Windows 10 Speculation Page

Murph

Will it be a winner, or will it be an over priced POS? I expect that Microsoft will try to split the baby in terms of Windows 8 crap, and getting desktop folks back on board. I think they will price it very high, and make it expensive. I think they will demand you use the cloud (unsecure, hackable, snoopable) for your storage. I think they will insist on a Microsoft account as a condition of use. I pray that they do this one right.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Said it before, will say it again. I don't see win 8/8.1 as a failure. I've used it for roughly two years now and I don't have any serious issues. (with not so big issues I culdn naem is that my background picture change the way it's positioned on reboot).

As for cloud storage, it will be available but I don't see that everything will be in the cloud, maybe a microsoft account but I'm not sure about that. I wonder how they will reinstate the start menu, not that I've actually missed it all that much. I hope that they will make it more intuitive to choose it you want to use an app or a desktop program for different situations.

Win98SE - ok

WinME - fail

WinXP - ok

WinVista - fail

Win7 - ok

Win8 - fail

Win 9 - skipped

Win 10 - fail...?

:o

You forgot best one they made - Win 2000.

Where I work, we get about 5 up and 1 down, on a good day, and about 100kbps bi when there's a kink in the pipe. Using Office 365 is painful and frustrating when we are getting full bandwidth, enraging when the pipe ain't flowing. Doing cloud storage would be the death blow to this organization.

Since I use my computer mainly for surfing (including YouTube) and email, I haven't had any real problems until 8, where I find the tiles useless and annoying.

Hopefully 10 will separate the tiles part into a separate tablet OS.

8 and now 8.1 are on my daughters laptop, and she hates all the tablet crap on her laptop, and no start button until I added Classic shell. I have to give 8 this, its stable, but the interface sucks. I really hope 10 is better.

Since I use my computer mainly for surfing (including YouTube) and email, I haven't had any real problems until 8, where I find the tiles useless and annoying.

Win98SE - ok

WinME - fail

WinXP - ok

WinVista - fail

Win7 - ok

Win8 - fail

Win 9 - skipped

Win 10 - fail...?

You forgot best one they made - Win 2000.

The should have stopped at Windows 3.11 for Workgroups

8 and now 8.1 are on my daughters laptop, and she hates all the tablet crap on her laptop, and no start button until I added Classic shell. I have to give 8 this, its stable, but the interface sucks. I really hope 10 is better.

The Toshiba I'm now using isn't hopping between the desktop and tiles like my recent ASUS did. A lot of that was that there was a touchpad motion that would swap between DT and tiles. This doesn't happen with the Toshiba; perhaps an update changed it.

That's one of the issues we are all going to have with touchscreen technology; the way the touchpad/touchscreen drivers interact with the GUI.

XP SP3 on my ye olde laptop for office work. I am afraid to retire it huhuhuhuhu....

8.1 on my gaming laptop. Stable so far, but it's IMO "not as efficient" as XP.

Edited by Corinthian

I have created a win10 preview edition VM, using VMware Workstation 10, on my home desktop. So far, not too impressed. Start button is half Win7, half Win8. MS still stuck on the Libraries thing. Haven't yet found a way to remove the tiles from the Start menu. Powering down seems to take forever, but that may be an artifact of virtual HW not OS cogitations.

My vista keeps chugging along, it's not bad, but it's not great either.

Mine too, it was a mature version when I got this computer so I guess most of the bad stuff had been ironed out. I figure now that they've pulled the plug on XP, Vista will be next. Then I'll be forced to do something.

The Toshiba I'm now using

That's your problem right there.

The computer is doing fine. :)

They must be sending monkey models and rejects to the Philippines... ;)

Edited by shep854

I am looking at getting another PC early next year, likely going with Win 7 as an OS. The Federal government just moved from XP to Win 7 so I expect it will be around for a good number of years. Large organizations do not like to change OS often and for good reason.

Edited by Colin

Win98SE - ok

WinME - fail

WinXP - ok

WinVista - fail

Win7 - ok

Win8 - fail

Win 9 - skipped

Win 10 - fail...?

You forgot win 95 - semi fail, because novel, Win 98 - fail; Win 2000 - Epic win, Win 8.1 - ok.

I just installed a Razer Blackwidow Ultimate keyboard, and it was painful. Also I used CCleaner to clean up approx 3.5 gigs of cruft on my computer. I hope that Windows 10 actively enforces program control to keep sh*t from building up on the computer.

That's a good way of getting rid of much crap. Most windows users, myself included, runs as an administrator which can make it easier for trojans and stuff to be installed. That's one of the things you get rid of using a Mac IIRC, you "can't" run it as an administrator. Somehow we are used to running windows as an admin user which is not always desireable.

/R

Most windows users, myself included, runs as an administrator ...

Not since Windows 7.

You may run your system as a pseudo-admin, and you don't need to log off and on again to get admin things done, but at least you still need to confirm that it's you who ordered these activities. Combined with memory obfuscation this really helped to drive down infection rates to about a tenth of the level that you had with the late Win XP while it was still supported.

Wait what happened to Windows 9? :huh:

As for MS ditching Win 7 - Not gonna happen, a lot of corporate and particularly goverment systems are only just starting the move to Win 7.

Combine this with the shenanigans with using Win 8/8.1 and Win 7 will be the New XP, around for a long, long time...