3 Kidnapped Israeli Teenagers Found Executed. Prelude To Big Operation

Rod

Anyone got any hard examples of Hamas citing of military equipment and combatants near otherwise protected structures?

It will very difficult to get independently corroborated photographic evidence because the Palestinians are strictly controlling access and what is photographed.

Edited by DKTanker

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The M494 105mm would arguably be safer to use against militants out in the open where civilians are hiding in concrete buildings. The darts work well against bunched up/hidden infantry in soft cover, but are poor against hard cover (which civilians should be in).

Anyone got any hard examples of Hamas citing of military equipment and combatants near otherwise protected structures?

It will very difficult to get independently corroborated photographic evidence because the Palestinians are strictly controlling access and what is photographed.

Not to mention the majority of the press is partner in arms with the Palestinian cause. How many photoshopped pictures have been caught now coming from the mainstream press in previous clashes? Usually they just manipulate the story the old fashioned way though.

Flights from the US to IL are cancelled due to a rocket hitting a city near Ben-Gurion Airport.

Hopefully it'll keep Kerry away from a while... If he didn't get the message from the Egyptians by now.

Well, there goes Kerry's hopes of saying he went out of the airplane dodging rocket fire....

I'm sorry. I just couldn't resist.

:lol:

Sit behind Iron Dome? An MIT physicist says it only works ~5% of the time, so I wouldn't recommend that. :P If anything 2000 rockets fired and only 2 civilians killed is a testament to the robustness of Israel's civil defense efforts.

Typical Postal. He's been making similar claims about missile defence for years and apparently has not been especially honest about it. He ignores that a large proportion of missiles are not engaged because they aren't going to hit anything important and tries to claim that the ones hit are not really destroyed, even though, with the exception of those two unfortunate people, they don't end up killing anyone on the ground or causing significant damage.

I guess a PhD does not make one immune to being an idiot.
He's welcome to visit and see the stuff falling from the sky after intercepts...

As to the

the general lack of sympathy for civilians from "the other team"

I wonder if you ever heard of the field hospital set up at the Erez crossing to treat palestinians? Have you heard of the appeals the IDF is making to civilian population to evacuate combat zones? Have you seen the videos of airstrikes aborted because of civilians?

If we had no sympathy for them, Gaza would long ago be leveld to the ground and we'd go Roman on them. As it is, Hamas has much less sympathy for it's own people than we have.

Sit behind Iron Dome? An MIT physicist says it only works ~5% of the time, so I wouldn't recommend that. :P If anything 2000 rockets fired and only 2 civilians killed is a testament to the robustness of Israel's civil defense efforts.

Typical Postal. He's been making similar claims about missile defence for years and apparently has not been especially honest about it. He ignores that a large proportion of missiles are not engaged because they aren't going to hit anything important and tries to claim that the ones hit are not really destroyed, even though, with the exception of those two unfortunate people, they don't end up killing anyone on the ground or causing significant damage.

There's definitely something creepy about Postol. He talks about 10-20 lb rocket warheads as no big deal, even when they are raining down by the hundreds.

When I consider that Postol gets on the news only when he is criticizing SDI, Patriot, or Iron Dome, its almost impossible to avoid the conclusion that his beef is with what is being protected by missile defense rather than the technology.

I will gratefully note that even on NPR's web site, most commenters on articles quoting Postol are very critical of Postal's position and methods. We Americans would say that he's jumped the shark. I'm going to speculate that MIT's upper echelons are blissfully ignorant of the damage he is doing to their brand; after all, he's on national TV, radio, and newspapers, right?

The real problem Hamas has is that they can no longer do business after pissing off the Egyptians. They MUST break the blockade no matter how many Gazans it takes. I don't understand why the Pals don't just pack their bags and go to Sinai for a while. Oh wait....the Egyptians hate them.

There's definitely something creepy about Postol. He talks about 10-20 lb rocket warheads as no big deal, even when they are raining down by the hundreds.

When I consider that Postol gets on the news only when he is criticizing SDI, Patriot, or Iron Dome, its almost impossible to avoid the conclusion that his beef is with what is being protected by missile defense rather than the technology.

I will gratefully note that even on NPR's web site, most commenters on articles quoting Postol are very critical of Postal's position and methods. We Americans would say that he's jumped the shark. I'm going to speculate that MIT's upper echelons are blissfully ignorant of the damage he is doing to their brand; after all, he's on national TV, radio, and newspapers, right?

Ah, I see that's the same crew which "proved" the Ghouta chemical attack could not have been perpetrated by Syrian government forces because the rockets could not fly far enough, using much multi-colored all-caps lines and similar telltale signs of the common bullshit artist. Thought so.

The only drawbacks about Iron Dome is:

1. The interceptors are ridiculously expensive (nearly 50,000 USD a piece). And many times two of them are fired at Palestinian rockets

2. They can shoot down Pali rockets with ease, but the Palestinians aren't doing massive salvos of them. The number of rockets the Palestinians fired during this entire conflict, Hezbullah can fire in less than a day

3. It may not be terribly effective against cruise missiles (not too many anti-missile systems are though)

Besides that, it seems like a decent system overall.

The only drawbacks about Iron Dome is:

1. The interceptors are ridiculously expensive (nearly 50,000 USD a piece). And many times two of them are fired at Palestinian rockets

2. They can shoot down Pali rockets with ease, but the Palestinians aren't doing massive salvos of them. The number of rockets the Palestinians fired during this entire conflict, Hezbullah can fire in less than a day

3. It may not be terribly effective against cruise missiles (not too many anti-missile systems are though)

Besides that, it seems like a decent system overall.

Reminds me of the saying, something like- you don't have to run faster than the bull. You just need to run faster than the other guy.

If the IDF/AF can deny the enemy enough time and cover to set up rockets, they won't be able to fire as many.

Ouch. Does the Merk IV not have remote controls for the TC's gun?

Whether or not it does, he wasn't too smart to have his head up for that long in such a close quarter environment. The other TCs don't have their heads up....guess Darwin claimed another.

Forgot to add this one. Some anti-materiel sniper rilfes:

Purported to be a .50 Steyr firing on a Merkava TC

I'd go along with that, it definitely sounded more powerful than a 7.62mm.

And could be obtained from Iran, IIRC there were several cases in Iraq where coalition soldiers were being shot at from HS. 50.