Kiev Is Burning

X-Files

3 hours ago, Huba said:

There's actually 10  if you count in the MARS II. And reportedly more HIMARS is to be announced today:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ukraine-aid-package-long-range-rocket-systems-this-week/

Just to get some perspective, Ukraine had ~70 BM-30 and ~90 BM-27 before 24.2.

• Replies 89.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roman Alymov

• Stuart Galbraith

• glenn239

• Josh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, Perun said:

Capillary wave came from the west, tidal wave came from the east

In arms supplies to allies? Hardly. In fact a good bit of American Lend-Lease did of course go to the USSR. Other than expat formations fighting alongside the Red Army, I don't think a lot of Soviet eqipment went to allied nations.

13 minutes ago, bojan said:

Just to get some perspective, Ukraine had ~70 BM-30 and ~90 BM-27 before 24.2.

Sure, but given that M142/ M270 areto be used exclusively as PGM launch platform, direct comparison really doesn't make sense in my opinion, apples to oranges. What remains to be seen is if that capability will be enough against area targets? I don't think so, but maybe logistics will be able to be scaled up to support the M26s in the future?

21 minutes ago, BansheeOne said:

In arms supplies to allies? Hardly. In fact a good bit of American Lend-Lease did of course go to the USSR. Other than expat formations fighting alongside the Red Army, I don't think a lot of Soviet eqipment went to allied nations.

Not so much in equipment (although Polish and Czechoslovakian army and later Yugoslav peoples army got plenty of weapons from Soviets) but in peoples (soldiers)

1 hour ago, sunday said:

Someone forgot that the Suez Crisis of 1956 put an end to any Great Power illusion the United Kingdom could still entertain.

Back to reality:

Someone forgets that when one talks of the Arsenal of Democracy, it is exclusively talking about the American Military Industrial Complex. Im aware BAE bought large bits of it up, but they havent run it into the ground yet you know.

57 minutes ago, BansheeOne said:

Well we got a T34 and a KV1. They were very good, but they werent that good. :D

11 minutes ago, Perun said:

I quoted Stuart

Ok, so that is opaque, and if Ive muddled it in trying to untangle it, you will just have to forgive me for it.

If you are suggesting that the Soviets won the war, Its worth pointing out a point that the Soviet Cheerleading section always forgets. There is absolutely no doubt the Soviets broke the back of the Wehrmacht, no doubt about it, never disputed it. That they did it with not an inconsiderable amount of American, British and Canadian weapons, not to mention ammunition and metals, and that their own tanks were built in tractor plants built by American businessmen, well lets give them that victory nonetheless.

That still leaves the Kriegsmarine, and the Luftwaffe to be completely defeated, something the Soviets did not in any way do. The British, the Americans, the Australians,the French, the Kiwis, the Canucks, the Poles, the Czechs and the Dutch, Norwegians and Belgiums can all take credit for that.

I dont overlook what the Soviets did to win the war. The problem is  far too often they overlook what everyone else did to win the war. Dont you think that destroying the Lufwaffe was probably of more significance to the way the war went, than destroying 200 primarily horse drawn Divisions?

So yes, it was the Arsenal of Democracy that won the war. And even now, Russian leaders seeming cannot understand what this means when it gets rolling. Watch this space.

1 hour ago, sunday said:

Armored trains do pose interesting problems from a railway traffic control side, also they struck me as being incredibly vulnerable, especially when operating on enemy-held track, to things as simple as derailment.

Those on the videos looked like they were doing line of communication security.

Locomotive control software looked German in origin, for diesel-electric engines.

Exactly, they are not supposed to go against tanks, just light armed diversion groups. Derailment is not so massive problem if they move at slow speed.

More about reconstructing bridges

1655825598_6251402_original.jpg

1655825530_6251105_original.jpg

source https://topcor.ru/26387-rossijskie-vojska-zavershili-navedenie-pereprav-v-harkovskoj-oblasti.html

A French source informed that Russia has captured 2 CAESAR artillery systems, which have been taken to Uralvagonzavod in Niznhy Novgorod for study and reverse engineering.

https://eadaily.com/ru/news/2022/06/23/rossiyskie-trofei-broshennye-vsu-francuzskie-cezari-izuchayut-na-uralvagonzavode?utm_source=smi2&utm_term=20626b9624a73d583e2c6c6866780d41&utm_content=89445

IMO it is fishy because no claim has been published by Russian/Donbass Republics. Also, UVZ plant at Nizhny Tagil deals with tanks. Artillery design takes place in Nizhny Novgorod. In any case, what is the most useful thing that could be found from studying this system? France is already designing a replacement.

8 minutes ago, alejandro_ said:

Also, UVZ plant at Nizhny Tagil deals with tanks

In the meantime, half the armaments industry for heavy weapons has come together under the UVZ label. It has been very strongly centralized and consolidated. And everything belongs under the Rostekh "bed covers".

1 hour ago, Stefan Kotsch said:

In the meantime, half the armaments industry for heavy weapons has come together under the UVZ label. It has been very strongly centralized and consolidated. And everything belongs under the Rostekh "bed covers".

That made sense after the chaos in the 1990s, when the same system was being offered by different entities.

Capture is now confirmed by UVZ.

https://iz.ru/1354337/2022-06-23/uralvagonzavod-poblagodaril-makrona-za-postavlennuiu-ukraine-tekhniku?utm_source=yxnews&utm_medium=desktop

That de Castelnau dude seems a bigtime Macron critic? He maybe posts anything which can be spinned into Macron critique...

Not impossible ofc, but 'fancy weapon system X captured' stories have been very common in this war.

On the energy front, bad news for those that expected to use US gas in Europe to replace Russian one.

One of the largest operators of liquefied natural gas export terminals in the United States suffered a massive blow last week that will leave its main plant fully offline through September, and only partially operational after that through year’s end.

Freeport Liquefied Natural Gas says damage from a mysterious fire and explosion that took place at its Texas facility was so severe that it is simply not possible to get things back up and running as quickly as some may have hoped.

This is really bad news for Europe, which is already short on natural gas due to the war in Ukraine. Natural gas prices immediately jumped in Europe following the news, while slumping in the United States.

Edited by sunday

7 minutes ago, sunday said:

On the energy front, bad news for those that expected to use US gas in Europe to replace Russian one.

I think the key words are here: "Natural gas prices immediately jumped in Europe following the news, while slumping in the United States."  - how convenient for both US politicians struggling to reduce inflation, US LNG producers and US production industry....  Europe is to pay the cost of it.

5 minutes ago, Roman Alymov said:

I think the key words are here: "Natural gas prices immediately jumped in Europe following the news, while slumping in the United States."  - how convenient for both US politicians struggling to reduce inflation, US LNG producers and US production industry....  Europe is to pay the cost of it.

Well, if it is good for America, then it was not a Biden deed.

15 minutes ago, Roman Alymov said:

The willingness of the Europeans to commit economic suicide for the Ukraine is always amazing.

I think cheap energy is more important than who rules the Ukraine. Let Russia take the Ukraine, drop all sanctions against Russia.

8 minutes ago, sunday said:

Well, if it is good for America, then it was not a Biden deed.

I'm affraid there are two Americas, and what is good for one - is bad for another, and vice versa. But let's leave it to USians, they know their country better anyway.

4 minutes ago, sunday said:

When even that kind of trolling based on exaggeration falls short, the situation is beyond screwed.

I'd heard of the LNG accident last week online, but the mainstream media did not pick up the story.  I'm wondering what caused the accident, beyond the cryptic statement of a pipe bursting because of overpressure.