• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bun Bun will never be alone anymore. :lol:

Introducing - Nub Nub. :lol:

Bun Bun and Nub Nub are getting along already:

I'll modify Nub Nub to an M1A2SEPv2 with mine protection (i.e., belly armour) in NATO 3-colour and replace some stuff with upgrade parts just like Bun Bun hehehe

Sometime next year, if it's finally available, I'll add to my NATO lineup a Challenger 2 which I shall now call Bunnub. Bwuhahahahaha!

Edited by Corinthian

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'd like those RC manufacturers to develop a moving-mass recoil system in the turret, i.e. when the gun fires, a dense chunk of mass situated at the middle of the turret gets launched towards the back, forcing the whole RC to move to the mass' direction due to inertia. The mass is then brought back to the middle by some mechanism. That way, depending on the turret orientation, that part of the tank dips due to the recoil, unlike what is seen in the Tamiya T-10 video where, despite the gun facing to one side, the tank moves backward to give the impression of recoil.

Hmmmm....

It needs to be launched to the front in order to get that reaction, actually.

It'd need to stop somewhere, which would result in a far greater force than the spring accelerating it - so if a spring pushed the mass backwards, then the sudden deceleration when it hit the rear of the turret should give a nice impulse in the right direction to the vehicle. The force while the mass is accelerating might be small enough that you won't notice it, and you can delay the fire noise to account for the small lag before the mass hits the endstop.

• 4 months later...

Well I took Tomas's advice and got the Heng Long Challenger 2 and im happy to announce officially that THIS THING IS FRIGGING AWESOME!

The only negative I can find is that is near impossible to remove the exhaust of the tank for the smokemaker, the result being im pretty sure ive probably written it off. But I dont care, because its brilliant. It really looks like a Challenger 2, has a reasonable price, and the cross country mobility is actually pretty damn good. And its not even been upgraded yet.

Which brings me to my point, does anyone have any websites that sell 1-16 nato weapons? Im thinking the 7.62mm mount looks likes it needs fixing. Some 1.16 scale british tank crew would also be good, but I suspect also highly unlikely to get hold of. A recommendation of what kind of green is a good match for British Army NATO green, which im strongly of the opinion looks rather darker than the Tamiya one.

Anyway get it. if you have to sell your childrens toys to get one, do it. They will probably forgive you one day. :D

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^_^ ^_^ ^_^

Pix please! :D

Yes, the GPMG mount is molded on the turret and so far, all the peeps I've seen who owned that tank didn't modify the mount. Modern NATO weapons at 1/16 are hard to procure. I dunno if the GPMG is available at that scale. As for tank crew, I think I still got the 1/16 German and American figures from my Leo and Abrams RC tanks that I won't be using. If you like to surgically convert them to British (hehehe), I can send it to you by snailmail. :)

The green I used for my old 1/35 Challenger 2 was Mr Color Lacquer 303 aka FS34102 which looks ok enough based from the pix I've seen of the tank going to Kosovo. 'Course, lighting conditions and use in the field will "change" the colour....

I'm currently on full retard on my M1, with the Leo sidelined (I burned the electronics of that one hahaha!), and funds are allocated on the M1 and other more important stuff like new ref, pizza, new electronics for the M1, etc so I'm getting the CR2 probably next year.

Warning: if you go down the upgrade path, be ready to sell your entire neighborhood into slavery :lol:

That said, the following upgrade stuff currently available for the Challenger 2 can be found here:

http://www.dklmrc.com/Challenger_2/cat2389474_3125337.aspx

And then there's the electronics:

http://www.rctankelectronics.com/store/c2/IBU3%2C_IBU2%2C_TPA_%26_Deals.html

And then there's motors, gearboxes, tracks, etc.

Don't tell me I didn't warn you!

:lol:

Edited by Corinthian

Thanks for that Tomas. I was browsing last night and noticed they have some metal roadwheels, as well as a replacement sturdier gearbox and a few other gubbins. So lots of potential for upgrade here. Its just a shame there dont seem to be any stockists in the UK where I can slap my card down and get it in one go.

My main beef is the control unit. I had to unscrew mine and push all the plugs back int to get it to work correctly (or maybe it was just finger trouble on my part) and even now the battery on light doesnt seem to work very well. Im tempted to get a replacement Tamiya unit, im quite happy with how well they worked out in the Sherman and the Tiger, and it allows you to change the controller to anyone you want rather than (as it appears) be stuck with what Heng long want you to use. Id also like to fit a proper recoil unit. I dont see myself as ever using the airsoft system simply because I have chickens and I dont want them to eat plastic.

Yes, Ill have to look into crew figures. I dont think anyone currently does a British Army commander, but that should be up to being scratchbuilt if I apply myself.

Tempted to get a spray can of Nato BS381c ive noted on Amazon, but ive a strong feeling the monster is so big its going to need more than one can....

You mean brick-and-mortar shops? Well, there is always online UK shops like:

http://www.welshdragonmodels.co.uk/

and

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/

Further afield, there's rctanks.de on the continent.

Avoid Tankzone. Very bad customer relations.

The above mentioned RC Tank Electronics is also based in the UK. Fine fellow who owns that site, I've transacted with him a couple of times already. If you can, I suggest getting his IBU2 Pro package for the board and controller. That alone will improve your unit into hobby-grade level (from the current toy-grade). I use IBU2 Pro and TPA with two speakers in my M1, and am very happy with it. Price-wise, it is quite reasonable, best bang-for-buck electronics package IMO. You can have the radio configured by him already so all you have to do is plug and play. If you are willing to wait, wait for the IBU3 and Gun Stabilization Unit. Yep - GSU. I hope it lives up to the name (IBU3 currently being tested, GSU to be available for testing later in the year).

If you fancy doing some soldering and configuration voodoo with a Sony remote, go for Clark board, though I dunno if there's one for the Challenger 2 already. Cheaper than IBU2 but it's the soldering and configuration with a (from what I understand to be) going rare Sony remote that's the issue. No fuse also, so more likely to burn than the IBU2 (which has a fuse).

I've ordered from RC Tank Electronics (aforementioned electronics package), rctanks.de, and sussex model centre. Happy with their service. :)

Tamiya electronics is kinda dated and expensive anyway IMO. Best to get IBU2 as it's in your neck of the woods and customer service is most excellent (the owner will replace your unit free of charge IIRC if there's a non-user-induced malfunction). The RC tank scene in the UK is active and big. I reckon you know that by now. Lots of people there that can help you out with your Challenger, even battle with if you'll eventually get an IR battle system. :)

Bin the battery and charger that came with your unit, unless you fancy burning your newly acquired pride and joy as well as your house and village down hehehe get a real LiPo battery and smart charger. Will save you money in the long run. :)

Edited by Corinthian

Tomas, you are an absolute star. Thanks you for those links.

Yeah, Im idly wondering if the battery I had for the Tiger will work on this. It has a heavy duty charger, trouble is I cant remember if its 7.2 or 7.4. Ah well, its probably all the same to the Gremlins. :D

Yeah, I really would like a gun stab on this thing. Im also thinking of binning the airsoft and going for a light strobe for the gun, I think that at least would be an easy fix.

And thanks once again, there is a lot of good shit there. :)

Here's my M1 RC currently, I've modified it to an M1A2 SEP v2:

And yeah, the Pikachu crew is there alright. Mainly for kawaii-ness, and really to piss off the rivet counter :D

Some details:

I'm aiming for that gypsy wagon effect hehehe and yes, those are ketchup bottles, 1/8 I think in scale if not 1/4. Pikachu *loves* ketchup, hence the bottles hehehe

Those and the coolers are dollhouse miniatures. Coolers are 1/12 scale I think.

The ALICE packs and jerrycans are resin, from a Ebay vendor based in the UK. Good chap. One of the tarps is rolled up tissue that's been painted and given straps. The 120mm ammo can and jerrycan racks as well as the extended bustle rack are scratchbuilt. The MRE boxes were provided by a guy on the internet by email, which I then edited on MS Paint to update the expiration dates, and printed on brown envelope. Cut, folded, glued. The rolled up sleeping mats around the antennae is rubber from bicycle tire tubes. The antennae are guitar strings with the round ends made of built up superglue that's been dipped in water. The other stowage bits are resin pieces from an Australian vendor (TankArmy). Missing are .30-cal, .50-cal, and 40mm ammo boxes that I'm waiting for a guy to produce en masse (I helped him research the dimensions and provided pix) with resin.

Finally, the CROWS-2 which, among others, makes this RC tank - originally a base model M1A2 - to the SEP v2:

Edited by Corinthian

Some other details:

Working fenders (from fixed molded ones), the tank's name (because the Leo is named Bun Bun, this one is Nub Nub), and because there are people who gotta get 'em all Pokemons and make them fight in Thunderdome hence the custom-made Molon Labe decal on the CIP hehehehe

On we go to what makes this an RC tank - the internals:

Hull deck and hull are held together by magnets. The battery cover is glued shut. I removed the battery compartment for more space. A plastic bulkhead at front and back separates the battery-electronics compartment from the gearbox and front, making it water proof. All holes where the suspension arms meet the hull are sealed. The IBU2 Pro with TPA has dual channel audio, hence the two speakers. The one at the rear is for engine sound. The one at the front is for other sounds (MG, main gun, etc). The grey bars on the sponsons and other areas are lead weights to add sprung weight so that the RC tank's suspension works better on rough terrain.

IBU2 Pro with TPA mounted on its side.

Steel gearbox with red motors. The gears are steel, with axles on bearings. The gearbox comes with blue motors but I've replaced those with stronger red ones. I'll be replacing these red ones with JP480 motors (similar to the red ones, but better).

LiPo battery. My RC tank came with 2000maH NiCD. I use those NiCD batteries for testing electronics. For playing, the LiPo gives me around thirty minutes of rough handling.

Front speaker is an oblong one. That and the rear speaker are from RC Tank Electronics. The oblong speaker produces better sound than the rear speaker, hence better for main gun and machinegun sounds. Those are rubber track pads that came loose from the track.

I binned the stock turret traverse mechanism and replaced it with a servo. This gives quieter and faster turret traverse. M1 turret traverse is around 9 seconds. My RC tank's turret traverse is around that fast (give or take a few milliseconds).

I didn't have time to open up the turret and take photos of the internals. The main gun was modified so it can recoil. I've binned the airsoft component and added an LED inside the barrel that flashes when the main gun fires. With the coming IBU3, I'll be able to make the CROWS-2 move and "fire" as well with an LED inside like the coax. Gun elevation and recoil are controlled by two servos.

Edited by Corinthian

And finally group shots with the currently dead Leo2 (I burned the electronics when the modified stock turret mechanism [replaced the motor with a faster one] got stuck and I forced it to work):

NATO POWER! :lol:

I gave the Leo2 lichen for foliage camo. I recently came across pix of M1A2 SEP v2s in Europe that also had foliage for camo, so I'm gonna put some on the RC M1 as well soon.

:D

I forgot to mention that the M1 has metal idlers with track tension mechanism (from henntec.de), metal sprockets (I had to drill holes to replicate the ones on the real sprockets - TankArmy now sells M1 sprockets with the holes), and metal tracks with rubber pads on the outside. I plan on replacing it with another set of metal tracks that has rubber pads both inside and outside. I've lost a LOT of rubber pads already from the rough playing huhuhuhuhu....

I also forgot to mention that the turret traverse gear was modified so it can turn 360-degrees. All wires in the turret also go through a slipring which solves the tangling problem.

Edited by Corinthian

Just a personal observation, but as far as camo, Id leave the M1A2 as it is because its sheer awesomeness. If you put any more camouflage on it, nobody will see what an excellent job you have made of it. Pikachu is sheer awesomeness by the way, but Id consider fitting them with proper crew helmets or crew coordination in a combat situation is going to suffer. :D

Excellent modelling. And I particularly like the non slip coat on the deck, im guessing did you do that?

The tracks are pretty much the same thing on Leopard 2 as they are on Challenger 2, so I might be able to buy some of those as long as I can get a metal sprocket that will fit them. Though I do see even Heng Long is offering metral tracks for it.

Id love to clutter my chally up like that, but having stowage lockers that all lock onto the hull its not very practical. I think the most external clutter I can justify is the jerry can and water can in the rear hull basket (which I may end up replacing).

You mentioned about the battery causing fires, are they really that bad? Im thinking I probably ought to start there first if there is any kind of risk to my pride and joy.

Hehehe thanks :D

The M1A2 SEP v2s with the camo foliage can be found here:

http://tank-masters.de/?m=201504

Not as much foliage as the Poles used on their Leos, so I'm looking to add a few here and there like the M1s in that site.

I was thinking of making helmets but wondered "How about their ears?" hehehehe

Before you buy metal tracks for the Challenger, Heng Long did not do their research and so the metal tracks for the Leo will NOT fit on the sprockets of the Challenger. You'll have to grind the sprockets. And if you're using metal tracks, better use metal sprockets. The HL Leo and HL M1 can interchange tracks just like NATO STANAG.

I don't recall seeing Challengers cluttered up with stowage. Mostly camo nets.

Sunday told me about the recharger hehehe as for the batteries, not really that bad, they just aren't as good as LiPos. More value for money if you use LiPo batteries.

Hehehe thanks :D

The M1A2 SEP v2s with the camo foliage can be found here:

http://tank-masters.de/?m=201504

Not as much foliage as the Poles used on their Leos, so I'm looking to add a few here and there like the M1s in that site.

I was thinking of making helmets but wondered "How about their ears?" hehehehe

Before you buy metal tracks for the Challenger, Heng Long did not do their research and so the metal tracks for the Leo will NOT fit on the sprockets of the Challenger. You'll have to grind the sprockets. And if you're using metal tracks, better use metal sprockets. The HL Leo and HL M1 can interchange tracks just like NATO STANAG.

I don't recall seeing Challengers cluttered up with stowage. Mostly camo nets.

Sunday told me about the recharger hehehe as for the batteries, not really that bad, they just aren't as good as LiPos. More value for money if you use LiPo batteries.

Thanks, Ill look into that.

Helmets, well you could cut holes in them to have the ears stick out. I think that would look hilarious. :D

No, Challengers never very cluttered. Im idly thinking buying another one and backdating it to Challenger 1 would be possible, but it would take a hell of a lot of work to the turret.. Id also need some single pin tracks,which nobody as far as I know makes yet. At least it would give a chance to load the thing down with stowage in the external bins.

Im thinking of a Leopard 2 next, maybe in Polish colours which would be an interesting change. Abrams would be fun, I did buy one some years ago but it wa sa pretty cheap one with no suspension. If I could buy a decent suspension set for it I might have a go at upgrading it.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

BTW, if you wanna do a barrel recoil, this is the best way you can do so:

https://heng-long-panzer.de/Rc-Panzer-Rc-Tank-Clark-Model-modules-TK-22/Clark-Universal-Servo-Recoil--Heng-Long-Tanks.html?XTCsid=0090dae6c9265a9b68eb874d5da52413

Buy that unit, remove the airsoft unit, do a bit of modification on the mantlet (as there might be a screw to remove, and some plastic to be shaved), install this, and you get a very reliable plug-and-play barrel recoil.

I'm getting a pair ASAP. Solves the issue of alignment and a wobbling barrel once you remove the airsoft component. Also very easy to set up.

The Abrams you mentioned could've been the Hobby Engine M1 which came out some years ago. The HL offering is much much better than the Hobby Engine one. The only thing good about the Hobby Engine M1 is that it comes with .50-cal ammo boxes.

HL's Leo is a 2A6. IIRC, the Poles only have the Leo with the shorter gun. Still, if you fancy either cutting the barrel, or get a spare barrel (dunno if available) from the M1, you can do a Polish Leo2A5.

I'm waiting for how the Leo2 upgrade will end up looking. My plan is to do a NATO tank platoon composing the M1, German Leo2, Challenger 2, and Polish Leo2. Was toying the idea of getting the coming HL T-90 and converting it to PT-91 or getting the HL T-90 AND the Trumpeter T-72 and combine both with some modifications to do a PT-91, but seeing the Poles intend to replace the T-xx altogether, I'll go for the upgraded Leo2.

Hope you have a lot of fun with your Challenger! :)

Had to do a bit of surgery to mine to cut off the thermal identification panels off the side of the turret. I dont know why they put these on, they have yet to be seen in Europe, and the only configuration in which it would suit is with the full uparmour set. Which Ive no mind to build, admitting though id be happy to have a go at it if someone came up with some decent plans I could replicate.

Anyway took them off. Did a bit of scar damage to the side of the turret, but easy fixed with some modelling putty. Ill try and get some at the weekend.

Yeah, that was probably the Hobby Engine one. Not very impressed. The turret is quite nice, but the hull frankly is pants.

T-90? I must admit I wouldnt mind that. Though backdating to a T72B or B3 would be more my cup of tea.

Not sure what version the Poles are going to end up with. They are updating to 2A5, but I wouldnt be surprised if they got to full 2A6 shortly down the line. We shall have to see. I suspect cutting the barrel wouldnt be that hard, as long as im not worried about airsoft.

Has anyone actually used the airsoft on these things? I really cant see much point without an on board camera. And maybe laser rangefinder, wind sensor, boiling vessel etc etc.

Yep. Supposedly it is already available - in Russia. There were a lot of pre-orders for the T-90 in Russia, for obvious reasons. It's said the T-90 might be available to everyone else later this year. The Poles have the 2A5 already in service but are going to upgrade to Leopard 2PL (see the Polish Armor modernization thread in this board).

I have used the airsoft unit mainly for kicks but had to bin it in my M1 for internal space reasons. Taigen recently came up with a recoiling Airsoft unit which debuted in its Tiger I tanks. Dunno if it'll find its way as a kit to be retrofitted in other RC tanks. I'll be switching to the Vampire hidden battle unit on my RC tanks which is available at RC Tank Electronics. Imagine MILES gear, but instead of laser, it uses IR. The plan is to have a custom set built by Ian (of RC Tank Electronics) which I will install on the M1 and Leo around the turret simulating the MILES gear. The IR sensors will be visible but there will be dummies, and all along the belt running around the turret. Almost hiding in plain sight. My main problem is having someone play with me, preferably the other guy has a Russian or Chinese RC tank - unless the idea is to simulate a war between Yurrup and USA (hmmm.... Emperor Merkel vs Chancellor Trump bwuhahahahahaha!).

Yes, you *must* included a boiling vessel on your Challenger. :lol:

I forgot, you mentioned the anti-slip on the M1. Yep, it's quite exagerrated though hahahaha! I used a roll of self-adhesive anti-slip mat. I cut to shape then taped it on the tank. :D

Edited by Corinthian