Hmcs Protecteur Is Adrift

A Canadian supply ship has had a fire aboard in the middle of nowhere in the Pacific. The fire is reportedly out but some crewmen are injured. A USN ship is en route to give aid.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/02/28/canadian-navy-ship-adrift-in-heavy-seas-off-hawaii-with-more-than-300-people-on-board-after-engine-room-fire/

VANCOUVER — A Canadian navy ship with more than 300 people on board is adrift in the Pacific Ocean in heavy seas after a fire in the engine room.

HMCS Protecteur was returning to its home port of Esquimalt, British Columbia when the blaze broke out Thursday night.

Several crew members aboard the 44-year-old supply ship suffered minor injuries from the fire. Sailors put out the flames, the Department of National Defence said Friday morning.

HMCS Protecteur is currently 630 kilometres northeast of Pearl Harbor and has limited power.

Could the LCP that appear to be carried be able to provide any stearage way until a heavier vessel gets close enough to tow? I am not talking about moving the ship any distance, but just keeping her heading into any seas / winds?

Anyway, is 630 kilometres northeast or Pearl Harbor that far? I mean that is 20 hours at 20 knots and there must be some naval / merchant vessel within 10 hours steaming.

Of course what about those Iranian ships that were due to visit the Great Satan?

Could the LCP that appear to be carried be able to provide any stearage way until a heavier vessel gets close enough to tow? I am not talking about moving the ship any distance, but just keeping her heading into any seas / winds?

Anyway, is 630 kilometres northeast or Pearl Harbor that far? I mean that is 20 hours at 20 knots and there must be some naval / merchant vessel within 10 hours steaming.

Of course what about those Iranian ships that were due to visit the Great Satan?

Didn't the Japanese take a northern route to Pearl Harbor because that was off the beaten track for merchant vessels?

Didn't the Japanese take a northern route to Pearl Harbor because that was off the beaten track for merchant vessels?

Which is the probable course of the Iranian Armada

That was before America started buying Toyotas and shopping at Walmart

shane

The situation is worse than first reports indicated. She is now under tow in not-ideal seas.

http://www.news.odin.tc/index.php?page=view/article/1272/HMCS-Protecteur-to-be-towed-to-Hawaii

Posted on March 2, 2014, 8:58 pm

Canadian Navy supply tanker HMCS Protecteur suffered more serious damages from the fire in engine room, than it was originally reported. As of Mar 2 tanker was dead in water some 340 nautical miles northeast of Hawaii, waiting for towage. Tanker is to be towed to Hawaii by the cruiser USS Chosin and a U.S. Navy tug. Meanwhile, USS Chosin delivered fresh supplies to Protecteur on Mar 1, and destroyer USS Michael Murphy helped transfer family members from Protecteur. There were nearly 300 people onboard, including 17 family members of the crew. Towage is hampered by heavy seas.
First news:
HMCS Protecteur engine room fire
March 1
Royal Canadian Navy said in a press release, that HMCS Protecteur, replenishment Navy tanker, is under way with limited power after fire on board. Fire broke out in engine room at around 1020 Pacific Standart Time Feb 28, and was extinguished by the crew, with several crew members suffering some injures. The ship is heading for Pearl Harbor now, currently some 350 nautical miles away.
HMCS Protecteur (AOR 509) is the lead ship of the Protecteur-class replenishment oilers in service with the Royal Canadian Navy. Built 1968, displacement 24700 tons, speed 20 knots, 365 officers and crew, including air personnel, 3 helicopters.

Likely taken earlier. The Sea state may have changed, causing the towline to break, in which case they may have decided to wait till the salvage tug was there to put a line onto it. Nothing like being on a dead ship/vessel beam to the sea. Watched the sister to the Exxon Valdez dead in the water, that was amazing to watch, we were in a 350' Icebreaker and not sure if we could tow her.

Shameless Canadian snowbirds will stop at nothing.

Navigator: "Captain, we are aboot 730 kilometers north of Hawaii."

Captain: "How many miles is that, eh?"

Navigator: "Aboot 700, sir."

Captain: "Hmmm, we've finished all of the Alexander Keith's, we're down to just Labatt's Blue, and I am already freezing on this bridge and I don't want to go back north anyway. I've got a plan. Go down aboot amidships and start a small fire. We'll be watching 'Hockey Night in Canada' at the Royal Hawaiian on Waikiki in no time."

Navigator: "Aye-aye."

Captain: "Sorey. Stop by the galley and get me some poutine on the way back as well. I will call in the Mayday, eh."

She is scheduled to arrive in Pearl on Thursday morning. The civilians aboard have already arrived on a USN ship.

Protecteur is schedule for the scrap heap in 2015, and she may not be repaired at all. No new AORs for the RCN until 2020 or so.

This may actually force Canada to lease a similar ship, as was discussed elsewhere, I think the USN is considering laying up a similar vessel. leasing it till our Berlin class come on line might be an option.

Don't hold your breath on the replacement ships... they want a double hulled tanker, with full hospital suit, and advanced communications suit and multi helo capability... that's not afraid of ice and had huge desalinization capabilities

and they want it cheap, arriving sometime in 2035

If the Canadian Navy is willing to talk nicely I'm sure the Islamic Iranian Navy will be able to provide something that will fit the bill just fine.

If the Canadian Navy is willing to talk nicely I'm sure the Islamic Iranian Navy will be able to provide something that will fit the bill just fine.

It would be a step up for us, that's for sure.

This is the current design that has been selected to replace our supply ships.