China's Peaceful Rise

chino

1 hour ago, Josh said:

So far I don't think the US has done anything unreasonable with regards to China and while the popularity of the CCP is very low here, that is the case in lot of countries in the WestPac as well. China really has itself to blame; since Xi came to power its policies are quite militant and its diplomacy rather caustic.

1. We are talking about yellow scare in the US and this incident proves my point.

2. While China has started to conduct a significantly more muscled diplomacy - it had not surpass the level of the American one, so what's your point here? 

Edited by Strannik

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Strannik said:

1. We are talking about yellow scare in the US and this incident proves my point.

2. While China has started to conduct a significantly more muscled diplomacy - it had not surpass the level of the American one, so what's your point here? 

1). my point is that many Asian and European countries have increasingly negative sentiments towards China, so this not merely an American phenomenon uniquely driven by US media.

2). my other point is that China has gone well out of its way on numerous occasions to punish other countries for even criticizing it (first example that comes to mind: Australia), which is a stance the US by and large avoids. I think the US, while perhaps having a "muscled diplomacy", is simply a lot more polite about its soft power usage than the Wolf Warrior theme Xi has adopted. It hardly takes a genius to realize such a tone is going to be picked up on and magnified by the press.

China's recent lack of popularity is no unique to the US and is a totally avoidable own goal.

Remember Falun Hong?

China banned Falun Gong because it was an insane cult spreading fake news, meddling in politics and attempting to destabilize the state.

The US lambasted China's "lack of religious freedom", welcomed them and funded them as an anti-China instrument.

And now US establishment is starting to realize they're in fact an insane cult spreading fake news, meddling in politics and attempting to destabilize the state 🤦‍♂️🤣

So basically they are a less popular Fox News, probably not even NewsMax or OANN level. Not sure what your point is, other than you are allowed to say what you want in the US and not in China.

8 hours ago, Josh said:

So basically they are a less popular Fox News, probably not even NewsMax or OANN level. Not sure what your point is, other than you are allowed to say what you want in the US and not in China.

My point: FG is no innocent little cult dedicated to some new type of gymnastics and was used as a tool of particular foreign government.  But as a lot lately it goes over your head.

And yes US is at least allows freedom of speech unlike EU and Canada.

Edited by Strannik

2 hours ago, Strannik said:

Remember Falun Hong?

China banned Falun Gong because it was an insane cult spreading fake news, meddling in politics and attempting to destabilize the state.

The US lambasted China's "lack of religious freedom", welcomed them and funded them as an anti-China instrument.

And now US establishment is starting to realize they're in fact an insane cult spreading fake news, meddling in politics and attempting to destabilize the state 🤦‍♂️🤣

Spreading false information? That's like everywhere. 

A cult? And... did what? They murdered anyone? All practioners were equally cult activists? They steal? Terrorists plotting? What exactly did they do?

What's the enrironment, maybe if the CCP was not controlling everything to the extent of preserving the CCP's unchallengeable position.. the things like Falun Gong would also compete with other forms of spritual seeking. How

And what was the result? Ir was stamped out, with 10s if not 100s of thousands of people rounded, locked away, forcibly reeducated, and who knows what else.. like organ harvest supply. 

It is the key example what authoritice power mechansisms is at the disposal of the CCP. And apparantly, the CCP at first supported Falun Gong, it gave them good word. People took care of their health and hygiene, behaved better and feel better, at a time right after the heavy hand and shock of the Tianemein Square massacre abd subsequent tight lockdown. So as it was getting bigger and more popular, then the CCP turned on it, and also apparantly Jiang Zemin used as a means to justify acquiring and exercise total control, solidifying his power in the party. 

There's no way in squeezing out support for the hunt and literal extermination of Falun Gong. It can't be done. It is a prime example of what it means for the old line of "for democracy" gets meaning.

5 hours ago, futon said:

Spreading false information? That's like everywhere. 

A cult? And... did what? They murdered anyone? All practioners were equally cult activists? They steal? Terrorists plotting? What exactly did they do?

What's the enrironment, maybe if the CCP was not controlling everything to the extent of preserving the CCP's unchallengeable position.. the things like Falun Gong would also compete with other forms of spritual seeking. How

And what was the result? Ir was stamped out, with 10s if not 100s of thousands of people rounded, locked away, forcibly reeducated, and who knows what else.. like organ harvest supply. 

It is the key example what authoritice power mechansisms is at the disposal of the CCP. And apparantly, the CCP at first supported Falun Gong, it gave them good word. People took care of their health and hygiene, behaved better and feel better, at a time right after the heavy hand and shock of the Tianemein Square massacre abd subsequent tight lockdown. So as it was getting bigger and more popular, then the CCP turned on it, and also apparantly Jiang Zemin used as a means to justify acquiring and exercise total control, solidifying his power in the party. 

There's no way in squeezing out support for the hunt and literal extermination of Falun Gong. It can't be done. It is a prime example of what it means for the old line of "for democracy" gets meaning.

+1

Forced organ donation is a very real possibility of execution for Falun Gong members. There have been some testimonies coming out of the PRC.

Speaking of the "warrior diplomacy" - US ambo to Japan, infamous Chicago mayor, former WH CoS and personal Obama friend Rahm Emanuel

Imaging saying this when China literally needed to take out all the bombs your country dropped in Laos to build something decent

'Time to set the record straight’: Saudi minister defends China’s lending to developing nations.

“China stepped up when people actually shied away from Africa,”

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/10/13/saudi-minister-defends-chinas-bri-lending-to-developing-nations.html?taid=6528ec75ddbbd60001a46df9&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter|main

He did not say why the PRC stepped up.  The rest of the world got sick of African loans which then defaulted and were written off, curtessy of the huge scams operating within the average government there.

The PRC will not have the same leniency towards defaultiung and the African nations are in for a tougher ride than the rest of the world gave them.

Perhaps then they will have a reason to rid themselves of their scam riddled management/governments.

To Yellow Scare:

Nebraska Gov. Jim Pillen: “...all you got to do is look at the author. The author is from Communist China. What more do you need to know?” Later “I love China but hate CCP.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-america/reporter-shocked-nebraska-governor-dismisses-communist-china-rcna121058

Edited by Strannik

7 minutes ago, Strannik said:

China's yuan has passed the Euro as the world's second-most used currency for SWIFT trade settlements after the US Dollar.

I actually want the link for that. Not saying it isn't true, given the trends, but I'd like to keep track and match it to historical.

9 hours ago, Josh said:

I actually want the link for that. Not saying it isn't true, given the trends, but I'd like to keep track and match it to historical.

Of course, Strannik didn't bother to read the report:

"A number of European central banks are now using camt.xxx reporting messages for liquidity management and
to inform commercial banks of their open credit lines instead of MT 202 payment instruction messages that they
used previously for these notification purposes. This behaviour shift creates a more accurate classification of
financial data going forward, but also has the effect of excluding these previously counted messages from the
RMB tracker data. This new market practice has led to a decrease of EUR by 15% over the past six months
."

https://www.swift.com/swift-resource/252125/download

RMB’s share as an international payment's currency - Excluding payments within Eurozone

USD: 58.41%

EUR: 12.95%

JPY: 5.74%

GBP: 5.44%

CAD: 2.98%

CNY: 2.73%

7 hours ago, RETAC21 said:

Of course, Strannik didn't bother to read the report:

"A number of European central banks are now using camt.xxx reporting messages for liquidity management and
to inform commercial banks of their open credit lines instead of MT 202 payment instruction messages that they
used previously for these notification purposes. This behaviour shift creates a more accurate classification of
financial data going forward, but also has the effect of excluding these previously counted messages from the
RMB tracker data. This new market practice has led to a decrease of EUR by 15% over the past six months
."

https://www.swift.com/swift-resource/252125/download

RMB’s share as an international payment's currency - Excluding payments within Eurozone

USD: 58.41%

EUR: 12.95%

JPY: 5.74%

GBP: 5.44%

CAD: 2.98%

CNY: 2.73%

I grant you (unlike certain folks I freely admit my shortcomings;) that these articles were sensationalistic and did not show full picture.

However your comparison is also don't show full picture - Swift itself is getting irrelevant as more trades are done in  local currency and are executed outside of Swift and therefore the USD and Euro.

Edited by Strannik

4 hours ago, Strannik said:

I grant you (unlike certain folks I freely admit my shortcomings;) that these articles were sensationalistic and did not show full picture.

However your comparison is also don't show full picture - Swift itself is getting irrelevant as more trades are done in  local currency and are executed outside of Swift and therefore the USD and Euro.

I’m willing to bet the overwhelming majority of international transactions still go through SWIFT. The Yuan will never replace the dollar for systemic reasons we have discussed. A BRICS gold based currency seems like the only candidate to replace dollar/euro transactions, outside of countries exchanging commodities or using each other’s local currencies. We are definitely seeing more of that, but there’s a hard ceiling for how far that can go given the inherent inflexibility and volatility of non freely traded currencies. I think Russia is awash with Rupies right now that it has a hard time using.

Edited by Josh

Two ministers and both heads of the PLARF. That’s a little disconcerting. One can’t help wonder if they all fundamentally disagreed with a Xi policy that involves foreign and defense matters centered on the rocket forces.