Dead Iron

Mr King

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Are there laws against pulling up in a rented flatbed and driving off with this kind of stuff?

Given that the T55 above looks like it's in Afghanistan, no, probably not in that case.

Now the question is: do you want to drive through Afghanistan?

In a lot of the other cases they are considered war graves or historical markers.

A Pz IV split in half

Another one

That was pretty common, certainly with the late ones anyway. There is a whole host of PZIVs in 'Panzers in Normandy' and something like half of them in the book came unglued when the ammunition detonated.

Agreed, also noted that. IIRC the 76mm armed T34s had a habit of popping their turrets under the same circumstances which has carried over to T72s, presumably due to the autoloader stowage?

BillB

Yeah the autoloader was the main reason for turret popping on T72, in that its all mounted in a cassette under the turret floor.

T55 and T62 by contrast seem to have been pretty good, at least as far as can been determined by photos of the Golan Battlefield. Centurion occasionally popped its turret, but also seem to have been fairly good. Maybe the ammunition being by the drivers hatch meant most of it vented that way in a fire.

Tiger has been seen with popped turret. I suppose the most well known example is Wittmans Tiger, but there is plenty of demolished examples in Tunisia seen the same way.

I can't recall ever reading about groups that have done restoration work on tanks or aircraft having had any legal problems in transporting rusting hulks.

Sorry, I re-read my post and it was a lot snarkier than I intended it to be. I mean, legal matters aside, in the case of the T54/55 there in Afghanistan it would probably be fraught with peril to try and remove it due to the hostilities in that part of the world.

As for 'popping turrets' the analysis of an after-the-battlefield pic must recognize several possibilities beyond immediate effects of battle: crew bailed out from a disabled tank, which was on or caught fire and eventually cooked off its ammo; crew followed doctrine to use demolition charges to destroy disabled vehicles that could not be recovered [esp. Tiger and Panther], and so forth.

I can't recall ever reading about groups that have done restoration work on tanks or aircraft having had any legal problems in transporting rusting hulks.

Sorry, I re-read my post and it was a lot snarkier than I intended it to be. I mean, legal matters aside, in the case of the T54/55 there in Afghanistan it would probably be fraught with peril to try and remove it due to the hostilities in that part of the world.

Ah, it's fine :) And would also need a pass through either Iran or Pakistan if moving by land.

IIRC there was a guy digging up Panzer IVs in Bulgaria who got in trouble (thrown in jail) - but that probably had more to do with ownership issues than transport :-)

IIRC there was a guy digging up Panzer IVs in Bulgaria who got in trouble (thrown in jail) - but that probably had more to do with ownership issues than transport :-)

Don't steal one's tank!

Slightly off topic, but I always liked the story of the Russian tank crew, who during a WP exercise in IIRC Hungary, were found under a tree drunk as Lords on Vodka. A few months latter a local innkeeper turned up at a scrap yard with 40 tons of high grade steel scrap! The crew had swapped their tank for a case of vodka, which the innkeeper then spent the next few months cutting it up.

As I was going through this thread, the bit about rebuild vs repaired vs replaced caught my attention.

In Afghanistan, once we had the Air Force show up at our engine shop needing an engine because one of theirs (A T700 series) had crapped out entirely and they weren't allowed to rebuild at their level, nor did they have any replacements available. They came to our shop bearing just the dataplate and that's how we 'repaired' their engine--just got a bunch of modules out of storage and slapped them together, smacked the dataplate onto the cold section and out it went.