R/c Tanks - Any Recommends?

Corinthian

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Entertainment value:

Hitting somebody with an invisible IR beam = 0

Shooting your buddy square in the nuts as he walks up the steps in your front yard and your new RC tank goes tophat out of the shrubs and fires a BB = priceless

:lol:

Thomas, you should really splurge and get one of those bigger tanks and mount a .410 shot gun. You could then blast those pesky little motorized critters to smithereens. :o

HAHAHAHAHA!

Years ago, I daydreamed of scratchbuilding an R/C scale model of an STRV-103C using a working .50 M2 as the main gun and basis for scale. ^_^ If only I had near-unlimited resources (if I had unlimited resources, I'd get a real tank hahahaha!)

Stuart: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!

I haven't gotten my tank yet, but I've got the upgraditis bug already. I asked my friend to order a metal upgrade set of tracks (with separate rubber pads and even grousers), idlers and sprockets, and a steel gearbox for the upcoming Leo2A6. Looking to order a set of metal road wheels, return rollers, and springs too. Just saw a video of one guy who upgraded his tank as such and it fairly looks like the real thing when it runs around on terrain:

I blame that guy for the upgrade kits I'm buying.

^_^

Thomas, you should really splurge and get one of those bigger tanks and mount a .410 shot gun. You could then blast those pesky little motorized critters to smithereens. :o

In a 1/6 model, proper main gun caliber would be 20 x 139 mm.

I WANT ONE SO BAD! YELLOW AND BLACK PLEASE! I SHALL NAME IT PIKACHU! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFlwtsi5O84

Especially the tank action. Unfortunately boring background music instead of real sounds. Thomas, place your order!

WOW. :blink: ^_^

Apparently, I missed the video review of the Henglong 1/16 CR2 preproduction kit. I want that lots. Oz Armour has it in Coming Soon. I read somewhere it comes out Q2 2015. So excited. Now I'm thinking which to get - the M1A2 or the CR2? WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

If I get the CR2, I'll turn it into my 1/16 version of 11B Royal Scots Dragoons. The M1A2 I'll repaint into NATO 3-colour (am sick and tired of desert scheme already hahahahaha).

Looking to get 1/16 decals for the Leo2A6. CAN'T WAIT FOR FEBRUARY!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Shoots Airsoft BB's.

BTW, IR Systems >>>>> Airsoft gun systems. I have 2 1/24 tanks (Japanese Type 90 and T-72M1) and the IR system is much more fun, as are the Tamiyas when they're kitted out with it. I'll eventually buy the Chieftain kit with IR setup as well.

Entertainment value:

Hitting somebody with an invisible IR beam = 0

Shooting your buddy square in the nuts as he walks up the steps in your front yard and your new RC tank goes tophat out of the shrubs and fires a BB = priceless

This raises an interesting point. Airsoft guns, due to their being reproductions of real weapons, are not able to be legally owned in Australia. Nerf guns, as they are much harder to mistake for a real weapon, are legal.

BUT, if an airsoft system was mounted in a 1/16 scale PFV (plastic fighting vehicle....) no one could reasonably be able to say that the system could be mistaken for the real thing............

Not able to be legally owned in Oz? Sorry, I am confused. That means you cannot own ANY Airsoft gun at all unless you do it illegally? Or do you have to go through some legal process like get permits or something to legally own one?

Since I'm not big on airsoft, I am not all too familiar with owning an airsoft gun. Last I heard is one has to at least register his airsoft gun with the police, just so they know you have only a glorified toy gun that looks like the real thing, and not the real thing. Also, IIRC, they are also banned during election times, the logic IIRC is that the same can be used to threaten, deter, or compel unsuspecting voters who think it's the real thing.

Wiki sums it up nicely:

Australia

Importation of Airsoft guns – regardless of their legal status by state – requires an Australian Customs B709 Importation of Firearms – Police Confirmation and Certification Form.[1] These forms can be obtained from the relevant state's police department, however some states may require operators hold a valid license for the class of firearm wished to import before the forms will be issued. Airsoft possession is generally not considered a valid reason for obtaining a firearms license.

As a general rule, the following types of Airsoft guns are illegal in all states:

1. Guns with folding or detachable stocks
  2. Guns capable of fully automatic fire
  3. Guns that outwardly resemble a sub-machine gun or machine pistol

In addition, each state has its own legislation regarding possession and use of Airsoft guns:

New South Wales

Airsoft is regulated under the Firearms Act 1996 that classifies them as firearms which the New South Wales police do not allow any genuine reason for.

Queensland

Airsoft weapons, under current legislation, irrespective of muzzle velocity, cannot be lawfully possessed in Queensland. As an Airsoft firearm cannot be used in Queensland lawfully it cannot be imported into Queensland.[2]

South Australia

Changes to South Australian law (in particular the Firearms Amendment Act 2008) mean that Airsoft guns with a muzzle velocity of less than 175 f/s are considered "regulated imitation firearms", while those guns exceeding this limit are considered firearms. In practice both types fall under the same licensing and storage requirements,[3] as "regulated imitations" are considered de facto firearms by law; furthermore, they are considered to belong to the class of firearm they imitate − for example, a Marushin M1 Carbine would be considered a Class D firearm, as it imitates a semi-automatic center-fire rifle.[4] Regardless of this, South Australian police will refuse to register an Airsoft rifle.

Victoria

Airsoft articles are not permitted in Victoria under the Victorian Legislation and Victoria Police will not issue any authorisation for their importation on the basis that no genuine reason exists to own them, because there is no approved range in Victoria.[5]

Western Australia

Airsoft articles are not permitted in Western Australia and Western Australian Police will not issue any authorisation for their importation.

Northern Territory

Only paintball guns are prohibited in the Northern Territory, and all other Airsoft firearms are legal with the right Firearms Licence

Australian Capital Territory

The ACT is governed by the Australian Federal Police; all Airsoft guns that resemble semi-automatic or automatic military rifles or shotguns adapted for military purpose are considered prohibited weapons, as are "an imitation or replica of any firearm (including an imitation or replica pistol, shortened firearm, machine gun or submachine gun) unless it is of a type approved by the Registrar".[6]

Tasmania

"Due to the nature of the sport of Airsoft (as with Paintball) it is classified as a ‘war game’ which is defined in the Firearms Act 1996 as a simulated military exercise or similar activity in which a firearm is used or carried by a person. Section 119 of the Firearms Act 1996 (TAS) prohibits a person from taking part in, allowing, causing, assisting or advertising or promoting any war games. As a result war games such as paintball and Airsoft are prohibited in Tasmania. It has previously been established that an Airsoft gun would be categorised as an air rifle or air pistol for which a category A (air rifle) or category H (air pistol) firearms licence would be required, however, the Firearms Act does not provide for an appropriate ‘genuine reason’ to possess a firearm for Airsoft activities, therefore an Airsoft firearm would not be able to be registered in Tasmania as the applicant could not provide a satisfactory reason for wanting to own and possess the firearm. In short, the playing of the sport of Airsoft and the possession of Airsoft firearms in Tasmania is currently banned and that position will not change in the near future." - direct quote in response to an emailed inquiry.[7]

===========================================================================

Now before you go all bolshie about this, not too many people in Australia have even heard of airsoft and even those who have are not clamouring for the devices to be made legal.

Paintball guns, by the way, are legal if the owner is licenced by the relevant state police force.

Port Arthur hangs heavy over the Australian psyche nd it will take the passing of the generation alive in 1996 to loosen Australian gun laws.

I just find it interesting that toy guns are that controlled in Oz. Thanks Doug.

You can still buy toy guns, but you cannot buy replicas that may be used in an offence.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sooo.... where are the pictures? films? complaints from run-into innocent bystanders?

:lol:

Shipping was delayed because it couldn't fit in the usual box with some other items. It's supposed to arrive this month or April in its own box.

• 1 month later...

I HAS TANK! ^_^

Actually it arrived last week and have been having lots of fun with it lately. ^_^

I upgraded the plastic tracks with metal ones (which had rubber pads!). Each track segment is connected by two pins. It's almost like the real thing. ^_^

I also upgraded the idler and sprocket with metal ones, as well as the gearbox with metal gears instead of the stock one with plastic gearing.

Did some "track maintenance" yesterday and it was HARD :lol: spent ours trying to pry out pins, and hours trying to insert pins as well hahahaha!

I can't wait to get the 360-degree modification kit so turret can do 360 turns (currently limited to 320), updated electronics, and other stuff. :lol:

I HAS TANK! ^_^

Actually it arrived last week and have been having lots of fun with it lately. ^_^

I upgraded the plastic tracks with metal ones (which had rubber pads!). Each track segment is connected by two pins. It's almost like the real thing. ^_^

I also upgraded the idler and sprocket with metal ones, as well as the gearbox with metal gears instead of the stock one with plastic gearing.

Did some "track maintenance" yesterday and it was HARD :lol: spent ours trying to pry out pins, and hours trying to insert pins as well hahahaha!

I can't wait to get the 360-degree modification kit so turret can do 360 turns (currently limited to 320), updated electronics, and other stuff. :lol:

Some pics or vid would be nice...share the fun :D

The inspired-by-Syrian-tanks-with-GoPro vid will have to wait because I'm too lazy to upload it to the computer hahahaha! But below are some pix including stills taken by my celphone's cam of the monitor showing the action cam footage. :D

Bun Bun (as I have affectionately named it) fresh from its box. Some stuff not yet installed when pic was taken. Van's wheel behind for scale. IT IS BIGGER THAN I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE. :blink: :D

Two kittehs on teh bed, much adorbz hehehehe

Bun Bun TC'd by Totoro. Later on, I'll have the TC replaced with an appropriate Reichtangle hehehehe!

Dad pushing out Bun Bun hehehehe

At the Lalaland Training Area hihihihi! Note action cam SJC4000 attached on bustle for that "Syrian tanks" vibe hehehehe

The Heights of Silliness. This is actually a mountain bike trail.

*vomit* hehehehe

Gunner-sabot-pots hehehehe

Gunner-sabot-jeep hehehehe

Gunner-sabot-OMG A GIANT! hehehehehe

Doug, here in the UK the individual is licenced to purchase airsoft guns from retaliers (not sure if there is any restriction on public sales). To get licenced you have to prove that you attend an airsoft ground with its own insurance a certain number of times a year (I think it's three). As with Australia, various massacres loom large over the British psyche. I don't see any pressure to remove restrictions and more are coming - for example a pretty punitive airgun licencing scheme here in Scotland against which not a single MSP voted on its first passage through the Scottish Parliament.

Stuart: It's basically assembled already. The fragile parts (grenade launchers, brackets, handles) and other stuff that doesn't make it fit in the box are left out and found in sprue trees. No painting required unless one is very anal about it. :D Since the purpose is one of fun rather than accuracy-for-display, I didn't bother cleaning up the parts or making stuff accurate. Just install battery and it'll run.

The metal tracks, idler wheels, and sprockets are aftermarket parts, and while the tracks are assembled, there are extra links that you can add if the fit is too tight. Also, the rubber pads are separate (comes with the metal tracks) and you have to glue each pad to the track otherwise you end up losing pads. I've lost quite a number already but have replaced these by making my own from bicycle interior tubes and contact cement. Pads are glued to track with superglue. Decals are rub-on dry transfers which are very easy to apply.

More pix from a recent vacation:

Anschluss II -

The little boy asked "Why are there no footprints on the sand?" And Jesus replied "TANK!" -

Bun Bun cares not for little ineffective signs -

Bun Bun having a moment on the beach, contemplating about vicissitudes of life, the mystery of the universe, and how best to do Operation Sealion II -

Planning to get the HL 1/16 M1A2 Abrams by the end of the month. That one I will modify to a SEP v2 so will need to build new turret APU, extended bustle rack, CROWS II, loader's TUSK stuff, and some minor hull modifications, and repainting it entirely in NATO 3-colour so Bun Bun can have a stablemate. It'll be named Nub Nub. :lol:

And here's wishing that Heng Long will finally release a 1/16 Challenger 2. I've only seen videos of a prototype.

Ok. I have succumbed. :lol: I told my friend to order for me a set of 1/16 metal tracks for the HL M1A2 Abrams. ^_^

I'll be getting the Abrams hopefully next week or sometime later this month. :D