The Unnoticed Immigrant Food

Murph

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just for a month, then went to the coast at Cumana via Guyana City and wandered around,then to Merida (I liked it) Where I got caught by the national airline going bankrupt and the bus system going on strike. 12 of us hired Por Pesta's to take us to Caracas. That was quite the 24hr adventure! Spent almost no time in the Capital.

The country made me sad, it has so much potential and so much going for it, it could be a real powerhouse, rather than a circus. Corruption had such a tight stranglehold on the country. When Chavez took over I thought, maybe he can do better, I was so very, very wrong.

Caracas was an awesome place to visit if you had locals to take you out and guide you. Not a pretty town, but lots of stuff to do. Now it is not worth going if they paid you.

Merida and the Andes in general are awesome. My favorite region by far. Great people, food and views.

What you said reflects the self image of Venezuelans: if it weren't for the corruption it would be an awesome country. Sadly the reality is that Venezuelan society is rotten to the core. All institutions are broken and even if you took the chavistas away overnight, it would take a couple generations to rebuild.

There is still some awesome food if you know where to get it.

• 1 month later...

Recently, on mini-vacation in Montenegro, I have seen some hippy shit (UK I would say, mid-20s) scream on top of his lungs on the stuff how his vegetarian meal was prepared in same kitchen as meat products... :wacko:

Edited by bojan

• 2 weeks later...

Must.Have.Indian.Food.... Ok, going back to Bombay Hall for lunch. I took the girls for lunch and supper, and the result was predictable. Victoria turned her nose up at everything except the Tandoori chicken, and the salad. Refused to eat anything else, and not much of that, ended up getting her something later so she had some food. Sarah, on the other hand, dove in, and afterwards complained that she was "soooo full". She practically wallowed in the fresh, hot Naan bread. She loved the rice, Chicken Vindaloo, meatballs, and pakoras. She keeps wanting to go back, Victoria would rather eat at Sonic or Whataburger.... She said that the chicken tastes like Lupe's Chicken guisado, and cannot eat enough of it (for Sarah). I must remember to try the mango lassi today. I was not suprised at Victoria, she is ultra-picky about food, and after the concussion has really been funny about food and tastes.

Whoa! What is that thing? It looks like the burrito that ate Chicago! Just got back from Bombay Hall, and I am almost overwhelmed with great food. The chicken tika massala was amazing, as was everything else. I need a nap, a long one....

dosa, the other Indian food

• 2 weeks later...

Check out some recipes for some of the more common Indian style sauces - you'll be surprised how they are often made with stuff that it actually good for you and not particularly fattening.

The "creaminess" comes from slow reduction of a tomato sauce (skinned, de-seeded) with cumin and coriander, which act as thickeners.

Don't despair! Not everything that looks like it has a million calories does. Just control the portion sizes and don't have rice *and* naan.

Found a Caribbean ethnic grocery store purely by happenstance today. I have wanted to try Caribbean, specifically Jamaican, for quite some time now. Browsed the nice ladies selection, and came home with some hot Jamaican yellow curry powder. For lunch I usually eat a bowl of homemade Cincinnati style chili, and I like to throw a spoon full of Madras yellow curry powder in it when I heat it up. The Jamaican style yellow curry made a really nice change up, and added a nice tinge of heat.

Edited by Mr King

I have made a command decision that tomorrows delectation is going to be Thai food. Or if I change my mind, back to the Indian place. Or Korean. Darn, not enough money or time for all the meals I want to eat. Saturday is going to be me, and the kids (Lupe is visiting her sister) at City Market in Luling, TX for the best BBQ in Texas.

http://www.southernliving.com/travel/the-souths-best-bbq/city-market-bbq-luling-texas

http://www.texasmonthly.com/story/luling-city-market

There's an Argentinian place that I've been wanting to go to here in NOLA.

I would love to go to try a Argentinian restaurant, and a Brazilian steak house. I have heard they can be quite good.

I was thinking, maybe my calling in life is to move abroad, and bring down home American cooking to the godless heathens of the world.

r1Lk1Aq.jpg

Turns out Japanese ramen places are the up and coming thing in Chicago. Two of the best in the area are literally right down the street from my house. The one I prefer is a legit Japanese franchise, their US locations are Silicon Valley, LA, NYC and now, Mt Prospect, IL(???)

http://www.yelp.com/biz/ramen-misoya-mount-prospect

It seems this area has the greatest concentration of Japanese east of the Mississippi or something. Which is cool, the risk of getting ginsu'd into human sushi certainly keeps the local shitheads in check. S/F.....Ken M

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Bremen is not really blessed with lots of exotic eatin' places, but there is that small Nigerian restaurant, Christy's. Now, I am not really a conoisseur of African cuisine (or any particular cuisine, for that matter), but I have tried everything on Christy's menu by now and she simply fails to disappoint.

Specialty are dishes with pounded yam (duh) such as Egusi, Oha or Ogbono, which are main dish eaten like fingerfood (you might still want to pre-cut the meat into smaller chunks, though). Chunk off some yam, knead it in your hand, dunk it into the hot sauce, then into the actual sauce that has the meat and the vegs, off into your mouth it goes. Extremely intense scent, and very spicy (mostly). Have Guinness with it. Heavenly.

Heavy at first, but that "loaded" feeling in the stomach doesn't last very long.

Not really expensive, either.

Edited by Blunt Eversmoke

Heavy slavic cooking is good

Filled dumplings FTW!

The Chinese might have invented them, but Slavs definitely have most variation here. Russian pelmeni, cooked or fried (lots of different meats and meat mixes; also, pickled cabbage & fried mushrooms), Ukrainian vareniki, cooked (cherry or plum, served with honey - THIS is paradise!; cottage cheese, served with sour cream), Polish pierogi (dunno for sure, never made any myself, but they sure tasted differently from the Russian meat dumplings or Ukrainian cottage cheese dumplings). And that's only what I ran across so far...

• 2 months later...