tanknet.org

Cold War, The Reimagined Series

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A JMSDF naval vessel entered the Arctic Ocean for the first time in early September. The ship was the trainer JS Kashima with a crew of 310 personnel.

It carried out flag signal communication training with the US Coast Guard before entering the Bering Strait. Immediately aftetwards, it proceeded through the strait and passed north of the Arctic Circle (66 degrees, 33 minutes) and navigated within for 30 hours.

https://mainichi.jp/articles/20201121/ddm/005/010/087000c

Edited by JasonJ

Plus fragmentation mines in the nearby treetops with thin wire connected to fallen trees, so any movement of those makes overhead fragmentation that will wound/kill any exposed crew. IOW above pic of the tank with open hatches just going through is a dog and pony show, not any sort of the realistic training.

The Chinese in the Korean war used to tie a mine or an explosive device to the end of a piece of wood, and put it in the tracks. Immobilized a few Centurions that way.

Thanks for that BD1, thats really interesting. This is presumably what they designed the IMR for?

I found a couple of US Army publications online, presumably based on German documents and information, demonstrating how bad the mobility was in Eastern Europe. I keep meaning to link those up.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith

Russia chases off U.S. warship in row over waters in Sea of Japan

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Russia said on Tuesday one of its warships caught and chased off a U.S. destroyer operating illegally in its territorial waters in the Sea of Japan, but the U.S. Navy denied wrongdoing by its vessel and accused Moscow of making excessive maritime claims.

4 hours ago, glenn239 said:

Rumour that Algeria might be the first SU-57 export customer.  Unconfirmed,

Algeria may have acquired 14 Sukhoi Su-57 fighters, according to rumors - Airway (airway1.com)

Seems unlikely they would export something that high tech, particularly when they have about two production examples of their own so far.

They are hardly unique in that regard. I don’t see the Russians opening any production slots for foreign buys until their first contract is met, unless someone pays an exorbitant amount. The Greeks are running into the same problem and uniquely are suggesting they would accept used USAF examples. I for one think it’s a great idea to hock some of the less well put together early models and spit in the Sultan’s eye, but I expect the USAF doesn’t feel that way. They apparently are ready to form aggressor squadrons (in addition to training squadrons) out of the early batches. The USN is doing the same with Blk1 superbugs; no upgrades and relegated to training. Blk2 apparently will all be upgraded to blk3.