Latest Littoral Combat Ship News-- Navy Reconsidering

shep854

http://www.dodbuzz.com/2014/03/07/navy-starts-study-to-re-examine-lcs-mission/

Navy Starts Study to Re-Examine LCS Mission

Somebody is starting to think...

"The current study is beginning to look at a range of options, including adding more armament and weaponry to the LCS, or designing a new platform able to accommodate more armor, weapons and vertical launch tubes for missiles, service officials said."

"Hagel questioned whether the existing LCS is survivable enough for combat."

Edited by shep854

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"The current study is beginning to look at a range of options, including adding more armament and weaponry to the LCS, or designing a new platform able to accommodate more armor, weapons and vertical launch tubes for missiles, service officials said."

I have to admit I didn't keep on this new class of ship, after visiting wiki I'm left wondering why the USN didn't just buy Coast Guard cutters.

Well, take the monohull version, weld in a fuselage plug to extend waterline to 500+ ft, upgun to 5", add some SLCMs in VLS, a couple of Sea Whizz mounts, maybe a helo hanger aft, a nice towed sonar set, and you'd really have something.

I have to admit I didn't keep on this new class of ship, after visiting wiki I'm left wondering why the USN didn't just buy Coast Guard cutters.

Agreed. Especially since the cutters will have better endurance and seakeeping ability, which is actually useful for long patrols along austere coasts. One of the best platforms is the Dutch Absalon-class support ship, as E5M noted in an earlier thread.

As one Navy thinks about this role, so do two others:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_Australian_offshore_combatant_vessel

The RAN is also observing the development of the United States Navy Littoral Combat Ships, in order to take advantage of lessons learned during the program.

I hope their #1 lesson learned is to watch what the USN does, and do the opposite.

• 3 weeks later...
In less than two months, the Navy will send the first of its newest class of fighting ships on its first major deployment overseas. Problem is, according to the Pentagon’s chief weapons tester, the Navy will be deploying the USS Freedom before knowing if the so-called Littoral Combat Ship can survive, um, combat. And what the Navy does know about the ship isn’t encouraging: Among other problems, its guns don’t work right.

http://www.wired.com/2013/01/littoral-combat-ship/

I wounder what they are thinking... yes a Arleigh Burke can do "boring" work as rutine patrol, like check up suspected merchant, confirm that there are no mines in the water, help in distress at sea. etc but it is a waste of money... thats is why you need a corvette, but the whole point of the corvette disapear if the cost of the corvette is in the same range as a Arleigh Burke.

What the Navy have done is like if the police have order a apache helicopter and pay loots of $$$ to have it to be supersonic and they use it for traffic monitoring. I am sure the apache helicopter can do it well, but so can a cheaper helicopter to,

Edited by a77

I don't understand why NavSea didn't appreciate the vibration at high speeds. The Ashville class PGMs of the Vietnam and 1970s service did 45 knots and had the 3"/50 mount forward. The later hydrofoil PGH/PHM carried the OTO 76mm autocannon and one prototype even carried a Sheridan turret for testing (USS Flagstaff/1971). The Israeli gunboats and those of the RN, West German and Scandinavian navies also carried various kinds of autocannon a high speeds. The USN downsized to the Cyclone class PCs, a Thorneycroft design of 35 kts with only 20mm autocannon.

Does anybody do real trials, or are the systems so complex that the trial is for the platform and the systems are to be added whenever they are ready? Seems to be similar problems for the P-8 maritime patrol plane.

Edited by Ken Estes

"Multi-mission" really means not really good at anything, cost to much and no clear idea why we built the dam thing in the first place!

Cylclones have 25mm cannon. Usually one in an unstabilised mounting forward (Mk 38 Mod 0 or perhaps Mod 1) forward and a stabilised mounting aft with a coaxial 40mm GL (Mk 96 Mod 0) aft.

More

http://breakingdefense.com/2014/04/sleepless-in-singapore-lcs-is-undermanned-overworked-says-gao/

But according to GAO, LCS sailors are getting literally tired of the ship: They averaged about six hours of sleep per day, 25 percent below the Navy’s eight-hour standard, and key personnel such as engineers got even less. That’s in spite of

• extensive reliance on contractors both aboard and ashore, with a “rigid” schedule of monthly returns to Singapore that restricted how far from port the LCS could sail;
  • the decision to increase Freedom‘s core crew by 25 percent, from 40 to 50 — the maximum the ship can accommodate without a “significant” redesign; and
  • the 19-sailor “mission module” crew, who are supposed to operate LCS’s weapons, helicopters, and small boats, pitching in daily to help the core crew run the ship’s basic systems.