Latest Littoral Combat Ship News-- Navy Reconsidering

Jimmy Carter was a submariner (and he was possibly one of the only friends Rickover had), and he got peace between Egypt and Israel that lasted. Thats worth of some honour, but like I say, naming warships after politicians is a dead end idea. And bizarrely fractured for that matter, in that there hasnt been one named after FDR since the 1980's. They name them after spectacularly brief Presidents like JFK twice, and fail to honor the man who won a world war on three fronts at the same time. Who has done that since?

Edited by Stuart Galbraith
  • Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Iron lady knicknamed Iron Draws. Pitt would be called The Pitts. No problem with them naming them after Monarchs, KGV was a very good Battleship.

I like the RN's naming convention. For all the problems they have, at least they dont go out the way to make themselves sound like twats.

I rather got the impression GVRI thought Pitt would be rhymed with shit.

Jimmy Carter was a submariner (and he was possibly one of the only friends Rickover had), and he got peace between Egypt and Israel that lasted. Thats worth of some honour, but like I say, naming warships after politicians is a dead end idea. And bizarrely fractured for that matter, in that there hasnt been one named after FDR since the 1980's. They name them after spectacularly brief Presidents like JFK twice, and fail to honor the man who won a world war on three fronts at the same time. Who has done that since?

Begin and Sadat deserve all the credit there. Any US president could and would have acted as a go between. The best thing about Carter's sub is that being a Specops platform, it will get no media attention.

Begin and Sadat deserve all the credit there. Any US president could and would have acted as a go between. The best thing about Carter's sub is that being a Specops platform, it will get no media attention.

Its not quite that simple. IIRC, during the negotiations at Camp David, one side (The Egyptians I think) were about to walk out, and Carter had the door locked until they sat down and got a deal. I hope he got a portaloo in. :)

Well yes, there is that. :D

Pitt the shit. Yeah, you probably have something there. :D

Churchill grimped that the idea was unworthy of a king, but George had been a career Navy officer for many years until his older brother died so had a good idea of how sailors thought.

Thanks, I was trying to figure that one out. :D

Probably the only USN vessel named for a remark by a president (FDR).

The U.S. built over 100 aircraft carriers of various sizes during WW2, so I would bet they where running out of traditional carrier names for those being built.