Cell Phones And Providers

Murph

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In some ways I do not like it as much as the M7 version. It is not as loud despite reviews claiming it is louder. Bluetooth works very well, battery life is about the same. The Otterbox case I purchased, the belt clip broke less than an hour into my using it. Then I had to jump through hoops for the warranty process, but they claim they are replacing it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My one year old Lenovo P780 gets replaced with the Lenovo P70. The P780 was a great phone, the 4000mah battery being the main reason I got it. But I'm looking to have 4G/LTE connectivity which the P780 doesn't have. Enter the P70 which I learned this morning. Impressive specs for the price. A mid-range LTE phone with 16GB internal memory, 2GB RAM, and up to 32GB expandable IIRC. Also, I was told you can hook a thumbdrive to it and it can access the contents of that thumb drive - nice! AND it's got a 4000mah battery like the P780 which is why I bought it. Can go for two days without a top up. :) P70 is also lighter and a weeeeeee bit thinner than the P780. The added "armor" back casing has texture to help prevent hand slippage. Nice phone. :)

I haven't seen any of the Lenovo offerings here, how do they compare with the Samsung and HTC offerings? I just changed from an Otterbox defender case to an Urban Armor Gear case with a tempered glass screen protector for my HTC M8, and other than lacking a belt clip, the UAG case is perfect.

My one year old Lenovo P780 gets replaced with the Lenovo P70. The P780 was a great phone, the 4000mah battery being the main reason I got it. But I'm looking to have 4G/LTE connectivity which the P780 doesn't have. Enter the P70 which I learned this morning. Impressive specs for the price. A mid-range LTE phone with 16GB internal memory, 2GB RAM, and up to 32GB expandable IIRC. Also, I was told you can hook a thumbdrive to it and it can access the contents of that thumb drive - nice! AND it's got a 4000mah battery like the P780 which is why I bought it. Can go for two days without a top up. :) P70 is also lighter and a weeeeeee bit thinner than the P780. The added "armor" back casing has texture to help prevent hand slippage. Nice phone. :)

I haven't used any Samsung phone, and have used an old (Android v2-something) HTC before. Typical droid, only with longer battery life because of that 4000mAH battery. Not much accessories out there for Lenovo though unlike Samsung and Apple's products. I've been looking for an Otterbox case for my previous Lenovo but found nothing (I haven't done online searching though). The P780 is tough, too. Has fallen several times onto concrete and no cracks, no bugs, working good.

• 2 months later...

Well Lupe managed to completely zorch her iPhone 5 a month before I was planning on getting her the iPhone 6s. The girl at AT&T told Sarah and I: "looks like this phone has been dropped a lot, her case looks pretty chewed up." Also she left it in the glove box of the truck at the coast in 95+ heat with 80+% humidity. So she got a new iPhone 6 basic (16 gb) model, the 4.7" version, and a new otterbox case, and she seems to like it. I was so hoping to keep her phone running for at least another month so she could get an iPhone 6s. My HTC One M8 is still chugging along, but I think next phone for me will be a Blackberry classic. I text, I call, I email, and do some light websurfing. Thats it.

The NEW Blackberry. The passport, and one ugly mother it is. But apparently it has sold 200,000 in the first day.

Canadian government issues only blackberries to it's employees who get a cellphone, so that's a good chunk of sales.

• 2 months later...

Well Blackberry has come out with the PRIV (stupid name), running Android 5.1.1 and it looks nice. I saw one at an AT&T store in San Antonio on the NW side of town. Big phone, but suprisingly well balanced. I am going to wait until the beta test period is over, and look at a new phone Q1 next year.

• 4 weeks later...

Well Blackberry has come out with the PRIV (stupid name), running Android 5.1.1 and it looks nice. I saw one at an AT&T store in San Antonio on the NW side of town. Big phone, but suprisingly well balanced. I am going to wait until the beta test period is over, and look at a new phone Q1 next year.

I have the Nexus 6. Love it. I'd like to go back to Blackberry, but I don't now if I trust them anymore.

I agree 100%.

I have the Nexus 6. Love it. I'd like to go back to Blackberry, but I don't now if I trust them anymore.

• 2 weeks later...

My Galaxy Note 2 has been great, but it's starting to die on me. It randomly turns itself off or reboots, crashes with increasing frequency (I think due to running out of memory), and no longer has the sound quality it once did.

Looking at the current crop of phablets, I'm not too impressed, but the Blackberry Priv looks good "on paper".

I'm a big guy (6'4") with sausage-like fingers, bad eyesight, and bad hearing, so a large display is a must, as is a high audio volume with no distortion. I also need more than the Note 2's 2GB of memory, and am not willing to compromise on an external storage device (sdc or sdcx). A lot of battery ranks high on the "nice-to-have" list.

The Note 4 and Note 5 are regressions, imo, with worse audio, less memory, and lower battery life compared to the Note 2, so I widened my search. The Sony Xperia Z5 and Blackberry Priv both meet my criteria.

It doesn't look like the Z5 will be available in the United States for a long while (if ever), so when I have a chance I'm going to head to the mall and give the Priv a try. The "Reception" section of the Priv's wikipedia article is heartening; the downsides mentioned are things I mostly don't care about, and its audio is purported to be excellent. We'll see if the reality matches up.

I'd hoped my next phone might be a Jolla device, but it doesn't look like there are any Jolla phablets yet. I don't particularly like Android (but loved Maemo, Jolla's SailfishOS's distant ancestor, on my n810), but like Windows and iOS even less, so what to do?

If the Priv disappoints, I guess I'll just continue nursing the Note 2 along until something better appears on the market.

Edited by TTK Ciar

• 4 weeks later...

My Lumia 920 is now 3 years old and needs replacement, I was waiting for the 950 with W10 but now it looks like MS has very little interest in keeping the platform alive. I'll never buy an iphone and I don't want a google account so I'm kind of at a loss now.

The Priv is "okay", but for $700 I'd want better than just "okay". Looking now at the Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0, which is almost too large for me to use as a phone, but offers the features I want for less than half the price of the Priv.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My Lumia 920 is now 3 years old and needs replacement, I was waiting for the 950 with W10 but now it looks like MS has very little interest in keeping the platform alive. I'll never buy an iphone and I don't want a google account so I'm kind of at a loss now.

You got the 950 in the end, didn't you Fritz? I've got one for work and I'm not that impressed, you pretty much need a Microsoft account (previously known as a live id) so whether you have a google account or a microsoft account is pretty "damned if you do"... I also bought a sony Z5 compact to have for a personal/private phone since there are apps that doesn't get developed to the WP platform, plus some got really bad for WP10. Unfortunately WP10 isn't that good IMHO, it's a shame because I liked WP8.1 :/

/R

Hope you like it. I just picked up the new HTC 10, and so far I am impressed and annoyed. Mostly impressed, somewhat annoyed with some of the software decisions they made.

I just went to the darkside. Got an iPhone 6s Plus. The Nexus 6 got so buggy it became unusable. The iPhone just works.

The Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge is (finally) a worthy successor to the Note 2. The "Edge" display is gimmicky, but it offers a bigger battery than the non-Edge S7. Just waiting for the price to come down before I buy.

One thing I like very much of the Lumias is their relative ruggedness. Could be dropped on hard floor without breaking. Infamously, I dropped mine from the TC hatch onto the turret floor of a Luchs.

Are the Samsung ones so durable?