Cell Phones And Providers

Murph

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see so many kids with cellphones that have cracked screens. Why did their parents not buy them an Otterbox or Lifeproof case for their phones? Other than Victoria's slider phone, all our phones are either in Otterboxes or Lifeproof cases. When Victoria gets the iPhone in May, she is getting a Lifeproof case.

• 1 month later...

Look and feel. For me, in a cell phone is pretty important. The HTC phones have a great look and feel, menus are close and accessable. A buddy has a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, and it takes 2-3 extra steps to find things in the menus. HTC, for me, feels closer to "stock" android. As much crap as I give Apple for iOS, it has a similar look and feel to my HTC. Victoria is finally getting her smartphone this friday, an iPhone 5s.

My first smartphone was an iPhone 3GS, but after it was stolen I used a cheap Droid phone. A few weeks ago, I joyfully upgraded to an i4. My problem now is that the 4G data sucks data like nobody's business! In the few weeks I've had it, I've used over a gig of data. With the 3G phones, I never used a gig a month, and that was constantly surfing (checking media at every opportunity). With my new phone, I am switching off the cell data when I am not actually using it.

While Droid does have some tricks the iPhone lacks (a much more versatile keyboard, for one) the Apple system is much more comfortable to me--likely because that was my first smartphone, hence my initial 'imprint'.

If I did not like the HTC phones so much, I would probably move to an iPhone, as much as I hate the sanctimonious Apple fanboyism from some at work. I really got to check out the various Samsung offerings at work, since I learned a power saving trick, but the Samsung menu system in their UI really is horrid. It takes FAR to long to get anywhere.

I see so many kids with cellphones that have cracked screens. Why did their parents not buy them an Otterbox or Lifeproof case for their phones? Other than Victoria's slider phone, all our phones are either in Otterboxes or Lifeproof cases. When Victoria gets the iPhone in May, she is getting a Lifeproof case.

It seems a lot of people carry their phones in their hip pockets...

Edited by shep854

It seems a lot of people carry their phones in their hip pockets...

In a recent photo/vid shoot of a bike race, I stupidly placed my smartphone on my knee pocket while I was shooting from prone position, lying over some rocks. Did some crawling, too.

It was only when I was about to check my phone for messages that I saw the screen was cracked.

Having it fixed is gonna take a month and will cost almost the same as the phone itself (at current prices).

Hoping to get mine next week. And I won't be putting it in my knee pocket next time I'm shooting another race hehehehe

So I'm getting a Lenovo P780 because of its battery life (the cracked smartphone had a dismal battery life), which is pretty much what I need as I go to the field.

Edited by TomasCTT

The 4G seems to be bleeding me white with data charges. In the few weeks since I got my i4, I've gone through over 1meg of data. My plan provides 1meg, which I have never exceeded previously with 3G. To minimize data useage, I am switching off the 'cellular data' feature and basically turned off many apps.

Given that I'm charged $20 for every extra 500gb, applied automatically, I'm a tad annoyed.

• 4 months later...

So I'm getting a Lenovo P780 because of its battery life (the cracked smartphone had a dismal battery life), which is pretty much what I need as I go to the field.

I've had the P780 for some months already and it is just awesome because of the battery life. I only charge it every other day, sometimes leaving it uncharged for two days because there's still enough life in it. I usually charge it when it's at 15% left. I use it for surfing, checking email, calls and text. With my previous smartphone, I'd've required to charge it twice sometimes thrice a day. The P780 goes strong. Once went out on a bike ride with GPS and WiFi. Still ticking. Camping overnight in the field with GPS, WiFi, using the astronomy app, watching movies, playing games - around 40% life still remained after that, so didn't have to charge it anymore. As long as I don't crack the screen (hehehe) it's a keeper.

No issues as of yet. And I've dropped it several times but it's still ok. I think the gel-y aftermarket case around it helped protect the phone in those drops.

Only complaint is that it isn't an MHL-compatible device, but then I don't usually connect this to a HD TV so not really an issue (although, as with some features, it'd be nice to have). Also, not waterproof/resistant unlike the new Samsung flagship or the Sony Xperia models which seem to be a basic feature.

I've noticed Lenovo has given a big consideration WRT battery life for some of its phones, some having 3000mHA, and others 4000mHA (like the 780). Being a dual SIM is a plus too. All in all, it's perfect for me and am very happy about it.

Now if they can only produce a waterproof version.... ^_^

I've got a Nokia 1020 which is a nice phone imho, replaced a Nokia 800 which was a better sized phone, again imho. I haven't had any real issues with Windows and am not that much of an app freak so it doesn't bother me that much. Sometimes it's a bit annoying that apps are only available for android/iphone though.

/R

I got the 6 to replace my trusty two-year old 5. No lines necessary if you preorder. The 6 Plus (or any phablet) was never an option for me. After a week with it, I'm getting used to the size, but while I love the bigger screen, I still find myself missing the smaller form factor when using the thing one handed.

If played with android and while I apreciate it, iOS is a better fit for me. From the current lineup I would pick the Moto X or a Nexus. However, I don't see that happening any time soon.

OK, I admit it. I don't have or have ever had a cell phone. This will probably change this year. I have several rental properties than I run via my answering machine, email, and my two repairmen.

It finally happened, I now have a cell phone. A friend gave me her Verizon LG fliphone and drove me to her friend who manages a phone store and signed me up for the cheap plan. 250 monthly minutes for about $14 monthly. Works fine for my rental business, but it is mildly hard to text on.

The NEW Blackberry. The passport, and one ugly mother it is. But apparently it has sold 200,000 in the first day.

IMO, it looks pretty good. I like its appearance. I think it'll fit my lifestyle.

A coworker is raving about his Asus phone. I forgot what model but spec-wise, it sounds a lot of value for money.

• 1 month later...