Dead Iron

Mr King

Perhaps it was that Ipad AC130? :)

One of seven Tigers destroyed at the Battle of Beja Tunisia March 1943, from a giant to a gnome:

[https://scontent-vie1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13912408_1082335968481334_4368222234479751601_n.jpg?oh=25676e6f62d146acb50a41cc5d9ac7aa&oe=5A6C8F4B

May well have been that the crew demolished it themselves before retreating.

Edited by Panzermann

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Considering we are 100 years on from the Battle of Cambrai...

139187766743070747793a340cbfd57d8f6cbf35

There is a better link of a photo from a slightly different angle here.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/drakegoodman/5407427892

'Note on reverse: "Bourlonwald November 1917".

Two tanks, possibly F6 and G21 'Grasshopper' knocked out in Bourlon Wood on 27 November 1917.'

I was going to say it was surprising it was an Ausf D, but they were even very early model Tiger 1s and Panzer II's into service at the end.

Bamberg Kaserne was a training facility for new panzer troops and is within spitting distance of these tanks.

Edited by DKTanker

What is the context for this photo?

Almost none. Said to be penned frontally by ATGM. Place, time and type of ATGM is unknown for me.

Then given that the tank in question is depicted as Israeli, I'd have to conclude that the photo is a possible fake put out by those who hate Isreal.

Where´s the shadow of the gun?

In the grass, not on the hull.

Then given that the tank in question is depicted as Israeli, I'd have to conclude that the photo is a possible fake put out by those who hate Isreal.

Wow. Fast conclusion. Somehow never saw such about, let's say, destroyed T-90 in Syria. Edited by GARGEAN

Wow. Fast conclusion. Somehow never saw such about, let's say, destroyed T-90 in Syria.

Looks like you've never been to the russiadefence.net forum :wacko:

Wow. Fast conclusion. Somehow never saw such about, let's say, destroyed T-90 in Syria.

Looks like you've never been to the russiadefence.net forum :wacko:

Indeed. And what's there?

BTW, photo said to be from Lebanon, 2006.

Interestingly when you put that through Google or Bing image scan you end up with no companion images. Which suggests if its real, its not been circulated much, which seems a little curious. You know, evil Joos tank knocked out. You would assume it would be over every right wing hate organization on the internet.

But how about someone ask Marsh about this before we all tie ourselves up in knots assuming positions?

Where´s the shadow of the gun?

In the grass, not on the hull.

In the cases of that happening there was better supporting evidence. But Stuart's right: We should look more closely before drawing any final conclusions. My own wording was poorly chosen; I'm still worried the photo is a fake, but I've never tried to say the evidence is conclusive and I should have been clear on the point.

IMO it is real and is a picture from a different angle of the well known video of the Merk getting side hull hit with ATGM.

IMO it is real and is a picture from a different angle of the well known video of the Merk getting side hull hit with ATGM.

The only picture that I could find that resembles this one is not of a Merkava IV. Is this the one you were talking about?

In any case it appears that the crew attempted to fight the fire as evidenced by the access hatch being open.

1504676-5.jpg

The photo is new to me. Could be real, the Merkava is certainly not omnipotent. There may be some elements of image manipulation, but I don't have much technical knowledge to comment on that. Frankly, you need Dadi I for this and even if he is around nowadays, it might be OPSEC.

Cheers

Marsh

The photo is new to me. Could be real, the Merkava is certainly not omnipotent. There may be some elements of image manipulation, but I don't have much technical knowledge to comment on that. Frankly, you need Dadi I for this and even if he is around nowadays, it might be OPSEC.

Cheers

Marsh

It may be nothing more than a transmission oil line or fuel line that broke and burst into flames. Not a usual occurrence, but I know of it happening a few times.

Did an image search for that burning Merkava IV picture and found this:

https://www.fresh.co.il/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=579703

(Same picture at the end of the thread)

Translation of the comments:

"This picture was recently published in the VK with the description that it was the impact of an anti-tank missile during the Second Lebanon War, and the fire was extinguished and the engine replaced."

"The picture was shown to me 10 years ago by D., one of the crew members of the tank and perhaps the one who took it (not closed on it). The tank was indeed hit by an anti-tank missile, the team abandoned it without casualties, and later they were evacuated to Israel, I did not ask him, and he did not tell what exactly they were doing and if they extinguished"

The only picture that I could find that resembles this one is not of a Merkava IV. Is this the one you were talking about?

In any case it appears that the crew attempted to fight the fire as evidenced by the access hatch being open.

No, I can not find it now, but there was a video of 2 x Merk IV in the field, then ATGM comes from a left side hits one closer to camera, other starts smoke screen and first one starts smoking with black smoke and then video ends.

• 2 weeks later...