tanknet.org

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Number of brothers varied according to a tank crew was assigned too, it was used for T-60, T-70, Matilda (through "Candle" was more common) and Lee.

Chris Werb was referencing the nickname that some Soviet tank crews hung on the M3 Medium: "Coffins for Seven Brothers". It's of course unlikely a Red Army crew would have written that on the front of the hull, as that would have been considered defeatism.

Yes, as noted it was used for other tanks as well, it just got most popular for Lee. Soviet crew's nicknames were quite colorful occasionally:

SU-76 - Сука - Bitch. Among others, most other less polite than this one except "Коломбина" (which was a slightly stupid and comical character from a popular operetta) and Naked Ass Ferdinand which I think needs no explanation.

SU-100 - Пиздец всему - Fuck it all. Due the ability to deal with any German armor

Matilda - Свеча - Candle. Burned a lot

T-60 - BM-2 / Братская Могила для два - Grave for two brothers

etc

Ooh. Staghound MkIII!

I hope you and your friends are already making the necessary arrangements to get it to the States!

I happen to know someone working on a Staghound Project...I'll forward that to them and to Marc at VMMV as Alan has the resources to make such an acquisition.

• 2 weeks later...