Hms Queen Elizabeth

John_Ford

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ah, but 'tis deceptive. Because on the way to the breakers yard, she would almost certainly have had the mast took down. Turner painted them put back in, partly to honor her glorious victory at Trafalgar, partly because it made her look a ghost ship she would soon become. Its really about the old Royal Navy of sail making way for the glorious future of mechanization. Or something.

Yeah, thats ok, but the ghastly Albacore spoils the view. Why not a sporty Corsair, or a sleek Spitfire? Even a  humble stringbag had a  'dont mess with me pal' look.😔

2 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

Ah, but 'tis deceptive. Because on the way to the breakers yard, she would almost certainly have had the mast took down. Turner painted them put back in, partly to honor her glorious victory at Trafalgar, partly because it made her look a ghost ship she would soon become. Its really about the old Royal Navy of sail making way for the glorious future of mechanization. Or something.

Yeah, thats ok, but the ghastly Albacore spoils the view. Why not a sporty Corsair, or a sleek Spitfire? Even a  humble stringbag had a  'dont mess with me pal' look.😔

What if it had been a Blackburn Blackburn...

Edited by shep854

Or a lovely Sea Fury. :(

Its not that I cant get enthused about the Fleet Air Arm in WW2, they did some great work. It would be easier to get enthusiastic if most of their aircraft were not so obviously obsolete and come to that, fugly.

11 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

Its not that I cant get enthused about the Fleet Air Arm in WW2, they did some great work. It would be easier to get enthusiastic if most of their aircraft were not so obviously obsolete and come to that, fugly.

Functional, Stuart...functional. ;)

20 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

And the seaborne aircraft that they faced in the European theatre, flown off the RN Aquila and the Graf Zeppelin in combat, were so much better....

Anyway, the Albacore could and did fly with bicycles strapped to their struts. 

An equivalent feat by a naval aircraft that was not a COD, albeit not off a carrier, was not until RNZAF pilots used the vacant space in the empty avionics hump of their A-4 Skyhawks to carry a full set of golf clubs and other luggage when being sent to distant (well, sort of, that was New Zealand) postings.

On 7/3/2021 at 7:05 PM, DougRichards said:

And the seaborne aircraft that they faced in the European theatre, flown off the RN Aquila and the Graf Zeppelin in combat, were so much better....

Anyway, the Albacore could and did fly with bicycles strapped to their struts. 

An equivalent feat by a naval aircraft that was not a COD, albeit not off a carrier, was not until RNZAF pilots used the vacant space in the empty avionics hump of their A-4 Skyhawks to carry a full set of golf clubs and other luggage when being sent to distant (well, sort of, that was New Zealand) postings.

They managed to attach beer barrels to a Spitfire for D-Day.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/world-war-ii/the-beer-barrel-bombers-keg-carrying-spitfires-brought.html

I remember reading that when British aircraft carriers we travelling threw the Suez canal to the gulf all non essential personnel were armed and stood on deck ready to shoot any terrorists that would challenge their passage. I wonder if they still do it.

3 hours ago, TrustMe said:

I remember reading that when British aircraft carriers we travelling threw the Suez canal to the gulf all non essential personnel were armed and stood on deck ready to shoot any terrorists that would challenge their passage. I wonder if they still do it.

They did in this docuseries about HMS Duncan in 2018:

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/events/tv-film-radio/181126-warship

I've seen some videos showing the Osprey going operational for COD duties.  Maybe I just missed it, but how does the RN handle priority cargo/personnel transport to the battle group?

It seems to be mainly Merlins, but they have used Chinook in the role.

It may be the reason why the new Chinooks they are buying have been fitted for In flight refuelling. Though as someone has pointed out, good luck with using that now we are withdrawing Hercules....

The A400M Atlas has been trialed re fueling helicopters. I don't know if it has entered service yet.

The new Chinook buy is rumored to be the MH47G version, designed for special ops. The US has never sold this variant to any other country yet, but you never know given the special relationship between the two countries.