Moscow Parade And Rehearsals: March-May 2015

Jim Warford

The live feed has hardly touched Moscow, only got armata and Kurganets, no boomerang or flathead or koalitsiya.

Now they're at Murmansk with some happy little dog in the background on a submarine...

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure this has been mentioned previously, but isn't the Armata flying in face of current thinking concerning MBTs? I thought the current trend was towards lighter less expensive vehicles? By the looks of most of the equipment, the Russians are bigger and heavier. Even the wheeled vehicles, thinking of the Boomerang compared to BTR80. I can't for see them being able to afford to build the numbers they'll need to replace even the first line equipment?

I'm sure this has been mentioned previously, but isn't the Armata flying in face of current thinking concerning MBTs? I thought the current trend was towards lighter less expensive vehicles? By the looks of most of the equipment, the Russians are bigger and heavier. Even the wheeled vehicles, thinking of the Boomerang compared to BTR80. I can't for see them being able to afford to build the numbers they'll need to replace even the first line equipment?

No, it is not - Armata & Co are mostly useless for contemporary Western type of war (on another side of the globe against insurgents or third world army, cleaning off what left after long bombing campaign). At the same time Western hi-tech light-weight armor is hardly useful for Russian concept of war (on own territory against enemy superior both numerically and technologically)

For us here this event today was more important than all new armor: commemoration march (people carrying portraits of their family members that took part in WWII) was attended by about 500 000 people. Biggest public event in Moscow in living memory, i think

Considering the number of vehicles involved, the newness and the age of others, the low number of breakdowns is impressive. I can imagine the parts shelves get sucked dry bringing all the vehicles involved up to snuff.

Considering the number of vehicles involved, the newness and the age of others, the low number of breakdowns is impressive. I can imagine the parts shelves get sucked dry bringing all the vehicles involved up to snuff.

We did a parade a million years ago to get new colours from the Queen, we had both Chieftain and Challenger 1. The mechanics said it was like being in a sweet shop the amount of spares available.

Impressive showing, but I take it that camouflage patterns have given way to solid green for current vehicles?

Soviet era parades the vehicles were solid green with white highlights.

Edited by DKTanker

At least they didn't have that digitalised camoflague which seems pretty common these days, that stuff just looks nasty. The new star & pin stripes icon looks pretty cool if you ask me, but the original hammer & sickle is my personal favourite symbol.

At least they didn't have that digitalised camoflague which seems pretty common these days, that stuff just looks nasty. The new star & pin stripes icon looks pretty cool if you ask me, but the original hammer & sickle is my personal favourite symbol.

Makes a nice marker that reads PUT HEAT ROUND HERE ;)

That star and pin stripes design on the side of all the vehicles makes me think of GI Joe toys from the 90s.

самовлюбленный колесный смертельная ловушка!

ロシア語を読めません 。・°°・(>_<)・°°・。

It says "narcissist wheeled death trap!" :D

That star and pin stripes design on the side of all the vehicles makes me think of GI Joe toys from the 90s.

самовлюбленный колесный смертельная ловушка!

ロシア語を読めません 。・°°・(>_<)・°°・。

It says "narcissist wheeled death trap!" :D

:lol:

Well, maybe, but maybe it's pretty good. It has the rear door which is an improvement over earlier BTRs.