China's Peaceful Rise

chino

22 hours ago, RETAC21 said:

It would be a brave US ally the one that counts on that nowadays. Maintaining the status quo is the best gameplan for US allies in the region, as they get to trade with both sides, but that also means builidng up to China's Navy, to get respect.

There are Allies and there are allies. I am glad Japan falls in the category of the former.

As far as the latter, I think there is a possibility Washington eventually decides to force China into a no-win decision by playing the Recognize Taiwanese Independence card. Just ask the Kurds...

There is nothing more dangerous than a declining empire.

• Replies 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Nobu said:

As far as the latter, I think there is a possibility Washington eventually decides to force China into a no-win decision by playing the Recognize Taiwanese Independence card. Just ask the Kurds...

If the United States wants to tie itself to a boat anchor and then throw the anchor overboard, what choice would there be for the Chinese but to wait for as long as it takes until the anchor does its job?  Put another way, I doubt Taiwan is going to sail anywhere in the next 20 years, so who in Beijing would give a shit what the US recognizes in the meantime?  The ultimate outcome is going to be the same either way.

Edited by glenn239

On 11/22/2021 at 6:01 AM, glenn239 said:

I've warned around here for 10 years that if the United States gets into it with Russia on the basis of alliance dynamics, that the Russians will go straight at the United States and treat the allies as spectators.   I presume China will quickly come to the same conclusion, that if the heavy weights start exchanging blows the yapping poodles will for the most part stand to the side and do nothing.  The point of alliances is to deliver mutual security, but in a world of hypersonic missiles, there is no security, and alliances that do not offer security look more like a suicide cult the closer the war they were intended to prevent gets.

Our Canadian government just went to Washington for a summit with Biden, and the clowns that run the circus up  here thought that if we were polite and it was not Trump, that things would be like the old days of Obama.  We're still reeling.  We got nothing from Biden, and now we're facing the possibility that the North American free trade agreement is actually a dead letter due to US protectionism.  There is even a State governor, (Michigan) that wants to shut down a key pipeline that would devastate the Canadian economy, and all the White House says is that the White House is not trying to shut the line down.  Yet, I come here and a bunch of war everywhere, please types are constantly telling me that this country is the enemy of Canada and that country is the friend of Canada.  I just shake my head that they are so gullible about how shit actually works on this marble.

The white house wants to shut down all pipelines. Maybe the Canadian gov't can harness all that solar energy in the two months of Canadian summer. The white house says solar is going to power the world economy in the near future.

The US is releasing petroleum from its strategic reserve when there is oodles of oil under us in the US. Go figure. If you pitched this movie to Hollywood they wouldn't go with it as it is unbelievable. Wait til Biden backs out due to health reasons and see what K. Harris does.......

16 hours ago, ex2cav said:

The white house wants to shut down all pipelines. Maybe the Canadian gov't can harness all that solar energy in the two months of Canadian summer. The white house says solar is going to power the world economy in the near future.

I was thinking more along the lines of Canada suspending NORAD.

US inviting Taiwan to 'Summit for Democracy' sparks angry China response

5h ago

President Joe Biden has invited 109 countries to the virtual summit which will take place on December 9 and 10. China said adding Taiwan to the guest list was a "mistake."

China on Wednesday accused the United States of making a "mistake" after President Joe Biden invited Taiwan to its "Summit for Democracy" which is set to take place next month.

More than 100 countries have been invited to the virtual summit, though China is not among them.

And Beijing said it "firmly opposed" the island being on the guest list as it regards Taiwan as "an inalienable part of Chinese territory." China claims self-ruled Taiwan as part of its own territory and has not ruled out the possible use of force to achieve unification.

Zhu Fenglian, spokeswoman for China’s Taiwan Affairs Office, said Beijing opposed "any official interaction between the US and China's Taiwan region."

"This stance is clear and consistent. We urge the US to stick to the 'one China' principle," she said.

Beijing insists, if countries wish to have formal ties with China, that countries subscribe to the "one China" principle and therefore do not have full formal ties with Taiwan. The US, like most of the world, does adhere to this, albeit while simultaneously maintaining close relations with Taipei and not recognizing China's claim to the territory.

Taiwan thanks Biden

Taiwan, meanwhile, expressed its gratitude for the invitation and said the online meeting would be a rare opportunity for the self-ruled democracy to demonstrate its credentials on the world stage.

"Through this summit, Taiwan can share its democratic success story," Presidential Office spokesman Xavier Chang told reporters.

The "Summit for Democracy" was a campaign pledge by President Biden, who has sought to place the struggle between democracies and "autocratic governments" at the heart of his foreign policy. Russia has also not been invited to the inaugural event. 

The online gathering will take place on December 9 and 10, with a second, in-person summit penciled in for next year.

https://m.dw.com/en/us-inviting-taiwan-to-summit-for-democracy-sparks-angry-china-response/a-59915517

On 11/28/2021 at 2:51 PM, Gman said:

God Emperors get to make their own rules, surely ? 

Might makes right? No. Not my point.

If there are agreed upon international norms, those norms work as long as everyone abides by them. If one party (or more) does not play by them, the game changes. Africa used to be the playpen of European powers. When the states received their independence they automatically had the option to go a different way and it shouldn't be expected for things to continue as they were.

I don't see the "Chinese" takeover of the airport as imperialism, that was bad economics on the part of the former owners. Imperialism is more total, and implies forcing your way on the weaker subject. I don't think Chinese troops have landed to force the gov't make concessions as imperialist powers have done in the past. The airport issue, I would argue, could increase Chinese influence and access. Certainly Chinese money will continue to make its way into the Ugandan economy faster now. 

• 1 month later...

https://www.unoosa.org/res/oosadoc/data/documents/2021/aac_105/aac_1051262_0_html/AAC105_1262E.pdf?fbclid=IwAR1Czd46itCQ68Tes0jPRDHVdGE1vP7uMXUYi-qvbbtS8FU4G4cSrqttHsI

"1. The first collision avoidance
As from 19 April 2020, the Starlink-1095 satellite had been travelling stably in orbit at an average altitude of around 555 km. Between 16 May and 24 June 2021, the Starlink-1095 satellite manoeuvred continuously to an orbit of around 382 km, and then stayed in that orbit. A close encounter occurred between the Starlink-1095 satellite and the China Space Station on 1 July 2021.
For safety reasons, the China Space Station took the initiative to conduct an evasive manoeuvre in the evening of that day to avoid a potential collision between the two spacecraft.
2. The second collision avoidance
On 21 October 2021, the Starlink-2305 satellite had a subsequent close encounter with the China Space Station. As the satellite was continuously manoeuvring, the manoeuvre strategy was unknown and orbital errors were hard to be assessed, there was thus a collision risk between the Starlink-2305 satellite and the China Space Station. To ensure the safety and lives of in-orbit astronauts, the China Space Station performed an evasive manoeuvre again on the same day to avoid a potential collision between the two spacecraft".

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, glenn239 said:

Ah yes, the Aravian Sea.  I totally didn't have to google where that is.  I think it might be the Arabian Sea?

Thank you for correcting me, it is Aravian Sea in Russian (from Aravian Peninsula  in Russian) - in English it is Arabian Sea

083c72dae790cec4ca09f9610578a622.jpeg

"The Taiwan problem is the biggest powder keg between China and the United States.
If, you know, the Taiwanese authorities, encouraged by the United States, continue to follow the path of independence, then most likely China and the United States will participate in this. two big countries in a military conflict."

"People on both sides of the Taiwan Strait are Chinese, so we are compatriots. Therefore, the last thing we should do is to fight with our compatriots. And we will sincerely do everything possible to achieve a peaceful reunification… But... ... That the Taiwanese authorities are moving towards independence, encouraged by the United States. Therefore, China will not give up non-peaceful means of reunification, because this is deterrence."

"The actual state is that the Uighurs, like other ethnic groups of people, enjoy a happy life. They enjoy the rights and freedoms guaranteed by the Chinese Constitution. They are members of a large family of the Chinese nation. genocide or forced labor is the biggest lie of the century. There is no genocide at all."

(c) Chinese Ambassador to the United States Qin Gang

Also 

https://www.theepochtimes.com/us-must-expand-the-battlefield-to-win-a-war-against-china-over-taiwan-experts_4238751.html (with audio version)

The United States can win a war against China over Taiwan, analysts say, but it must take steps to expand its efforts in the different domains of economics, warfare, and diplomacy against the Chinese regime.

Peaceful reunification died when the Chinese overturned any semblance of democracy in Hong Kong. The pro China party in Taiwan had its heart ripped out. The Taiwanese need no American encouragement.