Bachelor Cooking

Ivanhoe

Here's something I just ate which is the kind of thing that bachelors are more likely to have.

I baked a family pack of chicken thighs in the oven, for use the rest of the week. When they were cooked, I pulled the skins off of 3 thighs and broiled the skins in the toaster oven, seasoned with McCormick's "Rotisserie Chicken Seasoning";

No photo of the finished product is available, because the skins only lasted about 120 seconds. The way I like chicken and turkey skin is for almost all of the fat to be broiled off, and the remaining skins to be at the ragged edge between chewy and crisp. Note that the above pic is apparently of the previous labeling, the new label looks like this;

generally I'm a fan of McCormick's seasonings, but this particular style is a bit too salty for my tastes.

I did chili peanut butter chicken thing.

Cook some pasta, sauté some chicken breast in olive oil with a quarter onion diced, add some soy sauce towards the end. Add peanut butter, some Thai chili paste, some siracha and the chicken(cut up a little) to the pasta. Deglaze the pan with white wine, reduce, add to pasta. Add some chopped green onions, cilantro, and/or parsley to the mix. Eat.

You can use all manner of noodles instead or pasta. Or rice for that matter. I did asparagus risotto yesterday, so no rice today. S/F....Ken M

I was given a small rice cooker, that was a godsend as it made great rice all the time, also I used a slow cooker quite a bit.

I tend to make stuff in large batches to eat throughout the week. A decent sized slow cooker, and a large restaurant quality heavy bottomed stock pot have served me well. My buddy that is rooming with me at the moment gets almost daily use out of my rice cooker / steamer. In the warmer months I like to break out the charcoal grill and play around with it. Though unless I am cooking a large batch of meat, it is kind of a waste for one person.

I try to cook basic meat once or twice a week. Chicken I get in the family packs, pork tenderlion in the plastic tube packaging. Cooked it'll last days. I can then saute up some veggies and throw in the precooked meat, hit it with spices, done. A primary feature is that its one-pot or one-skillet meals.

Soup & chili in the winter are good for "cook once, eat all week" mode. About a month ago I had bought a big bag of frozen flounder, which really didn't work for my normal saute rotation (too watery). So I made some fish stew, similar to bouillabaise but with non-Cajun seasoning.

With hot weather coming (supposedly; considering this winter, I still have my doubts), at some point I'll resume eating salad. Of late I've really enjoyed making tossed salads with romaine lettuce and some re-sauteed chicken in Cajun spices. Putting hot chicken chunks on a bland lettuce like Romaine really brings out the flavor of the lettuce. Salad dressings that seem to go well with Cajun flavoring are bacon-ranch and bleu cheese, and some of the blander olive oil/Italian. Main thing is I want a lot of veggies in my salad; fresh tomatoes, shredded carrots, cucumber slices, etc. One cutting board, one knife, one saucepan, one bowl, one fork.

• 1 month later...

When I was lazy, ramen noodles, toss the packet of crap MSG away, throw in frozen vegs, can of tuna and some of that thai curry paste, let in boil for 2 minutes, spice to taste and your done.

• 2 years later...

Threw something together last night on a whim that turned out rather great. Chopped 3 bratwursts into bite size pieces, chopped up one large zucchini, few cloves of fresh garlic, and a bunch of mushrooms. Oiled a hot pan, and threw in a half a stick of butter. Then I tossed in all my ingredients, and seasoned with kosher salt, extra hot red pepper powder, and black pepper to taste. I fried it up till the brats were starting to get a little char on the casings. Probably best meal I have cooked in a long time. I want to try it with Italian sausage and see how it comes out.

I just eat sandwiches. *shrugs*

Yeah, I had fallen off my low carb diet for about 6 months, and was mainly living off of PB&J's which I love. You cant beat extra crunchy peanut butter and grape jelly. Then I decided to go back to cutting carbs, and getting a tasty meal that tastes different from your other meals becomes a bit more of a challenge when you cut most carbohydrates out of the equation If I had not been cutting carbs I would have added some heavy cream, Parmesan cheese, and pasta to my above mentioned dish.

Edited by Mr King

• 2 weeks later...

Here's something I just ate which is the kind of thing that bachelors are more likely to have.

I baked a family pack of chicken thighs in the oven, for use the rest of the week. When they were cooked, I pulled the skins off of 3 thighs and broiled the skins in the toaster oven, seasoned with McCormick's "Rotisserie Chicken Seasoning";

No photo of the finished product is available, because the skins only lasted about 120 seconds. The way I like chicken and turkey skin is for almost all of the fat to be broiled off, and the remaining skins to be at the ragged edge between chewy and crisp. Note that the above pic is apparently of the previous labeling, the new label looks like this;

generally I'm a fan of McCormick's seasonings, but this particular style is a bit too salty for my tastes.

Hi...

Glad you are a fan of Mccormick products.

As a long time employee of the company, I urge you to buy more of their products.

I am well acquainted with the QC department and the procedures that they employ to ensure quality and cleanliness in the manufacturing and packaging process. My family pretty much uses McCormick products exclusively.

The preceding was an uncompensated plea for completely selfish reasons, ie, I need the company to remain profitable so I can continue my "extravagant" lifestyle which is wholly funded by the salary they pay me.

• 2 weeks later...

Late last night I did a quick "fourth meal" using cubed chicken thigh and diced zucchini. Sauce was mirin with McCormick's Sweet Onion and Herb spice mix;

715HGxAdCEL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

BTW Mr. J, your website just plain sucks. Firefox can't make any sense out of it, I had to go to Amazon to find a pic of the above product. This is not a trivial thing, because those of us who live in blighted, backwards locations have to mail-order some stuff. I only know about the above because I used to live in a modern, civilized locale and had a broad selection of spices at every supermarket.

• 2 weeks later...

Bachelor's salad for hot summer days when you can't stomach heavy stuff but still want some meat taste.

Chinese cabbage and tomatoes (preferredly smaller ones) in about equal weight, cabanossi about one fourth total weight.

Optionally (because the salad tastes almost just as fine without): some onion if dragon's breath is no problem (and for some vitamine C), a squirt or ten of sriracha.

Cut the cabanossi as fine as you can be arsed to, cut Chinese cabbage into long stripes, cut the tomatoes (and onion, if any) to your preferred size. Add sriracha if desired. Mix. Let it pull (or don't).

Done. See if you can NOT eat the whole bowl in one go :)

I remember when I was a dirt-poor early-20s bachelor, I'd buy a pack of generic mac 'n cheese, dump in a shit-ton of onions and garlic, pour in hot sauce, and wash it down with a couple of PBR tallboys. Cheap as hell, but probably explains why I was single for a few years.

• 5 weeks later...

I remember when I was a dirt-poor early-20s bachelor, I'd buy a pack of generic mac 'n cheese, dump in a shit-ton of onions and garlic, pour in hot sauce, and wash it down with a couple of PBR tallboys. Cheap as hell, but probably explains why I was single for a few years.

I was banned from kitchen by my wife when she discovered concoctions I was making... :D

LaRue's Dillo Dust is pretty good on steak too. A new york strip steak, dusted with that, boil some water for steaming some green vegetables and it's decent for both filling and a bit of greens for balanced diet.

maxresdefault.jpg

When the wife moved in she cleared out the spice cabinet and tossed a container of it away thinking it was too old (some of the spices were). After I ordered a new Larue mount it came in the box with the other swag... she tried it on a lark on steaks one night. She liked it, a LOT. She then lamented throwing the bottle I had in the cabinet away and tried to order more (they don't sell it separately, and it's only given away as swag with orders. Thus I now have some level of clearance to buy more Larue stuff for guns because their dillo dust is so good.