M1 Ecp Upgrades And M1A3 Program.

Damian

I don't believe you are wrong in any of this, but I am thinking more to protect vs DPICM bomblets and the like rather than an RPG strike. I don't know if there are any tanks that can shrug off a hit from a real top attack ATGM like a TOW-2b or Javelin, but it seems like other western tanks have quite a bit more topside protection than the Abrams.

-K

Most, if not all, western tanks are very vulnerable from above, M1 is nothing any special here. As for armored roofs - you should look at T-80U and T-90 line for than.

Note: well, no, M1 is indeed kinda special tbh, but not because of turret roof. Than hull...

Challenger 2 isnt.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even turret. Look at hatches. Other than a thickening on the central part of turret (which we don't know if it is armor) rest of the roof should be same as hatches.

Edited by bojan

it can be spaced armour, but it works mainly as "decoration" that hide real height of commander "tower"(i can't call it cupola lol)

Hm... Is it covered by main turret face armor at the front in any way? Or commanders "tower" is more vulnerable that it seems?

which we don't know if it is armor

E_6OO-db-2Y.jpg

it can be spaced armour, but it works mainly as "decoration" that hide real height of commander "tower"(i can't call it cupola lol)

that roof plate looks thick enough to be a feasible armour plate with that distance. Pretty decent roof protection I'd say, if it is hrdened armopur plkate, and there is not much reason to put mild steel there.

"The US Army's Multi-Purpose 120mm tank round, to arm the v4, is now being engineered to integrate several different kinds of ammunition into a single, tailorable round -- to include High Explosive Anti-Tank rounds, Multi-Purpose Anti-Tank rounds and anti-personnel canister rounds, among others."

E5M is going to blow a gasket ;-)

Edited by TTK Ciar

"The US Army's Multi-Purpose 120mm tank round, to arm the v4, is now being engineered to integrate several different kinds of ammunition into a single, tailorable round -- to include High Explosive Anti-Tank rounds, Multi-Purpose Anti-Tank rounds and anti-personnel canister rounds, among others."

Not only him. Another jack-of-all-trades-one-size-fits-none solution like the infamous M430 HEDP 40 mm grenade cartridge. neither fish nor fowl (tofu?). Why is it so hard to have mopre than two different rounds in service? Do they think their TCs and gunners are too dumb for more?

that roof plate looks thick enough to be a feasible armour plate with that distance. Pretty decent roof protection I'd say, if it is hrdened armopur plkate, and there is not much reason to put mild steel there.

15-20mm thick imho

514ZDCgUWLU.jpg

and it's look strange, maybe not steel...

It's like 2-3mm thick...

Re Challenger 2, it was known at the time Vickers covered part of the roof with thin plate in order to prettify it. Whats not clear to me is if they did this partly to give a stand off against top attack rounds, or if its also done in addition to thickened armour on the roof.

All I do know is, its stated the turret was designed with top attack rounds in mind. I know no more than that.

Not only him. Another jack-of-all-trades-one-size-fits-none solution like the infamous M430 HEDP 40 mm grenade cartridge. neither fish nor fowl (tofu?). Why is it so hard to have more than two different rounds in service? Do they think their TCs and gunners are too dumb for more?
Perhaps they want to make maximum use of ammo space for stowed kills. Do you want to carry three of each of four kinds of special-purpose rounds in case you need them, and only 30 sabot? Or six jack-of-all-trade rounds and 36 sabot?

I, too, am dubious that multipurpose munitions could do as good a job as specific-purpose munitions, but perhaps even if you have to use more rounds to achieve the same effects, it's a net win? I don't know. Too much "it depends".

Edited by TTK Ciar

Just buy what's already done, you loathsome assclown pogues.

https://www.gd-ots.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/120mm-Advanced-Multi-Purpose-AMP.pdf

Every son of a bitch, waste of skin associated with this crime against the taxpayer should be flayed, and their skin displayed in front of where they train these pogues, as a lesson on why you shouldn't be a parasite.

Seriously, the war is at home, vs parasites, not the durka-durkas. S/F....Ken M

Not only him. Another jack-of-all-trades-one-size-fits-none solution like the infamous M430 HEDP 40 mm grenade cartridge. neither fish nor fowl (tofu?). Why is it so hard to have mopre than two different rounds in service? Do they think their TCs and gunners are too dumb for more?

I don't think this new 120mm is shaped charge HEAT. It's programmable HE with settings for contact, delay, and airburst. When set to delay it's capable of taking out BMPs and other lightly armored targets.

Generally I think it would be more useful than M830 and M830A1 for the sort of wars we've been fighting, it should have just been in service a decade ago. However I think there are other reasons to keep canister and HEAT.

Edited by JW Collins

Looks like they slapped together the parts at hand, no matter the colour. :D

Here's a picture of the finished product: "US Army testing the new Ground Vehicle Coating System, here as a four colour scheme over Abrams M1A2. New paint formula provides a much lower IR/heat signature and results far esier both to apply and clean from chemical agents."

D2M0FdzWoAAa4Ro.jpg

The brackets on the side of the turret and hull are for ERA module attachment.

Edited by Dark_Falcon