations of First Amendment rights by persecuting conservatives. If the Universities had to defend against hundreds of lawsuits over their actions, it might hurt their bottom lines. Especially if banned from raising rates of tuition. In my early days as a cop I worked at at University, and met some of the "precious" professors. Most could not tie their own shoelaces properly, without assistance from their Graduate assistants. But boy, could they spout liberal platitudes.

After all "Feminist Astronomy" is much more logical? The NY Post covers the Sokal II affair, and how OUTRAGED academics really are over this (hint, outraged that the papers were not true) https://nypost.com/2018/10/08/an-academic-hoax-to-expose-a-massive-academic-scam/

Turn off the tax-payer spigot to these institutions of dumber learning.

Thank you.

I like it. Or sue them for violations of First Amendment rights by persecuting conservatives.

Exactly why I’m insisting my kids go to public, not private, universities. There’s at least some requirement to provide Constitutional protections (and I have a hunch those protections will be strengthened in the coming years)

Since private universities can largely set their own rules, the only viable suits are ones where it can be shown that they violated those rules, and thus violating the contracts they have with their students. However the way to go after them is to tie government funding (scholarships, grants, etc) to adoption of protections. That’s probably still a ways down the road ...