tanknet.org

I get the impression China is bullying for the sake of bullying and India is reciprocating. Outside of the minor loss of life, I don't see it functionally different from the shenanigans the PRC is up to in the SCS. They seem determined to burn any potential neutral bridge they can. Push on everyone in every direction because you can. It makes me think Xi is under a lot of pressure either internally (seems doubtful post 'corruption' purge) or else he feels China's expansion has a deadline. What that could be I don't know; I would assume it would have to be either economic decline or social unrest related.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tough to gauge India's domestic cohesion if tested.  It could be that under pressure India as a nation will grow stronger.  It could be that under pressure it will grow weaker and prosecuted minorities backed by China will start causing real trouble.  India's leadership seems to act like they fear the latter more than they hope for the former.

China acts like it has the whip hand and that both sides know it, but it seems not seek anything from India beyond non-interference in its strategic initiatives.  I doubt India believes that inviting Australia and the US to military exercises will cause India's disenfranchised 225 million Muslims to feel less alienated.

China wanted to make a base in Indonesia but was declined.

TAIPEI (Taiwan News) — Indonesian Defense Minister Prabowo Subianto told his Chinese counterpart, Wei Fenghe (魏鳳和), that his country would not accept a request for a Chinese military base in the country, reports said Friday (Sept. 11).

The conversation occurred during a meeting between the two top defense officials in Jakarta on Sept. 8, according to a report by Indonesian publication Kompas. Indonesia occupies a strategic location on the southern edge of the South China Sea and on the main sea route between China and the Indian Ocean, the Middle East, Europe and Africa.

Subianto also excluded the possibility that Indonesia would sign military accords with any other country, a military spokesman said. China would never be allowed to set up a base on Indonesian soil, as the government conducted an active foreign policy based on national freedom, a military spokesman said.

According to a U.S. report about China’s military published Sept. 1, Beijing was looking to expand its reach overseas by opening more bases. Djibouti in the Horn of Africa is one mooted location, but China is considering several other countries, from Sri Lanka and Myanmar, all the way to the Seychelles off the coast of East Africa, CNA reported.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4006820

On 9/10/2020 at 8:34 AM, Josh said:

I get the impression China is bullying for the sake of bullying and India is reciprocating. Outside of the minor loss of life, I don't see it functionally different from the shenanigans the PRC is up to in the SCS. They seem determined to burn any potential neutral bridge they can. Push on everyone in every direction because you can. It makes me think Xi is under a lot of pressure either internally (seems doubtful post 'corruption' purge) or else he feels China's expansion has a deadline. What that could be I don't know; I would assume it would have to be either economic decline or social unrest related.

How is India standing up for itself when faced with aggressive Chinese behavior bullying?  Is this like the way some schools punish both bully and victim?

• 2 weeks later...