John_Ford

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

First Sea Lord says that he would like a bigger navy, but what we have is big enough for our requirements.The Navy is probably in the best shape its been since the cold war. I think its the Army at the moment that badly needs attention.

Indeed.  I was thinking of the classic 3-ship rotation: 1 deployed, 1 refit, 1 working up.

Yeah, thats just not going to happen. It was something of a miracle these ships got built at all, and there is still an ongoing battle about how big the F35B procurement will eventually be.

Makes sense of course, but sense rarely commends itself in British defence matters.

The Army has blotted its copybook very badly over Ajax and the CDS is navy too, so the Army is likely to have to suck it up for a while yet until it demonstrates it can manage to not fuck up high-profile programmes.

Don't forget that the Army is getting CR3 and Boxer, so it's got a couple of decent sized programmes that it needs to bring in as planned before it starts to gain any traction elsewhere.

It will also need to pull its finger out on SHORAD, too, because at the moment it has Starstreak and prayers, unless you're in FI.

Its not just the projects either. There was a 'robust' debate between the Defence Secretary and the Army the other day over sexual assault allegations and the fairly piss poor way the Army have been dealing with them. In truth the Navy has its own problems, but as they do have a female admiral, they can make a plausible case for having made rather more progress towards integrating women with the Navy, as can the RAF.

I think the best we can do with the Army is let it stew, and hope they pick someone in the future other than light infantrymen to head it. They seem have continued the bloat of the SF community (remarkably starving the SAS of resources to do it according to one account) and they really need someone who understands hardware and how to use it.

This was interesting, the RN claiming they had a 24 hour operating capability on Queen Elizabeth (for peak moments I guess) with I think it was 22 aircraft wasnt it? Sounds like a fairly efficient maintenance team.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

Perhaps the last joint-training QE has with a JMSDF vessel for a while now. Nov 11th, Gulf of Aden, JS Yugiri with HMS Queen Elizabeth, Diamond, Defender, RFA Fort Victory, Tide Spring. She was a very busy carrier during her time out here and got a lot done.

yudariQueen.jpg

https://www.mod.go.jp/js/Press/press2021/press_pdf/p20211112_01.pdf

https://twitter.com/ModJapan_jp/status/1459105602743902210

Edited by futon

Typically, crypto keys and more generally all volatile computer storage. I am not aware of any "Mission Impossible" style smoking tape drives, though they might exist.

You now have some epic Lalo Schifrin running through your head.

Well this is how far the Americans were prepared to go to recover a then brand new F-14 and AIM-54 Phoenix missile back in 1976 to keep it out of Soviet hands when it was accidently lost overboard from the USS John F Kennedy:

https://youtu.be/O4wKl8_ULaY

Edited by Captain Hurricane