The Witcher 3

Skywalkre

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only put about half an hour into it but the first thing that practically slapped me in the face was how every character felt like a real person and not a bland generic fantasy cookie-cutter stereotype*.

* looking at you, Skyrim

No arrows in knees? :o

Great, Steam summer sale starts june 23.... W3 will probably at some point be even lower than half off... oh well. I might pick up the DLC if it's super cheap.

I bought a buddy Darksouls 3, and he gifted me the Witcher 3 yesterday. Plan to download all 30 or so gigs of it tonight while I sleep. Then hope my aging video card does not burst into flame when I try to run the game.

I bought a buddy Darksouls 3, and he gifted me the Witcher 3 yesterday. Plan to download all 30 or so gigs of it tonight while I sleep. Then hope my aging video card does not burst into flame when I try to run the game.

If you have only baseen game, then I would recommend you to get Hearts of Stone. It really, REALLY worth it.

I read some reviews that said basically Heart of Stone is "more of the same" and there is already a LOT of Witcher 3. I'm waiting for the Steam summer sale, probably will be able to get a good deal on the DLC.

Basically did nothing but Witcher 3 this long weekend. I'm 2/3rds through Act I, lvl 19, cause I do all the side quests (so I think the leveling system wasn't very well thought out). I play on low difficulty cause combat isn't something amazing (90% of it is good dodge timing) and I really only care about the stories. And the stories are very adult, not just because there's a lot of cursing, but because they deal with adult problems and the characters behave like adults. I keep getting surprised by little details and nuances, there's clearly been put a lot of thought behind the characters and interactions. Overall incredible experience.

Playing the Witcher 3 over the weekend led to my elderly pc dying for good. Just got done ordering parts to build new one. New one will be able to play Witcher 3 on max graphical settings. I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.

4GHz i7 (oldish but new ones aren't MUCH faster), 16GB ram, 970GTX, no problem running 1920x1200 at max graphics.

That's my build except I am going with a I5 on a board that I can upgrade plug and play an I7 later on.

It is. Although my 200+ mod Skyrim doesn't look much worse (in some ways - better, though that might be because I have customized the looks to match my preferences).

I started the Witcher books and since I'm kinda sick I've paused my W3 game. I thought the game was inspired by the books but it turns out that it follows them very closely and if you read them suddenly you learn a LOT about the world and the characters (it seems most characters come straight from the books). Suddenly there's a ton of backstory to Ciri and Yenniffer etc. I wish I read them before I started the game.

I've finished the books. A lot of rushed reading. Really worth it. But now I'm going to have to restart the games from the beginning as I've missed a lot of references and ignored a lot of things that just don't make sense if you aren't familiar with the story. It's just not the same experience.

• 1 month later...

Soo I restarted Witcher 3... and am spending most of my in-game time playing Gwent :D first time around I completely ignored the game but it's addictive.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally finished it... and only because I decided to finish it before I leave on vacation, so at one point I stopped doing side quests and finished the main.

To my huge disappointment I got the BAD ending... completely unexpectedly because I thought I did everything right and was very supportive (before I finished it I had no idea what choices lead to what endings). Then I read the FAQs and realized I made one rushed bad choice which I had no idea it mattered that much, and that was enough. I will fault the game that the short few words describing each timed choice sometimes are so unclear you have no idea what your choice means until the cutscene plays through. Still at the end of the day I think they handled the "meaningful choice" thing a lot better than say Mass Effect where things are just blatantly gamey and fundamentally cosmetic.

Also I wish they did a little more work so you can continue after the actual ending. All that's required is changing some flags and soldiers here and there and maybe a few more lines for the main characters.

Anyway I'll redo the last couple hours to see the best ending (since I'm literally one different choice away from it) and I guess leave the DLC for after I come back from vacation.

Spare yourself the vacation and play the Blood & Wine DLC. It is like a vacation in southern France. Good weather, sunshine. Makes you realize how kneedeep in the mud and stormy and rain lots of rain the rest of the game is. Saves money too! :D ;)

Anybody playing on a higher difficulty? I think I'm playing on "normal" and Eredin is a cakewalk. Might switch to Deathmarch for the DLC.

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody playing on a higher difficulty? I think I'm playing on "normal" and Eredin is a cakewalk. Might switch to Deathmarch for the DLC.

You think so? I have problems getting those riposte counter attacks. My timing sucks hard. :(

If you ever, EVER have problems in Witcher 3 - up signs. They are op as fuck.

• 2 weeks later...

You think so? I have problems getting those riposte counter attacks. My timing sucks hard. :(

If you ever, EVER have problems in Witcher 3 - up signs. They are op as fuck.

yes they are very strong mojo. Often feeling too strong to me. But I want to use my silver sword to poke monsters!