tanknet.org

Question About Russian T-80´s

A small Question: what T-80´s does the Russian Army use? I know about T-80BV, T-80U, but does it use other models like T-80UE-1 or T-80UM? And finally do many of the Russian T-80U´s have thermal imaging? Many photos show them with IR illuminators.

only T-80UK and UE-1(30-35 tanks) have thermals, there also was some experemental UM in army, and T-80B, but 1-2 tanks.

Do you know what model of thermal imager they use ? Agava, PLISSA ?

Edited by Sovngard

Why didn't they buy? Lack of funds? Performance*? AFAIK a small batch of T-80U(M) did receive Agava thermal sights. I assume that thermal technology did cause an impact as in Western countries.

* Agava was inferior to competitors in Greek tank trials.

A 50 element thermal imager Agava-1 was available in 1983 for use on the T-80BV. The army decided to hold out for a 128 element detector that would become Agava-2. Since they didn't have bulk production of the semi-conductor needed to make those detectors at the time, it delayed the introduction of a tank thermal sight by almost a decade.

IIRC only soviet vehicle produced with thermals in 1980s was PRP-4M.

Edited by bojan

Where do T80's sit in the current Russian ORBAT?

I keep hearing rumours about them being removed from service and the Russian army being all T72/T90 now, fact or BS?

They used to sit in the tank divisions in Soviet times right? What about the separate tank battalions in the mech divisions? Were they T80 or T72?

• 10 months later...

Where do T80's sit in the current Russian ORBAT?

I keep hearing rumours about them being removed from service and the Russian army being all T72/T90 now, fact or BS?

They used to sit in the tank divisions in Soviet times right? What about the separate tank battalions in the mech divisions? Were they T80 or T72?

The only thing I can say for sure is that the reforming 1st Guards Tank Army is to include the T-80 in its ranks. Some good technical information about the tank can be found on its new Tankograd page.

Im glad the poster brought this up, I was half a mind to do so myself.

As far as 1st Guards Tank, it appears that if this is accurate, its only 4th Guards Tank Division that has them. 2 Gds MRD has T72, possibly T72B3.

http://warfare.be/db/catid/321/linkid/2225/title/western-military-district---osc-west/

Though there are discrepancies in some area, it seems broadly correct, not least in that it correctly shows 6th Tank Brigade rearming with T72. They used to have T80 until about 3 years back.

http://englishrussia.com/2012/02/01/the-6th-tank-brigade-technique-and-training/

Ive not looked at the other regions in detail, but a google search will give the same sites tables on Southern, Central and Eastern Military districts, which should give at least a starting point of how many they have in service still.

Has the Russian Army fitted Arena to any of its T80s, as it seems to be doing for export? Im also wondering also if anyone has any numbers for Thermal equipped T80s in Russian service today. The military balance unfortunately doesnt give breakdowns like that.

Has the Russian Army fitted Arena to any of its T80s, as it seems to be doing for export?

No, the system was not introduced in large numbers.

Im also wondering also if anyone has any numbers for Thermal equipped T80s in Russian service today.

IIRC it would be a few dozens (T-80UA and T-80UE). There were news that the whole fleet would go into storage by the end of 2015, but it is still in service.