Kiev Is Burning

X-Files

1 hour ago, crazyinsane105 said:

How are these guys going to survive the winter if they can’t even get anything basic in Russia??

It looks bad and it is, but this particular debacle is probably just a case of 'official somewhere tried to do something they have never done before at short notice and without much thought'. Which is impermissible, but might not reflect much on the capacity of the army to train and equip these recruits.

I would think that anyone capable would commandeer some hall or school or some other civic building and set up some canteen at the least, even if they had no plans for mobilisation. This sort of contingency should be in place anyway in the case of natural disaster, even if mobilisation plans are not in place.

• Replies 89.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roman Alymov

• Stuart Galbraith

• glenn239

• Josh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Yama said:

MiG-31? Well that's interesting, none of the MiG-31 units are based on Black Sea AFAIK. Some time ago ppl here were wondering why they weren't seen anywhere.

Meanwhile, Ukrainians claim to have shot down Ka-52 on Zaporižžia front. The video only shows some crashed aircraft burning and which appear to be rockets going off, so it probably is an attack helo of some kind.

They also claimed another shootdown, but again it might be the same event shot from different viewpoint.

Wonder if it was a Kinzhal carrier? Would explain why there was so many flames and smoke I guess...

Funny how the NATO fans try to downplay the total defeat of the corrupt, liberal West in Afghanistan. The West was defeated in Afghanistan, it was defeated in Iraq and it will be defeated in Russia. In fact Russia will not only defeat the West's armies but also their way of life. Europe will be freed from anglo-american hegemony.

24 minutes ago, seahawk said:

Funny how the NATO fans try to downplay the total defeat of the corrupt, liberal West in Afghanistan. The West was defeated in Afghanistan, it was defeated in Iraq and it will be defeated in Russia. In fact Russia will not only defeat the West's armies but also their way of life. Europe will be freed from anglo-american hegemony.

Hmmm.

With a little luck, maybe they can roll up the Russian flank west of the Krasna River all the way up to the border. Though I suspect that as the battle for Lyman turned out to be more protracted than the rapid collapse around Kupyansk, the Russian troops will have reoriented towards the threat from the south by now.

14 hours ago, Yama said:

I find this glorification of mythical Western Jedi training amusing

I had to search first. But it goes well with this question.

https://www.thebulwark.com/i-commanded-u-s-army-europe-heres-what-i-saw-in-the-russian-and-ukrainian-armies/

3 minutes ago, Yama said:

All you do is to keep making same excuses over and over again "oh it was the politicians" while glossing over military failures. Which I have pointed out and you did not respond to any of them, so I think settles the issue.

Military means are only an extension of politics. With no political vision and the political will to make that vision happen, the military can not decide the outcome of a conflict. Afghanistan is just another Vietnam.

2 hours ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

Wonder if it was a Kinzhal carrier? Would explain why there was so many flames and smoke I guess...

OR maybe not, there is the claimed loss of a MiG-29 far behind the lines a couple of days ago to an unknown agent that could have been an R-33 (AA-9)

I don't agree that insurgencies cannot be defeated (historically, most have been defeated...), or that modern societies (or 'the West') are 'too soft' to deal with them.  Iraqi insurgency was eventually managed. Russia did defeat Chechens in the 2nd war. Etc. Something similar could have been achieved in Afghanistan.

3 hours ago, seahawk said:

This may be your subtlest satire yet. Equating modern Russia with Afghanistan, best described as a tribal shithole with useful mineral reserves. Priceless.

2 hours ago, R E lee said:

http://www.ibiblio.org/pha/policy/1945/450729a.html#2 Offererd and accepted "The Japanese Government are ready to accept the terms enumerated in the joint declaration which was issued at Potsdam on July 26th, 1945, by the heads of the Governments of the United States, Great Britain, and China, and later subscribed to by the Soviet Government, with the understanding that the said declaration does not comprise any demand which prejudices the prerogatives of His Majesty as a Sovereign Ruler.

Not accepted:

"With regard to the Japanese Government's message accepting the terms of the Potsdam proclamation but containing the statement, 'with the understanding that the said declaration does not comprise any demand which prejudices the prerogatives of His Majesty as a sovereign ruler,' our position is as follows:

"From the moment of surrender the authority of the Emperor and the Japanese Government to rule the state shall be subject to the Supreme Commander of the Allied powers who will take such steps as he deems proper to effectuate the surrender terms.

Can we separate the art of war/Afghanistan comparisons into another thread or else drop the topic as non productive?

It kinda looks like the AFU is pinching the region between the Krasna  and Oskil from Kupyansk and Lyman directions. I don't think there's a lot of strategic value in that, but it seems to be low hanging fruit and perhaps the hope is troops from other regions or else fresh mobilizations will have to be directed there.

Edited by Josh

1 hour ago, Josh said:

Can we separate the art of war/Afghanistan comparisons into another thread or else drop the topic as non productive?

It kinda looks like the AFU is pinching the region between the Krasna  and Oskil from Kupyansk and Lyman directions. I don't think there's a lot of strategic value in that, but it seems to be low hanging fruit and perhaps the hope is troops from other regions or else fresh mobilizations will have to be directed there.

If they can get to Pokrovske, they cut the North-South road to the border. There might be some useful strategic effects in doing that.

6 hours ago, BansheeOne said:

With a little luck, maybe they can roll up the Russian flank west of the Krasna River all the way up to the border. Though I suspect that as the battle for Lyman turned out to be more protracted than the rapid collapse around Kupyansk, the Russian troops will have reoriented towards the threat from the south by now.

And Lyman was being held by relatively fewer Russian troops than initially suspected, without a lot of heavy equipment. Still took some time to take it, people thought it would fall early this week but was a bit longer