Operation Danube - Czechoslovakia 1968

Jim Warford

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the top picture in post 25 there is a sign with text in english and french. How common was it with french or english speaking tourists in this area in the mid 1960s? If the sign was meant for tourists that is. Also does anybody have any guess as to what the sign above said before it was painted over? Perhaps it had the same message as the one below just in Russian. ;)

Yes, fully redesigned ammo storage and some of internal fuel tanks, hence increase. Turret was actually of slightly different shape, but that is hard to see on pics.

The joke at the time was

"Why did the Russians invade Czechoslovakia?".

"The Russians entered into Czechoslovakia in response to an invitation".

"And what are they doing in there after all this time?"

"They are still looking for whoever invited them!"

"Do you know the difference between occupation and fraternal assistance?"

"Nope."

"Really?"

"Really not, a friend knew it and got two years..."

Edited by Marek Tucan

A Red Army soldier returns home from intervention in Czechoslovakia.

"So Ivan, did you see counter-revolution?"

"Oh yes, lots of counter-revolution, counter-revolution everywhere."

"I see. But where is your friend Pavel?"

"Well, he didn't see counter-revolution everywhere."

Any photos of the famous T55 that lead to the creation of the L7/M68 105mm gun?

I thought that was in Hungary -a T-54 which was crashed into an embassy-.

You're right; I was a little punchy when I wrote that. Thanks for the correction.

Any photos of the famous T55 that lead to the creation of the L7/M68 105mm gun?

I thought that was in Hungary -a T-54 which was crashed into an embassy-.

That sounds like a classical start for a joke!

By the way, an East German (or Pole, or ChzSlov, or Hungarian, take your pick) goes into a People's Police station and says:

- Comrade Policeman, two Swiss soldiers robbed me of my Soviet watch!

- Eh? Haven't you got it the wrong way round? Wasn't it two Soviet soldiers stealing your Swiss watch?

- Those are your words, not mine!

Why did Russians paint a white stripe down the center lines of their tank from front to rear and side to side? I think I saw the same painting on LL Shermans and JS tanks in black and out photos from 1945.

Edited by Jonathan Chin

A Red Army soldier returns home from intervention in Czechoslovakia.

"So Ivan, did you see counter-revolution?"

"Oh yes, lots of counter-revolution, counter-revolution everywhere."

"I see. But where is your friend Pavel?"

"Well, he didn't see counter-revolution everywhere."

Old grandfather goes to the GUM in Moscow in the 1970s, ends up waiting for two hours to buy a loaf of bread. Then when he gets to the front of the queue, the clerk tells him the bread has sold out. He can see a van full of bread loaves in a nearby alley and so he yells out: "I am a hero of the Revolution! I fought the Nazis in Stalingrad! I served the Motherland and protected her as she protected us! This is an outrage!"

A young man in a heavy overcoat steps up and claps his arm around the fellow's shoulders and says "Well, you know, Comrade, we must all make do the best we can eh? Now...please, don't create a fuss or..." and he winks, smiles and makes a pistol motion towards his temple. The man walks home dejectedly. When he gets home his wife sees he is empty handed and says "Ivan! What happened? Are they out of bread?" He sits down at the table and groans. "Worse! They are out of bullets!"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ah, the East German NVA is definitely not been in Czechoslovakia

ZEIT ONLINE Year: 1994

Issue: 34

"Was the East German army in 1968 participated in the invasion of Prague? According to Stasi documents seized in East Berlin soldiers not include: Always ready

However, the documentation also supported the previous findings that the National People's Army (NVA) of the GDR did not intervene with their own combat forces in Czechoslovakia. Monika Tantzscher, the body responsible for this research associate of the Gauck Authority, white, inter alia, from the hand of the Act Stasi minister Erich Mielke , "that at that time only a news department of the NVA crossed the border." Although the entire NVA was transferred to increased combat readiness, and the 7th Armoured Division was in reserve ready. These associations, as Defense Minister Heinz Hoffmann wrote, were "on solving tasks on the territory of Czechoslovakia prepared" and ready to "fulfill all tasks". But they did not seem to interfere.

At a meeting of the Czechoslovak president Ludvic Svoboda generals of the Soviet Union, Poland, Hungary, Bulgaria and the GDR, the Deputy Secretary of Defense noted Heinz Kessler few days after the invasion, it was argued that troops of the NVA not befänden on Czechoslovak territory. As Svoboda interjected, but there are reports that the troops of the NVA were in the northern part of Czechoslovakia, "these rumors," both of NVA General Martin Bleck and by the Soviet Army General Pawlowski as "untrue" were rejected."