R/c Tanks - Any Recommends?

Corinthian

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking for some of those HD security cams, the little ones. I might fit them in the gunner's sights hehehehe

OBTW, Heng Long will be releasing a 1/16 T-90.

OMG....

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2093002&d=1430327279

Also...

Did I say I'm getting that 1/16 M1A2 sometime later in the month?

I meant tomorrow.

^_^

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

ACK! No M1A2 today!

The seller tried to pull a fast one on me. The deal was for the plastic version (i.e., with plastic tracks and nylon geared transmission).

Just hours before delivery, I was informed the plastic tank they had for me was damaged and it was the only plastic version left, and that instead I should buy the more expensive metal version (i.e., metal tracks and zinc alloy geared transmission).

I told them that I had already ordered from eBay the proper metal tracks for the M1 (the metal tracks that come with the metal version makes use of Leopard 2A6 tracks), and a steel geared transmission, so I only need the cheaper plastic version.

They'll inform me next week if they'll have a new shipment of plastic version. If not, it's online purchase again for the M1 this time.

Bun Bun will have to wait for a little while longer....

• 2 weeks later...

:lol: Tanks!

BWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Been messing around with my Leo. Now it is no longer limited to 320-degrees traverse, but full 360-degrees. I need a slipring, though, otherwise the wires inside will get tangled like awhile ago hahahaha! Also modified the headlights because the stock configuration was ugly (white LEDs poking out of the housing; I followed an already posted mod at an RC forum to make it more realistic). Hopefully next month, new motors and servos will arrive for more modifications. Holy Grail would be upgrading the electronics to hobby-grade (from the current just-a-toy level), but that's gonna cost lots of money waaaahehehe....

Hey Stuart, you might be interested in this which, scuttlebutt has it, is set to arrive on England's shores sometime in June 2015 (currently in a container from China, pro'ly the ship is on its way already - unless Somalis have pirated it :D ):

:wub:

I think I'm getting this one first before the T-90 just to complete my NATO lineup. ^_^

Poor future-acquired T-90 is gonna be lonely, fighting off the evil decadent capitalist fascists aggression towards the Rodina by its lonesome self.... :D

Edited by Corinthian

Whom exactly is building this?

More British tanks built abroad. :(

:lol: Heng Long. In China. :D

Let's hope the MoD doesn't think these RC tanks would be replacements for the real thing :lol:

The video you linked shows the prototype model. I think there've been improvements on it since then.

Edited by Corinthian

Get that T-90 a Type 99 buddy!

Ya'll are making me imagine getting a Type 10..

Tamiya's Type 10 is awesome.

https://youtu.be/NRclm-Npdeo.

Though I wonder why there's track recoil there. Looks too exaggerated like in the Heng Long tanks (which I'm gonna disable on my Leo2 one day).

Max H: GET ONE! :D

Get that T-90 a Type 99 buddy!

Ya'll are making me imagine getting a Type 10..

Tamiya's Type 10 is awesome.https://youtu.be/NRclm-Npdeo.

Though I wonder why there's track recoil there. Looks too exaggerated like in the Heng Long tanks (which I'm gonna disable on my Leo2 one day).

Max H: GET ONE! :D

Yea, it looks sweet. Maybe a few years down the road. Just be neat to have now :lol:

I'd like those RC manufacturers to develop a moving-mass recoil system in the turret, i.e. when the gun fires, a dense chunk of mass situated at the middle of the turret gets launched towards the back, forcing the whole RC to move to the mass' direction due to inertia. The mass is then brought back to the middle by some mechanism. That way, depending on the turret orientation, that part of the tank dips due to the recoil, unlike what is seen in the Tamiya T-10 video where, despite the gun facing to one side, the tank moves backward to give the impression of recoil.

Hmmmm....

I'd like those RC manufacturers to develop a moving-mass recoil system in the turret, i.e. when the gun fires, a dense chunk of mass situated at the middle of the turret gets launched towards the back, forcing the whole RC to move to the mass' direction due to inertia. The mass is then brought back to the middle by some mechanism. That way, depending on the turret orientation, that part of the tank dips due to the recoil, unlike what is seen in the Tamiya T-10 video where, despite the gun facing to one side, the tank moves backward to give the impression of recoil.

Hmmmm....

It needs to be launched to the front in order to get that reaction, actually.

IIRC there's a UK based online seller for those tanks. Or at least in Germany. From what I've read, those two (welshdragons.uk and rctank.de) have an outstanding reputation from the RC tank crowd in UK. You can get it cheaper from those two with upgrade parts at faster shipping vs Amazon.

Bob was building a 1/16 or 1/6 RC Chieftain back then. AFAIK the project stalled due to real life stuff. I hope is ok. If you still have contact with him, do please send him my regards. He might be interested in these RC tanks too. :)

Well, while fiddling with the tank electronics, I found that the plastic bits of the hull holding up the screws for the suspension arms are cracked. Good thing these were still attached and I've since reinforced the area with aluminium strips. Will further strengthen the area with epoxy putty which will have lead weights embedded in it.

The hull is completely stripped of stuff inside. I've removed the battery compartment to make more room and replaced the screws so the hull halves will be secured by magnets making opening the hull easier to do. I'm planning to relocate the electronics to the upper hull half and have the battery elevated a bit to avoid making these wet when the tank goes through puddles. The large speaker I bought will also be mounted at the upper hull half, which reminds me I'll have to salvage some styrofoam from the office to use as mounts for the speaker hehehehe

Eventually, the OEM electronics will be replaced with hobby-grade ones in the future that accepts custom sounds. The current sounds are pretty crappy and with the new speaker, the newer electronics with better sound files will mean a better sounding tank.

Right now, the goal is to strengthen the hull so I can run the tank hard (apparently, some people buy these large scale RC tanks as shelf-queens or run it softly, i.e. just back and forth on smooth floors).

Pix to follow as they come. :P