Kiev Is Burning

X-Files

12 hours ago, R011 said:

No.  They were allowed to stay in the UK as immigrants, mostly becoming naturalized citizens as their children born there were by birthright.

Interesting. The US did something similar with the Labor Service / Civilian Support units post WWII in Europe.

Labor Service

Polish Military In American Army

--
Leo

• Replies 89.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roman Alymov

• Stuart Galbraith

• glenn239

• Josh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TrustMe said:

Dated 9th March, an interesting summary of the early part of the war, and it shows how the character has changed since then.

Oryx really has a lock on public perception.

Good note on the Russians sparing the Electrical/Telkom infrastructure when compared to its systematic destruction in US attacks. The same could be said for transport infrastructure. Would be interesting to know what the pro/con arguments of the decision makers were.

Deputy commander of Azov Rgt (who was their spokesperson from Mariupol) believed to be among killed in helicopter

Alive https://t.me/boris_rozhin/38358

Dead https://t.me/boris_rozhin/38359

Correction: this identification was wrong, here is the man https://t.me/boris_rozhin/38402

Edited by Roman Alymov

3 minutes ago, BansheeOne said:

Yeah, the new and improved plan seems to be "okay, you can still pay in Euro to Gazprom's in-house bank, but they will need to change into rubles before further transfer".

As stated earlier, they can always demand ruble on the spot market, but if existing contracts are in Western currencies, that's what they'll get (take that, you bastards!). The rational here was "let's see whether they think we need their gas more than they need our money"; guess that long-hypothetized question has now been answered, though I suspect part of the reason for the Russian cave-in is that the measure wasn't really needed to boost the Ruble anymore after they had already succeded in bringing it back to almost pre-sanction value by other means.

The announcement alone moved the market and scared off short sellers, so probably achieved it's major aim. 

23 minutes ago, glenn239 said:

That all depends on who wins the war. 

Not really. It sucks to be Ukraine, but Russia ends up weaker militarily and economically regardless of the outcome. I'd argue that it actually is in US interests for Russia to take Donbas and declare victory, because that reduces the likelihood of a nuclear exchange while still leaving Russia in a strategically less advantageous position.

32 minutes ago, 17thfabn said:

Can't say that I follow news on qanon. But I've seen no news reports on their views on the Russian dictator in US news. 

Most of the movement dispersed once it became really obvious that Q was a bs artist, but remnants still hang to the hope, preaching how "something big is just around a corner!"; obviously a major war is a boon for them. I don't know how many of the US Qanon scene feel that way, but our local nutties think Putin is a messiah, along with Trump and JFK Jr (??). Sometimes also Xi is included.

Edited by Yama

1 minute ago, Josh said:

Not really. It sucks to be Ukraine, but Russia ends up weaker militarily and economically regardless of the outcome. I'd argue that it actually is in US interests for Russia to take Donbas and declare victory, because that reduces the likelihood of a nuclear exchange while still leaving Russia in a strategically less advantageous position.

I think in long term USA might be the biggest loser. War and sanctions have pushed Russia, China and (possibly) India to start making their own system that will replace US dollar as a main currency in International market. And that is IMO what China really gets from this conflict and why it support Russia.

7 hours ago, Perun said:

German Unions Warn Russian Energy Embargo Would Shutter Industry

- Unions claim fallout would ripple through global supply chains

- IG Metall, IGBCE, IG Bau set out energy sanction opposition

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-03-29/german-unions-warn-russian-energy-embargo-would-shutter-industry?srnd=premium-europe

Letting oneself get stampeded into stupidity hurts.

1 minute ago, MiGG0 said:

I think in long term USA might be the biggest loser. War and sanctions have pushed Russia, China and (possibly) India to start making their own system that will replace US dollar as a main currency in International market. And that is IMO what China really gets from this conflict and why it support Russia.

Its not like China wasn't already going down that road as best it could. But no one is going to use yuan as a primary tradable currency because of all the restrictions China puts on it (most especially outflows from China), and China is never releasing those controls (particularly as China itself hits an economic bump in the road). So I don't see the economic war changing the world financial order, at least not in the short to medium term. At some point in the distant future maybe China changes its outlook on centralized economic control as result of lessons learned from this crisis. But currently Xi is in the process of locking the Chinese economy and its private companies down, not opening things up.

Sideeffect of sanction   - to some extent related to Ukraine

tass_51840791.jpg

The 142-meter yacht Nord of Russian billionaire Alexey Mordashov arrived in the port of Vladivostok and caused a big stir in the city. According to a local news resource newsvl.ru , Nord arrived from the Seychelles.

Her journey to the Far Eastern capital took almost three weeks. Many people came to admire one of the largest yachts in the world at the berths of the seaport. In the pictures in the local media, the ship looks bigger than the seaport building.

His arrival was an event for the residents of the city, said the correspondent of the newspaper "Far Eastern Vedomosti" Valeria Fedorenko:

Valeria Fedorenko
correspondent of the newspaper "Far Eastern Vedomosti"
"It could be seen from different parts of Vladivostok. Our city is located on the hills, so really from different parts of Vladivostok you could see how she moored to the sea station, how she passes through the Russian Bridge, all this is very beautiful. Big, bigger than the sea station. In general, in Vladivostok at about this time, even a little earlier, the cruise ship season begins. Recently, before the covid, a lot of large ocean liners came to us, and they were also a kind of attraction for Vladivostok residents. On the one hand, the city was a tourist attraction center. On the other hand, we also looked at these beautiful, huge ships that come into our harbor. But now, because of Covid, because of the situation related to a special military operation, we probably won't host any large ocean cruise ships for a long time, but we have such a beautiful yacht, so Vladivostok residents rushed to look at it, and it's really beautiful. The marine station is located in such a way that you can walk through it and go out to the viewing platform, from which you can perfectly see the ships that are moored at the pier. A lot of people admired it. Social networks are filled with messages, photos of this yacht. The funny thing is that this yacht costs more than the revenue part of the Vladivostok budget. The people offer to sell the yacht and buy Ussuriysk."

According to RIA Novosti, there are about 30 crew members on board the yacht, all foreigners. They draw up documents for staying in the Russian Federation. According to the source of the publication, the yacht will be re-registered in Russia.

The yacht Nord is considered one of the largest in the world. She has six decks, the hull is made of steel, and there is a helipad in the bow. It was launched last year. The cost of the vessel is estimated at about $ 300 million.

The Russian billionaire, who became the richest man in Russia in February 2021, the main owner of Severstal, Alexey Mordashov, fell under Western sanctions on February 28.

1 minute ago, Josh said:

Its not like China wasn't already going down that road as best it could. But no one is going to use yuan as a primary tradable currency because of all the restrictions China puts on it (most especially outflows from China), and China is never releasing those controls (particularly as China itself hits an economic bump in the road). So I don't see the economic war changing the world financial order, at least not in the short to medium term. At some point in the distant future maybe China changes its outlook on centralized economic control as result of lessons learned from this crisis. But currently Xi is in the process of locking the Chinese economy and its private companies down, not opening things up.

True, China was going to do that anyway but now it gets Russia and probably India with it also. Those 3 combined is huge market and big loss for dollar.

"The document dated December, 15, 2021 presents a response to request from Ukrainian Motor Sich company to the Turkish drone manufacturer Baykar Makina.

Turkish drone manufacturer answers a number of questions of the Ukrainian side regarding the characteristics of its products.

Questions 9 and 10 draw attention. Data on the maximum payload and aerosol spraying system/mechanism, with a capacity of over 20 litres, are required.

▫️Given the fact that the Russian Defence Ministry has already known about the implementation of US military biological programs in Ukraine under the guidance of DTRA, we can assume that the Bayraktars were planned to be adapted to spray chemical warfare substances over enemy territory, more precisely in his deep rear area, because the range of this UAV (Bayraktar Akinci) is almost 300 kilometres (twice as much as that of the standard TB2). " 

https://t.me/mod_russia_en/536

21 minutes ago, Yama said:

Most of the movement dispersed once it became really obvious that Q was a bs artist, but remnants still hang to the hope, preaching how "something big is just around a corner!"; obviously a major war is a boon for them. I don't know how many of the US Qanon scene feel that way, but our local nutties think Putin is a messiah, along with Trump and JFK Jr (??). Sometimes also Xi is included.

JFK jr. is apparently a big anti-vaxxer; he has spoken at German Corona protests. Xi should be a bigger puzzler, but I've seen the Chinese government getting credit for banning "effeminate" male actors from the screen and similar socially conservative acts against "Western decadence", so I guess it kinda makes sense. Noone has ever accused the QAnon crowd of consistency, except by their own standards. 😁

For anybody trying to find their messaging on Ukraine, just look for any mention of "biolabs".

23 minutes ago, Yama said:

qanaon always was a fringe element. 

Funny how groups latch on to leaders. The rastafarians latched on to Ethiopian Emperor Hailie Selassie as their God.

All I know about rastafarians is they are into Emperor Selassie and like to smoke lots of pot.

All I know about qanaon is they are into weird conspiracy theories and they have this guy:

https://www.google.com/search?q=qanon+shaman&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjOpaWCyfD2AhUBKX0KHQnRBD4Q_AUoAnoECAIQBA&biw=1366&bih=617&dpr=1#imgrc=ewbH0tzAl0f2UM

10 minutes ago, BansheeOne said:

JFK jr. is apparently a big anti-vaxxer; he has spoken at German Corona protests. 

Probably not ....... since he died in a plane crash in 1999.

Do you mean RFK Jr. perhaps? 

9 minutes ago, 17thfabn said:

Probably not ....... since he died in a plane crash in 1999.

Do you mean RFK Jr. perhaps? 

May be, may be not, he has been seen with Elvis... 

53 minutes ago, Josh said:

Which when you get down to it would be pretty hilarious, minus the thousands of dead bodies and wrecked lives. Russia gains several hundred square miles of devastated and wrecked territory, sans most of the Russians they assumed they would gain for the cause, and NATO gets to move its drinks cabinet several hundred miles closer to Moscow. All at the cost of buggering up its economy and its primary means of political inducement, its Army.

At least it has settled something, Putin isnt the strategic thinker he was built up to be.

41 minutes ago, MiGG0 said:

True, China was going to do that anyway but now it gets Russia and probably India with it also. Those 3 combined is huge market and big loss for dollar.

Do those countries have major trades between each other? Are those trades balanced enough that one side would accept a foreign currency and then use it to buy services from the other country? More over, is India likely to adopt a policy of paying China in Yuan and promoting their currency? Is anyone going to pay for anything in rubles if it doesn't directly involve buying commodities from Russia?

I just don't see a big downstream effect on global trade.