Marcello

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

This map of Libyan oil wells helped provide me with more context for why factions are squabbling over particular regions of wasteland (though population centers factor into it, too .. a combined map would be handy)

https://www.canesis.net/Libya_Summary/Libya.htm

• 4 weeks later...

So both France and Egypt officially supporting LNA, now Egypt says they are gonna attack ships supplying GNA from Turkey...

https://www.alaraby.co.uk/english/news/2020/3/9/egypt-forms-force-to-attack-turkish-ships-off-libya

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With the help of Turkey, the GNA has recently gone on the offensive against Haftar's LNA. A few days ago the GNA captured al-Watiyah Airbase, including a former UAE Pantsir S1. It been put on a transporter with presumably Turkey as final destination. Video showing the SAM-system being loaded on a trailer: https://twitter.com/i/status/1262712677450895363

In the hangar, tubes loaded:

Yb8OoWR.jpg

It came with some manuals:

Gx0rC0F.jpg

On the way:

9UWUZzv.jpg

A second Pantsir was destroyed in a hangar. Its crushed remnants are shown below:

EzqJere.jpg

xz3D5gv.jpg

Supposedly the drone strike on one of the Pantsirs at the base:

Then, there is footage of a Turkish drone strike on a 3rd Pantsir somewhere on a road in Libya, released a few days ago:

All in all, Haftar's forces have lost 3-4 Pantsirs in the space of a few days.

Edited by Daan

All in all, Haftar's forces have lost 3-4 Pantsirs in the space of a few days.

Two vehicles destroyed in hangars, one when transported on flatbed – none active. Seems like Emirates operators/crews left abandoning their equipment, and locals were not even trying to use this equipment. Anyway, seems like Emirates will ask for new shipment from Russia to compensate losses, as Pantsir is the only battle tested AD vehicle of this type on the market (but it will not be in near future, as UAE got about 50 vehicles delivered from 2000 to 2013).

The Drive has an article on it. Given the distances involved in the fighting over Libya, I find the MiG-29 a rather strange choice.

Lots of developments the last few days in Libya with the LNA and Russian Wagner PMC Troops in full retreat from the Tripoli front lines and Russians being evacuated by airplane from Bani Walid airport to Jufra. The Oryx Twitter account has some footage of the retreat, evacuation, Russian casualties and Turkish vehicles. Supposedly, Russia and Turkey struck a deal to allow Russian mercenaries to retreat without being subject to Turkish drone attacks.

Turkish humour:

ASRHSvu.jpg

Edited by Daan

Its possible, the Belarus Su27's were apparently scrap because they hadnt flown for years. Their Mig29's seemed to be in operable shape.

It will be interesting to see better photos of them to see what model they are. My guess is that they are probably ex Russian ones that they replaced (If memory serves) with Su30's. Which if so, would seem to make it probable that the pilots are as well.

There is another link to the story on The Drive.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/33618/mysterious-mig-29-fighter-appears-at-libyan-air-base-held-by-russian-backed-forces

I had no idea the UAE buy was that big...but clearly useless in the wrong hands. I personally hope I never have to see the Russians use them as intended.

Any SAM is useless when switched off and abandoned. But overall this handfull of Pantsirs proved to be extremely usefull in combination with other assets: now NATO's second strongest country is bogged down in colonial war, moving proxies from Syria to Lybia etc., and UAE&Co are paying the price (rumors are they were peomising USD3bln to Assad for new offencive in Idlib to distract Turkey, but Assad was not allowed to accept this proposal).

Its possible, the Belarus Su27's were apparently scrap because they hadnt flown for years. Their Mig29's seemed to be in operable shape.

It will be interesting to see better photos of them to see what model they are. My guess is that they are probably ex Russian ones that they replaced (If memory serves) with Su30's. Which if so, would seem to make it probable that the pilots are as well.

There is another link to the story on The Drive.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/33618/mysterious-mig-29-fighter-appears-at-libyan-air-base-held-by-russian-backed-forces

No reason to expect so few MIGs to have major influence militarally - but it is invitation for Turkey to deploy own aviation to Lybia, leading to more Turkish involvement.

So the UN supports the GNA, and Turkey,Qatar is siding with them. Russia is siding with the LNA along with UAE and Egypt along with tact support from Trump, France. Italy seem to be remaining neutral. Do I have it right?

So the UN supports the GNA, and Turkey,Qatar is siding with them. Russia is siding with the LNA along with UAE and Egypt along with tact support from Trump, France. Italy seem to be remaining neutral. Do I have it right?

To what extent does the US have any role in this?