Tanknet Garage And Boathouse

Mr King

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Reminds me of the old joke about a young woman who turned up a Welsh Infantry Regiment's barracks claiming a soldier had begat a child out of wedlock. So they turned out the battalion on parade and the RSM asked the young lady what the miscreants name was.

'Jones' she said.

'Right Jones you 'orrible little man. Step forward at once!'

Of course, fully half the Battalion stepped forwards. :D

Of course an Highland Regiment would have shared the rubber.

Only if the sheep was not on the pill :)

http://money.cnn.com/2014/07/02/autos/dodge-challenger-hellcat/index.html

Chrysler Group is taking muscle cars to steroid-crazed levels with its new V8 engine. The Dodge Challenger SRT with the optional Hellcat engine, available starting in the fall, will put out a total of 707 horsepower.

This will be "the most powerful muscle car ever," according to Chrysler.

The Challenger SRT Hellcat will have an eight speed automatic transmission or a six-speed manual. It will be competing against cars like General Motors (GM)' Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 with its 580 horsepower V8 and the 662 horsepower Ford (F) Shelby GT500 which recently went out of production. A Ford spokesman wouldn't comment on its competitors car, but a new Shelby GT500 with, potentially, more power is expected to be revealed some time soon.

Would love to see them try that on a F150

Not likely to find one in Japan.

My understanding is that it is meant to remove broken down vehicles from traffic and unclog traffic jams, not long distance heavy towing. Probably does its intended job very well.

chinese not japanese i think. The license plate and the car are a giveaway. In Japan is probably no Volkswagen Passat B2 to be found. whereas this model was built (renamed Santana) in China until a few years ago.

Edited by Panzermann

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Most Insane Truck Ever Built and the 4-Year-Old Who Commands It

BY BRIAN RAFTERY 04.07.14 | 6:30 AM

For all the risky adventures Bran Ferren has chased in the past six decades—a list that includes a variety of hazardous undertakings, from traveling through Afghan war zones to working in Hollywood—there was one highly perilous pursuit he never dared take on: parenthood. “Having a family,” Ferren says, “wasn’t a priority.”

[...]

But today Ferren is focused on his most important client: his 4-year-old daughter, Kira, who is just a few yards away, traipsing across the garden with a pal. Several years ago, when Ferren was still in his midfifties—a time when many men are easing into their grandfather phase—his partner of more than 25 years, Robyn Low, told him that if he ever wanted to have a kid, the time was now. Finally having a child became a priority, and in 2009 Kira was born.

[...]

Around the time Kira was born, Ferren had an idea. What if he built an all-new, bigger and better expedition vehicle? No, more than that, what if he made the ultimate adventure truck, the very platonic ideal of such a thing—which he could outfit for a family of three? He started to envision a vehicle that could take Kira nearly anywhere on earth without limitation—a mix of high-powered machinery, bomb-shelter self-sufficiency, and luxe-life accoutrements. It would be a mobile, malleable five-star fortress. It could form the centerpiece of his and Kira’s exploration of the world and be her ride into the future. Before he drew up the first blueprints, he’d given it a name: the KiraVan.

[...]

Now, nearly four years later, it is almost, sorta, kinda finished, and while Ferren won’t divulge the exact budget of the truck, he grants that its total cost is in the millions. If Ferren’s claims are to be believed, when it finally hits the road sometime this year it will be the most elaborate all-terrain vehicle ever built—a six-wheeled terrestrial spaceship capable of traversing nearly any terrain, from mud-swamped roads to rock-covered pathways to small bodies of water. It will be able to travel up to 2,000 miles without resupply and navigate slopes as steep as 45 degrees—an incline that is difficult to walk up.
Then there are the extras, which include Kevlar-reinforced tires, more than a dozen interlocking communication systems, and a diesel-powered motorcycle “dinghy.” Add to that the KiraVan’s massive trailer, which is 31 feet long and more than 10 feet high and houses an ecofriendly bathroom, a custom-designed upscale kitchen, and Kira’s own “penthouse” loft (which she herself helped design). The only thing missing is a built-in espresso machine. A countertop one will have to do.
[...]
Ferren leaves the chair for now and gives me a tour of the vehicle, starting with the front cab. Like his MaxiMog, the KiraVan is adapted from a Mercedes-Benz Unimog. Ferren and his team have gutted most of the original equipment, leaving only the steering wheel and a few smaller components. Among their numerous additions are a series of custom-made, overhead- and dash-mounted touchscreen cockpit displays, which monitor the vehicle’s health and navigational progress; a joystick-operated situational-awareness system, which allows passengers to see the view from any one of the vehicles’ 22 cameras and provides infrared thermal imagery of the road’s temperature; and an emergency-beacon locator-transmitter, which goes off automatically in case of an accident—if, say, the vehicle flips over. (With his radio direction-finder subsystem, Ferren can also track nearby vehicles that might be in trouble.)
There’s more: A joystick for the truck’s hydro-drive system, for switching from four-wheel drive to six-wheel drive. Passenger-side display units that allow riders to monitor everything from tire air pressure to battery problems. And a communications system that turns the vehicle into a mobile command base and allows Ferren to communicate and coordinate with nearby aircraft. “It’s basically as if we’re an airplane, just stuck to the ground,” he says. Every form of communication imaginable is on the truck—from walkie-talkies to UHF radios to high-powered GPS systems. “I always want to know where I am,” Ferren says. The KiraVan can send emails from under a triple-canopy rain forest.
We step out of the cab and examine the chassis. He’d originally wanted to import a newer, extra-strength chassis from Europe, but when that proved to be a bureaucratic nightmare he decided to modify the existing model, which he lengthened and doubled for more reinforcement—a process that took months. Affixed to the chassis are two fuel tanks—from the front seat, Ferren can transfer fuel back and forth between them, in case one is damaged or to address balance issues—as well as the truck’s suspension system. (Ferren removed the original coilspring-and-shock-absorber setup and replaced it with a nitrogen-hydraulic system in hopes that it will provide a more stable ride.)
We move on to the trailer, which at the moment sits toward the back of the garage. Walking through a swing-out door, I find myself in a bathroom with a sink, shower area, and retractable toilet (there’s no sewage system; instead, waste is incinerated—”reduced to an inert ash,” Ferren says—that can be disposed during stops).
Much of the trailer is still under construction, but there’s already a wall of kitchen equipment, including a convection oven, a microwave, and an induction-cooktop stove. Fully stocked, Ferren says, the kitchen will be able to sustain a family of three for two to three weeks; if some of the onboard gear were to be removed and replaced with extra food, it could go as long as six weeks.
We exit and walk to the back of the trailer, where Ferren plans to mount a diesel-powered motorcycle. He searched forever for the right bike—at one point, he tested a model used by the Marines—eventually tracking down a Dutch motorcycle he could import. The KiraBike might seem like a luxury add-on, but in fact it’s proof of just how much preemptive worrying Ferren has done when it comes to safety. “I think of it as a dinghy,” he says. “If I want to run into town, I don’t want to take 51,700 pounds of expedition vehicle to get milk and eggs.” And in case of emergency it could also be used to transport a passenger to medical care. “I have a little girl,” Ferren explains. “I would like her to see the wonders of this world. But I’d like her to survive the experience.”
[...]

http://www.wired.com/2014/04/worlds-biggest-rv/