Modern Cavalry

This thread reminded me of someone attempting to parachute mules. A quick google search turns up this bit on the Chindits using them, but I thought some unit was trying to put mules into aircraft for the Sicily invasion and gave up, finding it too difficult.

http://spotlights.fold3.com/2012/03/05/mules-in-burma/

Just re-reading "Silent Wings" about US glider ops in WWII they transported the mules by glider and issued a rifle to the co-pilot to shoot any mule that freaked out on the flight.

Which, you know, should have worked out well to calm the other mules jam packed into a tiny glider....

:blink:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about thermal signature?

I would like to see Polish winged hussars back in action, their wings could be used as radio antennas.

Also, Red Army used cavalry to a great extent in Operation Bagration, they could burpass enemy positions over terrain usually considered impassable for mechanised forces. After that, their importance vanished as terrain improved further west.

• 2 months later...

Haflinger horses of the Austrian Jagerbattalions

Goodness sake, dont show sparky. He will want to mount a recoilless rifle on one at least.

Infantrymen can never wrap their walnut sized brains around the concept of 'Cavalry'.

The size of the mount matters not, ye bipedal chattle.

Edited by X-Files

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Actually only grazing limits horses to about (IIRC) 15km/day travel and you will be loosing horses to malnutrition anyway.

• 8 months later...

What about yaks?

Someone has been watching a LITTLE too much Empire Strikes Back. :)

Next thing we will have Llamas

The one L lama, he's a priestThe two L llama, he's a beastAnd I will bet my silk pyjamaThere isn't any three L lllama.                -- O. Nash, to which a fire chief replied that occasionally                his department responded to something like a "three L lllama."

The Russians used horsed cavalry in WW2, particularly in the Pripet marshes region. Then of course one of the three Fronts that Russia moved east in 1945 (precisely meeting their commitment at Yalta) contained the Russian-Mongolian Cavalry Mechanised Army (the southernmost army that attacked eastwards). This mixed horse and tanks. Clearly after 4 years of continuous practice on Germans the Russians realised that horses had a role against the Japanese. Of course the British also used a few horses against Japan, ie in the 3.7 in Pack Howitzer batteries of the Indian Army. Not sure if there were horses in the British mountain batteries in Italy, Of course mules were the primary means of transport for mountain btys.

Afghanistan, Argentina, Australia, Bolivia, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Czechoslovakia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Japan, Lithuania, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Paraguay, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Rumania, Slovakia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Uruguay, USA, had — although did not necessarily use — horsed cavalry in WW2. I probably missed some.