Training Wheels Whiskey

Murph

Bourbon is the nectar of the gods. So many varieties across the palate- sweet, smooth, spicy, firey.

Been drinking quite a bit of rye whiskey as well, when I do drink liquor. A good, spicy rye Old Fashioned, just a little tonic to open it, a good twist, none of that muddled fruit/cherry shit. The perfect drink.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opinion is, there is no "training wheels whiskey". You either like it or not, be it bourbon, blended or single malt.

My fav is Famous Grouse.

Edited by Sardaukar

Don't drink much whiskey because of the horrible hangovers it causes to me but my favourite so far is Isle of Skye which is smokey but milder than Laphroiag, more suitable as 'training wheels' whiskey at least for me. I'm not big fan of Johnnie Walkers etc but then I have only tasted Red & Black label.

• 2 weeks later...

Tequila, I love tequila (or Ter Kill Ya as some call it), but it does not love me back.....

For better results, stick with 100% blue agave tequila. The reason shit like Cuervo Gold makes you feel so bad the next day is because It's a mixto, which has grain alcohol and coloring in it.

I've gotten staggering drunk with 100% agave tequila and felt great the next day.

The last time I drank Cuervo, Jose beat me to a bloody pulp.

Hornitos is a good quality tequila at a good price (less than $40 for a half gallon at Spec's).

Guest Jason L

Tequila, I love tequila (or Ter Kill Ya as some call it), but it does not love me back.....

For better results, stick with 100% blue agave tequila. The reason shit like Cuervo Gold makes you feel so bad the next day is because It's a mixto, which has grain alcohol and coloring in it.

I've gotten staggering drunk with 100% agave tequila and felt great the next day.

The last time I drank Cuervo, Jose beat me to a bloody pulp.

Hornitos is a good quality tequila at a good price (less than $40 for a half gallon at Spec's).

Stay away from the clear, non-aged stuff period too IMO. Quality, non colored, only agave based sipping Tequilas are great. Not quite the breadth and complixity of Scotch's, but still lots of palate.

Edited by Jason L

• 1 month later...

Knob Creek??? :D

Every Brit would explode in laugh!! Because of implications... :)

Not to mention 9 yr old... :D It's very very bad! :)

Edited by Sardaukar

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

even worse. 2 U$D for chunks of frozen tap water? :blink:

What is "neat"? (I guess something cheap to rip off even more money)

training wheels whiskeys. hmmm. Well anything Lowlands or Irish are pretty safe. Japanese are also very mild.

even worse. 2 U$D for chunks of frozen tap water? :blink:

What is "neat"? (I guess something cheap to rip off even more money)

training wheels whiskeys. hmmm. Well anything Lowlands or Irish are pretty safe. Japanese are also very mild.

Neat in my US language (albeit not used to USian version) means without ice or water. At least neat in Europe means that.

Edited by Sardaukar

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Just got a bottle of Sexton Single Malt Irish Whisky, and it is pretty decent. A single ice cube opens it up very nicely.

Heathen!

No ice cubes to whiskey! :D

Elitist bullshit, certain types and strengths of whiskey benefit from the addition of a small amount of water. An ice cube is a perfectly acceptable way to add it.