Kiev Is Burning

X-Files

10 minutes ago, Tim Sielbeck said:

Танк пруда BE BORN!!!

I think that is an old photo.

bZwFsGefHgg.jpg?size=1280x464&quality=96&sign=65fde23e405204810842f914a3ca619a&type=album

-OlD6jHvBYI.jpg?size=1242x787&quality=96&sign=eb8809096459b5e0e0e798c005f73767&type=album

3LAj6dya1rc.jpg?size=1242x729&quality=96&sign=2476ccd9a9fa73d68aef69fd213af9da&type=album

Abandoned Mi-2/8/24 helicopters in Kherson. While Ukraine could carry out overhauls it did not produce blades. In late 2020 testing with new ones produced by Motor-Sich started.

• Replies 89.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roman Alymov

• Stuart Galbraith

• glenn239

• Josh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Stuart Galbraith said:

Russia has divisions, brigades and army groups coming out of its ears. How much good has it done them?

It's not the force structure you have, it's how you use it. Israel had only Brigades in 1973, but it was able to outfight Arab divisions 2 or three times their size.

Israel had divisions and now also have them. I wouldnt compare arab armies with Russian army. I doubt that IDF would do the same if battled with North Korean or Vietnam army. Arabs mostly have officers asigned by loyality not by profesionality.

17 minutes ago, Perun said:

Israel had divisions and now also have them. I wouldnt compare arab armies with Russian army. I doubt that IDF would do the same if battled with North Korean or Vietnam army. Arabs mostly have officers asigned by loyality not by profesionality.

I think it's entirely appropriate to compare Arabs to the Russian Army. The Egyptians in 1973 did better than this. 

You clearly underrate the Israelis. Yes they made mistakes, they also didn't integrate infantry well in armoured Brigades. But they didn't win because the Arabs were inept.

5 hours ago, DB said:

Exactly this, but also, read the tweet from the perspective of someone with no knowledge of tank ammunition natures and it answers the question: "What's those weird pointy things?" See also the comment from someone who should know better about them looking like tubes of mastic...

Russian apfsds always looks fake to me because it's the wrong color.  My brain expects 'proper' ap ammo to be black with white or yellow markings.  

3 hours ago, Roman Alymov said:

March 24, 2022, 17:49
Pensioners in the liberated part of Ukraine will receive 10 thousand rubles each
The same lump-sum payments will be received by local state employees
In the territories of Ukraine under the control of the Russian army, lump-sum payments in the amount of 10 thousand rubles to pensioners and public sector employees have begun. This was reported in the Ministry of Emergency Situations of Russia, RIA Novosti reports.
The security of financial aid points is provided by the Russian Guard.
"People are informed through the media, and then they pass the information to relatives, neighbors," said Alexander Chupriyan, acting head of the Ministry of Emergency Situations.
According to him, the first mobile point started its work the day before. Employees of the department accept documents from people and make payments. Chupriyan stressed that the task will be completed in full.

https://www.bfm.ru/news/496036

What does 10k rubles buy a person?  I have no idea what prices are like, so on the groceries for two people scale are we talking weeks, months, or longer?  Looking at a straight up conversion to dollars it's just shy of $100 which you could stretch to a week for two people.

8 minutes ago, Harold Jones said:

What does 10k rubles buy a person?  I have no idea what prices are like, so on the groceries for two people scale are we talking weeks, months, or longer?  Looking at a straight up conversion to dollars it's just shy of $100 which you could stretch to a week for two people.

According to the latest figures of Purchasing Power Parity, it should be between those $100 and about $400, if I am not wrong.

Edited by sunday

17 minutes ago, Stefan Kotsch said:

Adam Peter, who heart beats for Russia? Just asking out of interest.

You don't like what you see compared to what would like to see?

11 minutes ago, Yama said:

Wasn't Southern part of the town in Ukrainian hands at least some time ago?

Exactly.

4 minutes ago, RETAC21 said:

Helpfully, the French have a pdf with all the situation maps

file:///C:/Users/pepe/Downloads/SITUATION_ARCHIVE_UKRAINE_2_AU_24_MARS.pdf

That is local to Pepe's machine

On 3/23/2022 at 9:00 AM, glenn239 said:

When a Javelin missile is able to cook a main battle tank, and the defenders have them in party favor quantities, I don't think Soviet tactical armor doctrine has much to say on how to crack that nut.

It is not "armored doctrine" but Combined Arms Doctrine that is needed. Use your Infantry and scouts + tactical air to screen the tanks from the anti tank units. Artillery and mortars to fire on known and suspected anti tank positions. 

Tactics  that go back to at least World War II.