tanknet.org

Hms Queen Elizabeth

I was going to say Conservative Treasurers actually. 

Its the alliance system Rick. Our Enemies are your enemies, your enemies are our enemies. We might sometimes disagree about what represents an enemy prior to hostilities, as with Iran, but afterwards there usually isnt much debate about it. Im not sure why this isnt more widely appreciated in the US. It was demonstrated all through the War on Terror.

On a broader level, we still have a presence in Cyprus, we still have an occasional presence in Africa. We belatedly, after pretending the threat had gone away, appreciated we still need to have a presence in Belize. There is still the Falklands. It may actually prove more cost effective to withdraw forces from the Falklands, and put the money into the Carrier Force. I dont suppose the RAF is going to endorse that view. Clearly we want to trade with the Pacific Rim. Having the ability to project meaningful combat power occasionally into that region might prove useful in all sorts of trade deals. Or these regions have threats, they might has be as low as a guy with an AK47, or they might even be as much as an enemy bomber aircraft or a Battlecruiser. As has been said before, the willingness to use a weapon can emerge in an afternoon, the means to combat it might take decades to acquire. 

If you want an example of the kind of things British carriers have been useful for, there is a very good book by Rowland White, who illustrated the old Ark Royal, (RO9) and her airwings timely intervention in 1972, probably stopped a full scale invasion of British Honduras (Belize) In 1972. It illustrates the real utility of an Aircraft Carrier is not fighting wars. Its an extension of deterrence strategy. As the author neatly points out, and I believe he is right, we withdrew full size carriers, we got the Falklands. As an ex Sailor, I think you would like it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Phoenix-Squadron-Rowland-White/dp/0593054504/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Edited by Stuart Galbraith
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Daan said:

It must be nice trying to land on a carrier in such weather.

The F-35B's systems make it about as close to easy to land as possible...still very interesting, no doubt.  Being able to touch down amidships, where motion is minimal helps too.

Edited by shep854

Not nearly the high-risk event the Smithsonian Channel made it out to be; simply a matter of determining power and pitch requirement.  I've always presumed something similar was routine for Harrier short-field ops.  For the Marines, it could be that the deck arrangements of the gator carriers precluded the space for vertical rolling landings.

Compared to planting a Phantom onto the Ark Royal RO9, this looks like a piece of cake.

10 hours ago, shep854 said:

Not nearly the high-risk event the Smithsonian Channel made it out to be; simply a matter of determining power and pitch requirement.  I've always presumed something similar was routine for Harrier short-field ops.  For the Marines, it could be that the deck arrangements of the gator carriers precluded the space for vertical rolling landings.

Compared to planting a Phantom onto the Ark Royal RO9, this looks like a piece of cake.

Completely agree. Speed wise Im guessing the approach speed would be comparable to a Fairy Swordfish with a wind across the deck....

3 hours ago, Adam_S said:

Has this been posted yet?

Apparently the Royal Navy is looking into using them for assaulting small boats at sea.

I think someone posted something on it a few pages back, but that's some footage ive not seen, so thanks for that.

Incidentally someone saw a jetpack guy 6000 feet over LA the other day. So either someone has improved it, or there is going to be a new 'King of the Rocketmen' movie, and they got serious about viral marketing....